Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wct097

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
when your paying over $1000 for a laptop, an extra $200 to protect it for 3 years with phone help seems pretty reasonable to me....

I personally don't consider an additional 20% on top of an already overpriced computer to be anywhere close to reasonable, especially considering the exclusions (battery, aftermarket add-ins & accidental damage).

Kauai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2010
I plan to buy Applecare only at the very end of the initial warranty. Allow me to absorb the costs of the MBP first.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
I purchased 'Apple care'.
Where(url) should I make the registration?

5to1

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
I personally don't consider an additional 20% on top of an already overpriced computer to be anywhere close to reasonable, especially considering the exclusions (battery, aftermarket add-ins & accidental damage).

I agree, if one paid an additional 20% to indemnify (to extent offered by AppleCare) every purchase they made, I don't think most would break even. Fortunately we have students in the family, so buying through them get 3 years HW cover anyway.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
Is there an email, for contact with Apple technical support, for Apple care owners?
Or electronic communication is done exclusively with forms inside 'apple care' site?

Trek2100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Sevierville, TN
Yes it is definitely worth it. My late 2006 17" MBP had a superdrive issue on the last day of the 3 year warranty. I called AppleCare and they made an appt. at my local store. The Genius at the Apple store could not replicate the issue but sent it anyway to the depot and had it back fixed (new superdrive) in 3 days.

juantoothree4

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2014
Hi.

I purchased Applecare through 'auto-enroll' with my 15' refurbished MBP. I checked my support coverage using my serial number and it says I am covered under Applecare. Am I registered?

Also, I am thinking about returning my auto enroll Applecare. I am still under 14 days warranty. If I request for a refund today, would I still be eligible to buy Applecare before 1 year warranty ends?

Let's say for example, I am still under the 1 year warranty, and something break or a problem occurs with my MBP. Can I buy Applecare before having my MBP checked out, and what difference would it make?

Thank you.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
Yes it is definitely worth it. My late 2006 17" MBP had a superdrive issue on the last day of the 3 year warranty. I called AppleCare and they made an appt. at my local store. The Genius at the Apple store could not replicate the issue but sent it anyway to the depot and had it back fixed (new superdrive) in 3 days.

So the hundreds you paid for AppleCare for a super drive replacement doesn't mean the insurance is worth it. If the drive would have failed two days later after it expired would it have been worth it? If you decided to buy a replacement drive for $30 on ebay and replace it yourself, would it still have been worth it.

AppleCare is a waste of money for most people just like any other insurance policy.

robE89

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
I see applecare something like "better have it and don't need it THAN to need it and don't have it". I guess it comes down to everyone's luck, good or bad luck :D afterall you can find applecare cheaper than apple price...

kevlo9

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
Louisville, KY
So Applecare does not cover the battery? Even though it isn't user replaceable?

I recently purchase my first 13" rMBP and deciding if I should spring for Applecare or not. It's easily the most $$$ computer that I've bought and would like to protect my investment as much as possible.

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
So Applecare does not cover the battery? Even though it isn't user replaceable?

I recently purchase my first 13" rMBP and deciding if I should spring for Applecare or not. It's easily the most $$$ computer that I've bought and would like to protect my investment as much as possible.

It's an even more expensive computer if you buy AppleCare.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
One thing to keep in mind is that Applecare doesn't just extend the warranty to three years. It also extends free phone support to three years (you only get 90 days by default with purchase). In my experience, Apple more often than not will cover something not technically covered under AppleCare (providing that it wasn't caused by abuse/misuse of the product), especially if you take it into an Apple Store for service/repair.

While some people mischaracterize AppleCare as an "insurance" plan, it's really a warranty extension. Just one repair during the three years (when you factor in parts and labor) can pay for the cost of the plan by itself. Also, unlike many retailer's plans, AppleCare will replace parts (if needed) with Apple-certified parts, rather than generic parts that are spec-compatible.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
Lets say I a go my faulty mbp to the service, while I have 'apple care' coverage.
And they say that the solution they suggest is giving me a whole brand new mbp.

Questions:

- Will it be a mbp of the same or better specs? Will it be the corresponding current model?

- Can I ask them to make a 'migration' of my previous osx system to the new machine, if the hard disk is ok? Will they do it? When the mbp crashed, I had a backup but not the most recent.

- 'Apple care' package will continue its (remaining) coverage, with the new machine, until it expires?

- Do I have to make any new action about it, registration etc?

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Lets say I a go my faulty mbp to the service, while I have 'apple care' coverage.
And they say that the solution they suggest is giving me a whole brand new mbp.

Questions:

- Will it be a mbp of the same or better specs? Will it be the corresponding current model?

- Can I ask them to make a 'migration' of my previous osx system to the new machine, if the hard disk is ok? Will they do it? When the mbp crashed, I had a backup but not the most recent.

- 'Apple care' package will continue its (remaining) coverage, with the new machine, until it expires?

- Do I have to make any new action about it, registration etc?

First and foremost, Apple will never look at your faulty Mac of any kind and then get you a whole new one. Even if they did make their policies with Macs similar to their policies on iPads, iPods, Apple TVs, and (in some cases) iPhones, they wouldn't get you a whole new one; they'd get you a refurbished version of exactly what you had. Again, they're not going to switch to that kind of policy anytime soon, so your questions are essentially moot.

They will, at worst, mail in any MacBook (Air, White, Black, Pro, or otherwise) to the depot where they will completely refurbish it at either a flat rate (if you are out of warranty) or at no charge (if you are in warranty), replacing as many components as they feel are necessary for the repair of your MacBook. They do not offer this service for iMacs, Mac Pros, or Mac minis of any kind or generation. Otherwise, you're looking at a per-part replacement.

If you have repeat repair issues that don't go away after three component replacements of the same components (i.e. heating issues, graphics/cpu/logic board issues, then you can call to Apple's Customer Service department and ask to have your machine swapped out with the current day equivalent (i.e. if you have a Black MacBook having recurring issues that you keep taking it to be repaired for and you are still covered in your 90-day warranty each time, they'd likely swap it for a 13-inch retina MacBook Pro as that is the modern day equivalent). But they will likely want to do some sort of tests to make sure that they cannot repair it consistently, but typically, they'll bend over backwards, take your old machine and foot the bill for a brand new one.

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2013
Yes.

This has probably been stated a gazillion times in this thread already, but if you have any of Apple's newest line of 'non-serviceable' Macs and intend to keep your machine for longer than a year, then AppleCare is virtually mandatory.

This isn't the early 2000s anymore--quality control ain't what it used to be. And should even a minor component fail, you're looking at a very costly repair. (Case in point, one of the USB ports on my late-2013 rMBP died on me and the only viable repair strategy was to replace the entire logic board.)

In my experience it's absolutely worth it.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
I've gotten a whole new display assembly for old cMBP, a $550 repair, for free under AppleCare, so it was definitely worth it.

However, I always advise people to get a accidental damage insurance as soon as possible, and get the AppleCare later.

At the time of purchase, if you can only afford AppleCare or Insurance, get the insurance, as AppleCare allows you to buy later while once you drop your MacBook into the Pool or drop and crack the screen you can't get insurance after the fact.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

Yeah but in this case, you paid alot of money for a new superdrive. You could have picked one up for 1/10 of the price or less of ebay, and its an easy installation.

Though I get where you are coming from. I took my imac in that has alot of issues just under 3 years and they replaced £1500 worth of parts in it.

If some major goes wrong its worth it. Though I must admit of the times I bought it, only used it once.

JasperCLA

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2014
Antwerp, Belgium.
I've gotten a whole new display assembly for old cMBP, a $550 repair, for free under AppleCare, so it was definitely worth it.

However, I always advise people to get a accidental damage insurance as soon as possible, and get the AppleCare later.

At the time of purchase, if you can only afford AppleCare or Insurance, get the insurance, as AppleCare allows you to buy later while once you drop your MacBook into the Pool or drop and crack the screen you can't get insurance after the fact.

Seriously, who drops their electronics in a pool? :eek: Just be a little carefull, get a good case and you won't need it. In Holland there's even a store that offers 3y warranty as standard.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Seriously, who drops their electronics in a pool? :eek: Just be a little carefull, get a good case and you won't need it. In Holland there's even a store that offers 3y warranty as standard.

I was just giving extreme examples. I've never dropped my macbooks, and they are all naked in pristine condition with no hard cases.

Overall I agree, but when my bag strap broke and dented my old cMBP a year ago, remembering that I had bought insurance at the time of purchase was a sigh of relief. Got a brand new unibody, keyboard and trackpad. As careful as I am, stuff happens, and at $130 for year of coverage, isn't expensive, especially when we are talking about a $2000 laptop.

Dr Charter

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Oklahoma
I had a dead pixel on my MacBook Pro. One pixel. I just took it in to make sure that is what it was. I wasn't really looking for them to fix it (although it was annoying and right in the middle of the screen). The Apple Genius offered to fix it. I now have a new screen. No charge. I'm sure other experiences have been different but I'll always buy Apple Care from now on.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
Let me ask a related question:
when I give my mac to an authorized apple service center, am I obligated to provide them with my login password?
I think not. I think they have the tools to make any repairs or gain access anywhere they need on my system, without my password, but I just want to be sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.