Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
I just wouldn't buy a $100 insurance policy for a product like that. In fact, I did not buy AppleCare for my own base 2014 Mini. The issues you mention don't really sound like hardware problems but who knows? Feeling as you do however, you probably should have bought AppleCare.

Boyd kind of nailed it. From a financial perspective $100 is a lot to pay for an extra two year warranty on a base mini. Your Mini should be good for the next two years without it. Getting AC in your situation helps more with feeling good and not worrying about any issues but if a new Mini is released in the next two years or after then you can use that $100 savings that you didn't spend on Apple Care on a new Mini. There will also be reduced price used and Apple refurbished Mini's with warranties available during that time so it's not a big deal. No need to question your decision. Enjoy your Mini. They are great little machines.

Last edited:

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Way back when the iMac G3 700 MHz model was rockin' the scene (I still have mine too), I had AppleCare on it. The hard drive failed during the AC period and I got a new and "free with AC purchase" hard drive. SInce then, I've never had to use AppleCare and just don't have it now.

Extended warranties are worth it if an investment gets made during the time period otherwise (i.e. hard drive failure). It's an insurance that Apple hopes you never cash out and it's an insurance that you can cash out if you need to.

So...it's your call. You don't need forum permission to purchase insurance.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Way back when the iMac G3 700 MHz model was rockin' the scene (I still have mine too), I had AppleCare on it. The hard drive failed during the AC period and I got a new and "free with AC purchase" hard drive. SInce then, I've never had to use AppleCare and just don't have it now.

Extended warranties are worth it if an investment gets made during the time period otherwise (i.e. hard drive failure). It's an insurance that Apple hopes you never cash out and it's an insurance that you can cash out if you need to.

So...it's your call. You don't need forum permission to purchase insurance.
Wasn't looking for "permission." I was looking for advice. If you would read, the time has passed for my decision anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.