AppleCare? Worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dlamin517, Nov 6, 2008.

1. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

IS apple care worth it for a macbook? I am buying it this weekend. What does it exactly protect. Can i buy it later if i want? Thanks

2. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

You have 1 year from the date of purchase to get applecare.

And yes, it is incredibly worth it

3. TheHoff macrumors 6502

I wonder this as well...

Is Apple losing money on Applecare? If not then it is like any other extended warranty. They are making more money by selling you the insurance than they are paying out by doing the repairs or giving out new machines.

So how is it different than getting the extended warranty on a DVD player or TV? If you bought it on all electronics, you'd be better off just saving the money for replacement items or repairs yourself since the company offering the insurance isn't in the business to lose money.

Consumer Reports recommended Applecare but only because of the phone tech support.

4. JBazz macrumors 6502

Sometimes I buy it and sometimes I dont. For me it is a toss up.

I have had both my ibook and black macbook repair out of waranty without applecare. If there is a genuine problem with their parts or processes, they will usually make it good.

But if you have ever needed it one time, then you know how valuable it is. I just havent ever had any work done under the applecare. Never used phone support either.

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

It doesn't differ. It's the same idea but with telephone support. I got it because I get 75% off for being a student, but it might not be the same value if you aren't in my position.

6. TheHoff macrumors 6502

Right, that is probably an average experience. It is nice to have it as insurance, but if you've never used it and you replace your laptop every 2 or 3 years, you'd soon waste the price of entire new machine buying Applecare for each.

I guess it is nice to help the re-sale value if you sell with a year or more left.

7. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

AppleCare on my mini: never used in three years, mini running strong
    AppleCare on my dad's mini: replaced motherboard
    AppleCare on my G5 tower: used five times and finally got a free MacPro out of it
    iPhone: haven't needed AppleCare yet
    Ti laptop: didn't have AppleCare, I've had to replace the hard drive twice in 9 years

I'm in favor of AppleCare overall, especially for laptops. Buy it on eBay, though and save some money. (I've bought AppleCare on eBay twice with no problems.)

8. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Like someone already mentioned, you can purchase it up to a year after you purchase the product.. I highly recommend getting it- and I NEVER purchase extended warranties on anything- but there's no sense buying something now that you can't use for a year.. Wait to buy it- you never know, you might hate your macbook and want to get rid of it in a month or two- not likely, but stranger things have happened..

Honestly, I've used AC on every Apple product I've actually purchased it for but one (1.25GHZ eMac that is still used every day in my office- thing's an indestructible tank).. There's been a few iPods and iPhones along the way that needed to be replaced in that first year, but usually after that period Apple's come out with something bigger and better that I usually jump on.. No sense wasting money on AC for something that I pretty much budget into replacing within 18 months anyway-IMHO.. But for a computer? Definitely!! I can't see how they're making money on it with their hardware issues the past few years, but I'm sure they are- just not off of me.. Maybe I just have bad luck..

9. foshizzle macrumors regular

applecare is either fantastic or aweful. I have it on the machines my family owns. My dads MacBook had to have a SuperDrive replaced and that was nice to have it for.

However, I brought my MacBook pro in last Thursday (30th) because it would not turn on. Solid light on front, no display, no keyboard lights. Genious said it was an internal power failure. 5-7 days for repair. Called to check status this Tuesday and they had not even shipped it out of the store! So now another 5-7 days from Tuesday and the online status still lists it as shipment pending to repair location. If you can't tell I'm ticked. Full time student, part time job. Homework is online, use MATLAB for school, work at engineering firm. I am extremely disappinted in apple for their support in this case. I have AppleCare but I might just skip it next time and let nsurance take Care of it.

10. O. Frabjous-Dey macrumors regular

If you're planning on reselling your Mac, buyers LOVE AppleCare.
    If you're planning on keeping your Mac for 3 years, you're really going to miss it if something breaks down the road.

I think AppleCare is a good idea in general, but if you've got AMEX or another credit card that extends your warranty and you don't intend to resell, you should consider saving your money instead.

11. O. Frabjous-Dey macrumors regular

Oh yeah - as Moof says, AppleCare costs seem to be substantially lower on eBay. Not sure why.

12. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

I personally think it is not needed. I do not feel that applecare is worth is personally because I have yet to have a problem with any computer I ever bought. To me computers will last the 2 years I need them and at that point it is obselete anyway so I purchase a new one. I am not trying to sound spoiled at all Im a computer enthusist and have much fun working with computers for fun and work, its just for 3 years I most likley wont be using the same computer therefore me wasting 300+$. Money I can put on a new machine. Its all about personal opinion really, if your constantly going to be bringing the computer around with you go for it but I think a squaretrade policy protects against much more then just internal damage. =/.

13. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

This is an often asked question, I believe its because they buy applecare in bulk which is why they are able to see it for so cheap. How they are able to do it I don't know, but if you think about even for the cheap price they are selling it at they must still be making money in order for them to even consider selling it. So the real question is how much are they buying?!

14. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

Yes.

I would rather have spend the cash on it and not used it then to have not bought it and have to pay for any repair.

15. Wardotron macrumors member

If the computer is covered on your home insurance, I doubt AC is worth it.

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, get Applecare, it's well worth it as it gives your computer legal proection for three years, and gives you peace of mid. Apple honours their guarantees. Two of my iPods died within warranty and were replaced without a murmur by Apple - rather than seeking refuge in contractual small print - a fact which impressed me and influenced my switch to Apple.

Cheers and good luck

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would say yes, it is worth it. I got it when I bought my MBP and would recommend you do as well.

18. six.four macrumors 6502

Applecare isn't the same thing as coverage by home insurance. Your home insurance generally will only cover items that are lost or stolen. Applecare is much more than that.

As far as worth goes - it really depends on how long you plan to keep your computer obviously. If you're a type of person that likes to keep up with the latest apple products and you purchase every new release, then it obviously isn't worth it for you. However, if you're looking to keep it for over a year, then I'd say it's worth it for the peace of mind.

19. daleremote macrumors member

I've never purchased Apple Care (original iMac, Titanium PowerBook, Dual G5, iPod 4th gen, various Macs at work). While I've been lucky, we've had some problems with the Macs at work, various weird problems.

The way I look at it, hardware problems will most likely happen with moving parts, like the hard drive and optical drive, and those are cheap. I recently replaced a hard drive on an out-of-warranty MacBook Pro for like $80 (self-installed). Over and done in a day. If I had to bring it somewhere or send it somewhere it would have taken a lot longer.

Still, I just bought a black MacBook off eBay. Seems in 100% good condition, but I might get AppleCare if I can buy it cheap off eBay.

20. bengal85 macrumors regular

bengal85

I would go for it if I had a mac beasue if anything goes wrong apple will take care of you and it will be cheaper to fix stuff if you are a memeber rather than a non member.

21. musthaveit macrumors newbie

Yesterday I called Applecare about my 2007 mbp. It had issues with the power adaptor light not functioning correctly and there was some discolouration of the palm rest and area below the spacebar from (i'm told) my sweaty hands! :eek:

After calling applecare I was told to take the MBP to an apple shop and they would sort it all out for me.

All in all they;
    • gave me a new power adaptor £59.00 retail
    • replaced a broken key on my keyboard £???
    • replaced the entire top surface of my MBP to resolve the sweaty hands issue.

The total cost for parts and labour to replace the upper case of my macbook pro (paid for by my applecare) was £138.65, this does not include the price of the magsafe adaptor (new model).

Total £59.00 + £138.65 = £197.65 :eek:

I only paid £50 for the Applecare as a student. :)

AND this doesn't prevent me from making any future claims until my Applecare runs out in 2010.

I would say that AppleCare is a good deal for most people as a safety net, but an exceptional deal if you can get the student price!

22. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

Maybe this is obvious to everyone else, but how do you get 75% off for being a student?
    The prices I've seen in the education store are not that cheap - is it something local through your school?

23. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

The other factor is that your homeowners' insurance may have a deductible ($500 or $1000). Once you factor that in, having your computer 'covered' through homeowners isn't so great.