AppleCare? Yes, No,...why?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by webella, Jan 13, 2009.

1. webella macrumors newbie

To me, this sounds like a good idea as from what I am reading...folks have some issues with new Macs and need to bring units back or parts fail.

Do you recommend AppleCare? People have said that if you have a lemon, it will fail within the regular warranty time and would be covered but I think that is failed logic as hard drives crash and other issues can happen after the first year.

Thanks~
    -w-

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Loooooooooooooads of threads on this. Have a read. :)

Search.

3. webella thread starter macrumors newbie

Point (and pages) well taken! I should have done a quick search but in my haste to make this purchase, I just jumped in and started this thread. Thanks for the links.

I'm now fully convinced that I will purchase it. :eek:

4. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Peace of mind, my friend.... if nothing else.

5. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

You don't have to buy AppleCare at the time you purchase the Mac. In fact, 3rd parties like Amazon often have steep discounts on AppleCare.

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Depending on how long you intend on keeping it, the kind of use & environment, and all that, it can be a good buy, or just another unexpended "insurance policy."

For me, AppleCare has repaired an iMac G5, replaced an iPhone, and gotten me a new SuperDrive (all out of warranty), saving at least $750 in repairs over the cost of the APP--even more for replacement.

Set an iCal alarm for the eleventh month of owning your machine, make the decision then, and find it on eBay or Amazon if you decide to go for it. Cheaper than direct from the mothership. If you do, DO NOT FORGET TO REGISTER!

7. NightStorm macrumors 68000

After my experience with my first iMac, system board issues starting about 1.5 years after purchase, I'm definitely picking up AppleCare on my new iMac.

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Buy it from Ebay though or your throwing your money down the drain.

9. webella thread starter macrumors newbie

No lie. Wow.

I just went to Ebay and was very surprised (and delighted) to see you can buy it on line. Thanks for the tip.

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Needless to say, just make sure you go through a reputable seller. Other than that AppleCare can be had for an absolute bargain on eBay.

11. hodgeheg macrumors regular

If you are or know a student / teacher

If you know someone able to buy with higher education discount (this is in UK - I think it's similar in the states but I'm not sure) then AppleCare is vastly cheaper. UK higher get 3 year warranty as standard and upgrade to full AppleCare is 47ukp on an Air, for example. But it's attached to the machine, not the purchaser, so you can easily buy one and then transfer ownership.