Applecare... Worth the money?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sukanas, Apr 15, 2008.

1. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

ive been reading around and i keep hearing everyone mention the applecare..

is it really worth the 180 dollars (or however much it is)????

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Depends. Some people swear by it some swear at it. Extended warranties are generally a bad idea but if you can get it for a reasonable price and it gives you peace of mind or is protecting an income generating peice of equipement, then I guess it would be a good idea.

3. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Totally worth it if you have to use it.

But check out eBay or LA Computing for a better price.

4. tacomahunter macrumors regular

tacomahunter

Just like the posts that say " I spilled ___ on my laptop" this question has been asked numerous times. I have bought it on my MBP and have not used it as of yet. I think the rule should be, if you can afford it, go for it... if you can't, then don't.

5. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Probably more so worth it for portables: MacBook, MacBook Pro, or the MacBook Air just given the fact that they use mobile parts that are shrunken down and are subjected to being carried around, heat, and being confined in a smaller case.

I've sent in an older PowerBook G4 to have it's screen replaced, and fortunately AppleCare covered the cost. For non-accidental damage, AppleCare can easily pay for itself.

One might even make an argument to get AppleCare for desktops and monitors, but that's entirely up to the individual. In all likelihood, you'll never have to send in your computer to have it serviced. BTW, you have one year of coverage from the date of purchase of your machine. AppleCare simply extends that window of coverage to 3-years, but bear in mind, AppleCare must be purchased before the 1-year anniversary of the purchase of the machine. In any case, I could afford AppleCare and simply I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you are going to post a broad thread like this...you really need to read that thing about posting multiple threads, there are two in depth threads on the front of this.

And if you have been reading around, and you still have specific questions, then maybe publicly stating what those are would help us.

With that said, I find it highly worth it, I had to replace 3 batteries on my G4 Powerbook, and at $129 a piece, it becomes quickly worth it. But all the other, you don't have to buy it for a year junk applies, along with purchasing it on eBay.

Also, if you have a Mac Pro, it may not make sense, but a notebook definitely needs some type of warranty, something is bound to happen everytime you do any traveling with it.

And, if you can't find those other threads:

Apple Care vs. New Battery

Apple Care Necessity?

7. Eastend macrumors 6502

Applecare I think is worth it, just for the peace of mind. I've been updating my computers every 3 or 4 years recently, so it's worth it to me. Having said that, I still think it's a personal choice though.