Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
awesome. i can use the refund from my 5 to pay for applecare+ on my new 6. thanks. though i honestly can't remember when i bought it and it must have been almost 2 years ago so i probably wouldn't get much of anything back at this point. guess i'll find out soon. for some reason i'm thinking i bought it about a year ago when i got a refurbed 5 so maybe there is some left.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Bought Applecare + other day on my 6, got ghostarmor screen protector on it but no case, honestly phone is too beautiful to be wrapped up in a case, its expensive, but i want to enjoy it fully, glad i got Applecare +, its amazing

----------

Haha me too I got it on Sunday, feels really good to have it honestly

I actually got a $3 clear TPU case on ebay 2 months ago for the 6. Looks and fits perfect. When I was at the apple store sunday to get apple care 3 employees complimented the case. I even gave the info where to buy to a lady who was setting up her 6 next to me. Everyone was like wow $3 bucks!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 104

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
A refurb. Somehow, the phone is even internally identified as such. My replacement iPhone 5 was marked as a "swap" in the IMEI when checking with apple and my carrier.

This is why Applecare is not that big of a deal to me, wish it was a brand new device.

Avarize

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
I actually got it sunday on my i6 for the first time ever. I've never gotten applecare+ until now. Its a great piece of mind. Not worried about screen protectors and cases this time around.

Sunday was my first AppleCare purchase as well, I feel so much better not using a case or screen protector now then I ever had before.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Sunday was my first AppleCare purchase as well, I feel so much better not using a case or screen protector now then I ever had before.

Exactly. I got a clear case for now so I can show the nice looks of this phone. By next week I'll remove it. I've been the type to baby my iPhones. Super anal about cases and screen protectors. I have other issues to worry about in life. Besides this phone doesn't do so well with screen protectors because of the edges screen. I tried 3 diff brands on it and they all suck and look bad. That's why I decided on apple care on Sunday and since its been in the back of mind. Something less to worry about.

Avarize

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
This is why Applecare is not that big of a deal to me, wish it was a brand new device.

They replace the externals and the battery on all refurbished phones so I fail to see why it is such a big deal

----------

Exactly. I got a clear case for now so I can show the nice looks of this phone. By next week I'll remove it. I've been the type to baby my iPhones. Super anal about cases and screen protectors. I have other issues to worry about in life. Besides this phone doesn't do so well with screen protectors because of the edges screen. I tried 3 diff brands on it and they all suck and look bad. That's why I decided on apple care on Sunday and since its been in the back of mind. Something less to worry about.

I used to buy the biggest bulkiest case I could find for my 4s, then the 5 I got more a commuter style case, 5s was a thinner spigen case and the 6 I just decided to go naked and get Applecare.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
They replace the externals and the battery on all refurbished phones so I fail to see why it is such a big deal

----------

I used to buy the biggest bulkiest case I could find for my 4s, then the 5 I got more a commuter style case, 5s was a thinner spigen case and the 6 I just decided to go naked and get Applecare.

Exactly my situation. Paid the $107 with tax and that's it.

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
Got my iPhone 6 in a Tmobile store on Friday. Decided yesterday to get the Apple silicone case and AppleCare+. I plan on keepin this thing till the 7 comes out in two years I like having the peace of mind knowing I won't be screwed out of a replacement or fix for hardware defaults after a year. The stuck power button on the 4 and 4s for example.

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
I actually got a $3 clear TPU case on ebay 2 months ago for the 6. Looks and fits perfect. When I was at the apple store sunday to get apple care 3 employees complimented the case. I even gave the info where to buy to a lady who was setting up her 6 next to me. Everyone was like wow $3 bucks!

You by chance got the link to the case?

PittsDriver

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
I am probably going to buy it. I have never dropped an iphone and caused damage since the first iPhone, and yes I have had every single one. About 6 months ago I dropped my iPhone 5s and it bent the top of the bezel, and cracked the screen. I replaced the screen but couldn't repair the bezel. It cost me 100 bucks for the screen repair kit and the phone was never the same. It was not an OEM screen, and because of the bezel it was never perfect. I get a new phone every year so I am totally torn on getting Applecare+ for my iPhone 6 but I would rather have a properly working phone 100% of the time because of my job than to have to worry about a half ass replacement screen, then still having to deal with a damaged case, bezel or anything else etc.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
No.

Every single time I've had issues with any of my hardware, Apple repaired or replaced free of charge, even when out of warranty. I've been using Apple ipods, Macs, and iPhones since 2006. I had my iPhone 5 out of warranty, dropped it on the ground and made the camera unable to focus, and they replaced free of charge.

Even if you are truly clumsy and think you may shatter the screen, it is better to just save your money, or invest in a $50 case. AppleCare is profitable for a reason: it's a bad investment.

Same, but I think they're becoming more strict in the past year or so.

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2008
California
I'm thinking of getting AppleCare to be on the safe side with my iPhone 6+. But I'm a little iffy if it's a waste of money since I've never used it. Nor know anyone whose gotten it.
It sounds like I'm paying for insurance that's still gonna cost me to do repairs. What's the benefit?

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I'm thinking of getting AppleCare to be on the safe side with my iPhone 6+. But I'm a little iffy if it's a waste of money since I've never used it. Nor know anyone whose gotten it.
It sounds like I'm paying for insurance that's still gonna cost me to do repairs. What's the benefit?

Plenty of benefit if you think about it. Hell when your insurance is about to be up in 2 years, turn your iPhone 6 in and get a replacement with a battery with more life than your used up one.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010

A friend of mine who used Verizon got a "refurbished" phone where it broke, screen was a little jiggly, alignment of home button electronics were off, its just not the same as your original, brand new phone.

dapetrun

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2006
Western Pennsylvania
My daughter dropped her 5S a few weeks before the 6 came out. Cracked the screen but still worked with no other cosmetic damage. We took it to Apple fully expecting to pay for a replaced screen/repair but the Genius took a look at my Apple account and said there would be no charge for the repair. We were out of the store in :30 minutes with her repaired 5S.

I'm not sure if the repair was free because we were still within the 1 year warranty period (no AppleCare on the 5S) or the fact I've dropped $15 grand at Apple over the last 2-½ years. Regardless, with the thin and slippery styling of the iPhone 6 I got my daughter the AppleCare for her 6 because her freshman year in college deserves to be insured for the accidental drop which is bound to happen at least once a year. YMMV

I didn't get the AppleCare for my 6 nor my wife's because we are a little more careful with our "stuff" than our teenage daughter.

Last edited:

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006

I used this style case on the 4 and 5. It's tough to keep the debris from causing damage to the 5. It gets trapped between the case and the bezel and caused a lot of marks. I would have been better off with no case.

On my 6 Plus I am using the softer apple leather case. It will come off if I notice the same marks.

Bigserver1

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
I don't like cases (tried to buy a thin one for my 6 and hated it. It spent four total hours on the phone.), so I go naked and have AppleCare+.

My 5 had two issues after the first year, both of which were replaced with no charge via AppleCare. I use either an Amex, or a JP Morgan card with fantastic purchase protections for all my purchases, but their processes are far more intense to get replacements, and don't cover accidental damage after the first 90-120 days.

Long story short, I'll continue to make the $99 investment for two years worth of piece of mind, or one years worth + an additional selling point a year from now if I sell it and get the 6s.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Plenty of benefit if you think about it. Hell when your insurance is about to be up in 2 years, turn your iPhone 6 in and get a replacement with a battery with more life than your used up one.

So you'll deliberately damage your iPhone in order to get a new replacement. No wonder why they've jacked up the AC+ deductible to $79 because of people like you who deliberately damage your iPhone when you feel like a replacement and think nothing of it.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
So you'll deliberately damage your iPhone in order to get a new replacement. No wonder why they've jacked up the AC+ deductible to $79 because of people like you who deliberately damage your iPhone when you feel like a replacement and think nothing of it.

Relax. Don't make assumptions and don't complain about how any of us use our hard earned dollars. Acting like you poop roses or something with that holier than thou attitude? Come on. Keep that in mind the next time you download a torrent.

----------

lol That actually genius. How much is the swap?

$79 now. Used to be $49 before.

Trek2100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Sevierville, TN
Yes, it is definitely worth it.

I purchase extended warranties on all electronics except for the inexpensive ones (under $200.00). I had a MacBook Pro 17" that developed problems with the power button. It seems someone in my family thought it necessary to push the button with enough force to crush rocks. Eventually the button would slide around under the top of the case. Apple shipped it overnight to a repair depot because they would not be able to fix it for 4 or 5 days. Had it back in 2 days with a brand new case and keyboard. I hate to think what it would have cost to do that.

On the last day of my 3 year warranty the superdrive went south. Apple replaced it ASAP even though they could not replicate the problem.

That's Customer Service! Apple is the best!

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Do it. After handling the plus for a day and realizing that screen protectors look like hell on the 6 I just bought AppleCare. :cool:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Relax. Don't make assumptions and don't complain about how any of us use our hard earned dollars. Acting like you poop roses or something with that holier than thou attitude? Come on. Keep that in mind the next time you download a torrent.

So your way of using your "hard earned dollars" is to commit fraud by deliberately damaging your iPhone or inventing an non-existent problem so you can swap it out right before AC+ ends. Nice.

Never downloaded a torrent in my life. Sorry I'm not like you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.