AppleCare worth every penny

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by badcrc32, Jan 1, 2011.

1. badcrc32 macrumors regular

About 2 weeks ago I was 2.5 years into my Macbook Pro. I bought the 17in 2008 model. I had my logic board, a battery, casing, keyboard, two chargers all replaced bottom line I was happy I got Applecare on my purchase.

Well I noticed my ethernet port wasn't working two weeks ago and brought it in, they replaced the logic board and I got it back...The ethernet port worked, however now there was red dots all over the screen, they replaced the logic board again and it was still failing again.

Long story short I got a new 17inch Macbook Pro through my AppleCare since there was so many issues. This computer is really amazing I ended up upgrading to the i7 which cost me an additional 400, I also went antiglare 50 bucks and 8gb of memory as well(3rd party). I dropped a grand in upgrades and applecare for 3 more years on the new computer but it is worth it.

Time to write 2 thank you notes.

2. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

no wonder you have so many problems, STOP USEING 3RD PARTY PARTS

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I lol'd. Are you one of the Apple koolaid bunch that thinks Apple RAM is different to any other RAM?

4. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

not sure if serious...

i've had 4GB of ram from OWC since 2008, and guess what.. it's 2011 and 0 issues.

5. 2056 macrumors 6502

it's always nice to read about Apple taking care of customers. i plan on purchasing applecare sometime before the 1 year mark, June-ish. :)

6. deeesea macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure he is haha.

Probably thinks the apple sock is the only way to protect his ipod :D

7. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Normally they don't let u pay to upgrade to a higher end model when they replace you unit. How did u get them to do that?

8. lilo777 macrumors 603

I don't get it. Everything that could break in this computer did just that. What's so amazing about it?

9. badcrc32 thread starter macrumors regular

Sugar?

I dont know I just asked, they were cool about it to the point where they would even custom order however I need to fly out with a computer tomorrow so that wasn't an option. I am stuck with the 5200 rpm drive I wanted to upgrade that too...It seems very fast as is, however I dont have my vmware test lab up and running will see how it performs with 4 vms running.

10. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

He said his new computer is amazing, not the old one.

11. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Dude quick get out of Jonestown--i mean Cupertino! The koolaid is not safe to drink without the danger of spouting out incorrect bs.

12. Bankaimadness macrumors 6502

2.5 years and the logic board and variety of other components are already failing?

You got to be ******** me...

Even my HP 17 inch is 4.5 years old and going. In case short I tend to think of Apple Care as a gamble. Only worth it if you are going to get a new computer out of it when your old one bricks.

13. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I'm with ya here. I mean, it's great Applecare takes care of you, but I have two old Acer laptops, I mean, old... They have to both be from around 2004 or so. Nothing has failed on them. They are slow as dirt though, but still work!

14. badcrc32 thread starter macrumors regular

Imo

I have bad luck like I ordered two iMacs and both had pixel issues and I sent them back...

Here is what I think happened. First the battery and the adapters are no big deal I am a computer guy so I put them through hell meaning twisting the cable. There was a known issue with my GPU and it failed once. However I think the Genius really messed up my computer on the repair when I brought it in two weeks ago for the ethernet port. I have no proof nor do I care. I mean all I know is I went through two more logic boards in two weeks and asked for a new computer. I am pretty happy with it. My keyboard repair was due to to my 1.5 yr old lol.....

I love this new computer though it is fast as hell.

15. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

When my 2007 santa rosa 2.2 ghz was replaced, they offered to let me pay for any additional upgrades. They also offered to upgrade me to the 17 inch from the 15 inch for free because of the express card slot. However, i didn't feel like lugging that beast around campus.

Applecare is the best. I still need to buy if for my replacement machine though. lol

16. ZebOfMac macrumors regular

ZebOfMac

Has anyone had bad, I mean really bad concerns with apple after getting a replacement?

Ever since my first MBP was replaced my local apple store (who admitted to the screw-up) are "PITA". The next closest service center is 2.5 hours away and to do that twice or even three times in one week please.

17. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

Clairvoyant

18. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

I think the old one is amazing as well, for that much to go wrong in one machine is amazing.

19. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Good for you! I keep reading similar stories here on MR. Alas, no issues whatsoever with my 2009 17" MBP. :)