AppleCare Worth It?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MurkyAssassin, Nov 6, 2016.

1. MurkyAssassin Suspended

MurkyAssassin

Should I add AppleCare to my new 13" MacBook Pro with touch bar? What is the chance of failure for MacBook Pros? Would I get away with 3 years not having any faults/failure in the machine?

2. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Yes. It's worth it. I'm going to add it to my machine that's for sure. I need to be protected if something happens.

3. Speechless macrumors 6502a

For Macs, absolutely. You NEED that without a doubt. Don't even second guess it just bite the bullet.

4. JPNFRK7 macrumors 6502

JPNFRK7

I have a 2010 MBP that I didnt get it on 6 years ago and I was fine. A buddy of mine has a 2014 15" MBP and his Apple Care has been used twice now. I bought it on my new MBP because this touch bar is so new. If something happens to it, I want Apple to fix it.

5. MurkyAssassin thread starter Suspended

MurkyAssassin

I can still buy AppleCare within a year from purchase, right? So if my Mac have issues within a year of purchase, I don't need AppleCare for repair services and charge?

6. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

Only if it breaks after year one.

Tough call, I always get Apple care for my iOS devices and have used it three times.
    However I've owned six MACs, from MacBooks to Minis and have never needed to use it.

I did order the new 13" and will probably add it when I get it.

7. double329 macrumors 6502

Yes, it's worth it. My rMBP 15 developed a few small "white" spots on the screen after few years of owning it. I brought it to Apple store on my third year and they replaced the entire of the screen with brand new panel. The cost was over $700. I didn't have to pay because it was covered by Applecare.

8. Speechless macrumors 6502a

Yep! From my understanding, you can only buy it during the complimentary one-year coverage.

You can utilize AppleCare for one year from the purchase date.

9. MurkyAssassin thread starter Suspended

MurkyAssassin

When you buy AppleCare separately, do you have to register it to your mac or is it an automatic process?

10. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

11. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

I have generally bought Applecare for the laptops, and it's not always paid off, but when it has, it's paid off big. You only have to get a couple of $1k repairs covered every so often to justify it.

12. gugy macrumors 68030

Yeah, I agreed it is a must have if you plan to keep your MBP or any computer for long term.
    In the past Applecare save my A.. many times. I had a Mac Pro tower that was an insanely headache. It went to repair at least 4 times. Apple in the end gave me a top if the line at the time costing close to $5k MP 12 core to replace my 6 core. I was stoked but truthfully that was the least they could do because I lost many days of work not using my MP.

Unless you sell you computer less than one year after buying it, I would buy Applecare for sure. Also keep in mind that always help your resale value knowing you have that piece of mind.

By the way, you don't have to buy Applecare when you purchase any computer. As long as you buy it inside the 1 year window you are fine. I just purchase it for my son 13" MBP and for my 15" MBP that the original warranty was about to expire. No trouble at all.

13. iizmoo macrumors 6502

Depend on how much you like to gamble. This will be my 4th macbooksince 2006 without AppleCare. Never had a problem with them. The way I figure is if I have one big accident in 30 years it'll balance outnot having AppleCare.

The other thing is there's eztended warranty from most cards, so mine has some coverage for up to 3 years anyway. But I have a $2250 MBP, peeps with the $3500+ version would probably find itmore useful. Keep in mind also disxreet GPU have been the root cause of much problems. Integrated GPU have been rock solid.

From a statistical standpoint, I think the chance of failure between year 1 and 3 is generally low. Either most of it fail inyear 1, or slowly dies of old age at 4-6. They make good profit from ,apple ,care wto th it coverage window.

14. UnluckyXIII macrumors 6502

Get it, had an iMac in its final month of the three year care plan, took it to the Apple Store to be checked out due to it failing to boot, they kept it for a week and couldn't fix the problem so I got a brand new iMac under the care program. I don't know if they do things like this now as we are going to back to mid/late 2000's but even a FoC warranty repair is better than paying out several hundred £€$ to get it working again.

15. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

It is device specific and depending on how you purchase, online or in person, you will have to provide serial number and purchase information.

I bought an iPad at Best Buy and ordered Care over the phone. They actually queried my device via wifi to confirm my purchase.

16. laser71 macrumors regular

A lot of credit cards come with automatic warranty extension, so you get 2 years of coverage. In that case AppleCare only adds value of giving you one extra year. That's a gamble that I'm okay to take.

With that said, my MBP has had it's motherboard replaced 3 times. But that's because the 2011 year was flawed, so Apple has paid for every replacement - even though I did not have AppleCare.

17. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Might as well buy it now; you have a one year warranty on a new MB, but only 90 days for phone support.

M

18. kougra6541 macrumors regular

I think it's worth it. I bought it for my 2011 MBP and used it twice, both times my hard drive needed replacing and the second time, I had the logic board replaced and a bunch of other stuff.

The best park about AppleCare is that you can bring the computer in right before your coverage runs up and they will run a full diagnostic report and replace anything that is starting to go. You have to let them send it it, but they take the thing apart and test all the pieces to see if they pass.

19. Baldrake macrumors 6502

I never buy extended warranties, with the exception of Apple Care. Macs are so expensive to repair, you really can't afford not to have it.

20. Shamgar macrumors regular

Extended warranties are always priced so that the manufacturer makes a profit on average. That is, the statistically likely cost of any repairs will be less than the price of the warranty. So, no, it is not worth it from that perspective to take any extended warranty including AppleCare. That being said, there is always a non-trivial risk that parts will fail in the 1-3 year window, so you may decide spending extra is worth some peace of mind in case you do.

21. kougra6541 macrumors regular

My Apple care paid for itself after one use on my 2011 MBP, the cost I would have been required to pay to replace my hard drive was much more than what the cost of AppleCare was.

22. brojan macrumors member

Extended warranty from amex and probably other similar cards is applied after any additional manufacturer purchased warranty, so it would go from two years without apple care to four years with Apple Care (3 years of Apple Care plus the additional year)

23. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Not sure how you came up with the above?

"Extended Warranty can provide up to one extra year added to the original U.S. manufacturer’s warranty"
    m

24. diggy33 macrumors 6502

diggy33

I think its worth it, considering the dollar investment that you are making - you'll want yourself covered in years 2 and 3 in case something goes wrong with the machine. The only downside, and I"ve been saying this for years, is that they offer no accidental damage coverage.

25. dapork macrumors regular

dapork

If I get a mac from a retailer that doesn't include the option for AppleCare (because it's not Apple), is there still some way to get it? I'm in a country with no Apple store.