AppleCare + worth it?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by PCtoMAC1, Nov 21, 2013.

1. PCtoMAC1 macrumors regular

PCtoMAC1

Hey all,
    I'm on my first iPad (Mini Retina). Is AppleCare + worth it? I picked the wifi only model as I have an unlimited data plan that I can use on my iPhone on the go. I did purchase AppleCare for my iPhone and it has already paid for itself.

Thoughts?

2. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

Am of mixed feelings, fwiw.

I have Apple Care + on my 32gb wifi iPad Air, and did on the same size iPad 3 before that.

I don't have Apple Care + on my original 16gb wifi iPad Mini.

I guess it's the big difference in replacement cost between the two different tablets.

3. dannynjoni macrumors member

I have in on my iPad mini (nonr) and iPhone 5s. It's cheap and feels good to have it. I carry my devices around without bulky cases worry free which IMO is the way it's meant to be :).

4. Pezbaby macrumors newbie

I didn't get it. I have an otterbox on my mini. I feel that is enough protection.

I don't have kids and am not especially accident prone.

5. darknyt macrumors 6502a

I will probably get it if only because I'll be carrying around a 128gb cell version and replacements are still only the $45 deductible.

But I am getting it via NEXT and I could see myself upgrading to the new iPad version if it's got some bells and whistles I have to have. Then I'm not sure it's worth it if I only have it for a year.

6. dannynjoni macrumors member

This here is a little bit to my point. I happen to think that these bulky cases cost quite a bit of money themselves (nearly 1/2 the cost of Applecare+ ?) and rob you of the greatest reason for paying this much for a tablet - THE DESIGN.

Another $50 and you never need to worry about breaking/scratching/dropping your device whatsoever while you enjoy the light, thin, sexy, and portable design as it's meant to be enjoyed!

If you are planning on possibly selling in a year then you have a device much more desirable than most. You will get top dollar without much effort.

Worth every penny IMO.

7. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I'm actually rethinking if it's worth it. Currently, out of warranty replacement for the iPad 3/4/Air is $299 and for the iPhone 5/5c/5s $269 regardless of whether your particular device cost you $499/649 or $929/849. If I were only buying one device, then yes, I'd likely go for AppleCare+. Buying 2-4 devices at a time? That makes AC+ a more difficult value proposition given it's not very likely that all those devices will fail after the one year warranty is up.

8. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    We use Worth Avenue Group on all our devices. Not worried about the quality of Apple products, but breakage or theft is something to consider.

A family member recently discovered her iPodT5 screen had shattered. Apple took the shattered iPod and gave her a new one; she paid the $50 deductible and the insurance paid the rest.

http://www.worthavegroup.com

9. Pezbaby macrumors newbie

It's all relative. I agree there's value, but I don't see it as much. Also, it's not just the cost of AppleCare. You also have to factor in the deductible if you break it.

Also, I don't consider an otterbox "robbing" me of much. It's still very portable and fits in the palm of my hand.

I don't like naked iPads. It's a personal preference. So for me (I'm carefully choosing these words because there's a lot of "my opinion proves why yours is wrong" on here) I'm gonna always have a case on.

It's not that I use a case so I don't have to get applecare. It's more that I don't need applecare since I use a case.

10. dannynjoni macrumors member

Of course. All relative. I hope I didn't come off as disrespecting anyone's choice. I can fully understand getting a case as an improvement if that's how you feel. I have a Book Book leather case for my iPhone 5s that I just love. Turns my phone into a leather bound mini book. Love the smell :). Just more ways to enjoy our toys lol.

I do love my iPad Air naked tho. I think she's sexy. Although I've seen some custom leather covers that I may some day consider.

11. solosdk macrumors regular

But

But the thing us, you can have an "accident" near when the 2 years are over and receive a refurbished/new iPad/iPhone :)

12. GoingDark macrumors 6502

If I was getting a 16GB wifi model, I wouldn't get AppleCare+. The cost of the AppleCare+ plus the deductible is almost half the cost of the 16GB wifi retina Mini, so I would risk it and take my chances.

It becomes a better value proposition when you increase storage or add cellular. I bought the 32GB wifi+cellular retina Mini and it was about $700, so AppleCare+ made sense for me.

Also, given that the retina Mini is a 1st-gen product, the likelihood of having problems is higher.

13. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

That is a tricky question.

For every iPad I've owned, I never purchased AppleCare+ (I use my iPad at home), hence I'm not overly concerned on having extra protection. On the other hand, I purchase AppleCare+ on my iPhones (as it sees daily wear and tear). Although I purchase AppleCare+ every year, I've yet to have used it.

Do I think AppleCare+ is worth it? I'd like to say yes and no. If you use your device constantly, and are afraid of it seeing wear and tear, I'd say purchase the extra protection. Like others said, its nice to know you have the extra protection. However, only purchase the extra protection for devices in which you feel should have the extra protection (your iPhone, etc).

14. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I never had purchased apple care before but on my Air I did. Just felt like it made sense. Its a new model per say and is lighter and seems a tad more fleixible if that make sense.

As others have mentioned, If I decide to sell at any point, its a big plus for the new buyer so you get more for it.

15. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

square trade

i think square trade is a better deal.

it is $99 for 2 years or $129 for 3 years. ( these are sale prices ) includes accidental damage from handling. the deductible is $0 . Applecare + on the other hand has a deductible of $49 for an ipad or $79 for an iphone.

you don't get apple support like you do with applecare when purchasing square trade though.like being able to call apple care to ask them questions

applecare + only covers two accidents. square trade's policy is your repairs over time cannot cost more then the retail price of the ipad. so if a square trade plan covers $829, then that is the most they will pay for repairs over the warranty period.

if the item cannot be fixed, square trade will pay pal you the $829 or whatever so you can buy a new ipad.

you can choose between paying apple for a repair/replacement and then getting reimbursed via paypal or you can send it in to squaretrade. free shipping both ways. turn around time is like 5 days

16. jimi78, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

jimi78 macrumors regular

jimi78

for portable devices yes...not so much w/ PCs

I have always had applecare and applecare+ w/ my iphones and I have always benefited from having it. I just had my iphone 5 replaced yesterday after having it for over a year no questions asked. I actually had a replacement 4 weeks into getting it due to a camera issue and that was flawless as well. I don't like to use a case for my iphones either so this is definitely a reassurance to have. I don't mind a few nicks and scuffs here and there from usage, but if it ever breaks or malfunctions I have the peace of mind in having applecare insurance on my side.

I also tend to do upgrades during design cycle updates so I like the thought of having applecare w/ a new product that does not have any real world data to show for it