Applecare Worldwide on Desktops

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KJmoon117, Jun 10, 2007.

1. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if Applecare applies worldwide to desktops but this is one of the reasons why my dad doesn't want me to get a Mac and it got me a little concerned too.

My situation is that I'm going to buy an iMac (when the new model comes out) and go to a different country (Korea) around December so what should I do?

Buy Applecare when I buy my iMac and pray that the warranty covers when I'm in Korea or just take my chances and wait until my family goes to Korea and buy Applecare there?

2. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I think that the only worldwide Applecare is on Laptops.

The best bet is to call Apple and ask - "what happens if i move out of the US?" type of deal.

3. KJmoon117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I called my nearest AppleStore

My nearest Applestore told me that anywhere they are Applestores they will honor the warranty there..

Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

4. nightelf macrumors 6502

I think Apple changed its policy on the desktops about a year ago. Now they are covered internationally.

5. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

If that is true does it mean I can buy my Macs from ~elsewhere~ and use them in Australia?

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

if you read the warranty you'll find that its still only portables that are promised worldwide service

however, last Fall I was told by an applecare customer service agent that there is (at least for the USA) a memo in their internal service guide that instructed them to provide service for owners of dektop units bought in other countries if those units turn up in the USA......but remember that it's not in the written warranty you receive (or it wasn't last Fall) so they're not obligated to provide worldwide service for desktops

checking with applecare reps in Korea would be the best thing to do if you are worried about what the policy is in Korea