Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Hey guys,

For those opting to get Applecare instead of cases etc, I have a question.

If you drop your phone and the screen cracks, will it be replaced for free by Applecare? What else does it cover?

The details are vague on the Apple site.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
It pretty much covers any damage to the device. Except for loss or theft.

You can only claim accidental damage twice during the entire coverage period for a $50 fee/deductible with each claim.

Kahuna Cowboy

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
Hold on, no it's not covered!

In the United States where they have AppleCare+ that is covered, but I see you're in Australia which only has standard AppleCare and accidental damage is not covered.

In Australia if such an incident were to occur Apple would want $250 (or around that) to replace the iPhone. Australia AppleCare covers manufacture defects, and over the phone tech support only.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Hold on, no it's not covered!

In the United States where they have AppleCare+ that is covered, but I see you're in Australia which only has standard AppleCare and accidental damage is not covered.

In Australia if such an incident were to occur Apple would want $250 (or around that) to replace the iPhone. Australia AppleCare covers manufacture defects, and over the phone tech support only.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Thank you, so it seems Applecare is a waste of money in Australia then.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
Since this is about Applecare, I guess it's better to not make a new thread..

For those of you with AT&T, which one did you go with? Their own insurance or Applecare?

Applecare seems like a no-brainer.. but I feel like I might be missing something.

Applecare seems like it's $99 initially and then $50 deductible up to two times.

AT&T's insurance is $6.99 a month and then $199 if something happens to my phone?

Doesn't seem worth it..

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Since this is about Applecare, I guess it's better to not make a new thread..

For those of you with AT&T, which one did you go with? Their own insurance or Applecare?

Applecare seems like a no-brainer.. but I feel like I might be missing something.

Applecare seems like it's $99 initially and then $50 deductible up to two times.

AT&T's insurance is $6.99 a month and then $199 if something happens to my phone?

Doesn't seem worth it..

Last year when I got the 4S, I for the first time chose not to get the AppleCare and I've never had cellular insurance.

I've never had to to use AppleCare on any of my iDevices [yet] so I figure the up-front cost savings is worth the risk in my case. I'm usually very careful with my stuff. :)

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
Last year when I got the 4S, I for the first time chose not to get the AppleCare and I've never had cellular insurance.

I've never had to to use AppleCare on any of my iDevices [yet] so I figure the up-front cost savings is worth the risk in my case. I'm usually very careful with my stuff. :)

I had AppleCare on my iPhone 4, but it came with the phone for free on a deal from AT&T. I've never had to use it, but it was nice knowing that if something happened, it wouldn't cost a ridiculous amount of money to get it replaced.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I had AppleCare on my iPhone 4, but it came with the phone for free on a deal from AT&T. I've never had to use it, but it was nice knowing that if something happened, it wouldn't cost a ridiculous amount of money to get it replaced.

Exactly; that's the other side of the risk factor - peace of mind.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
For those in the UK and able to buy from the HE Store, AppleCare is available at a slight discount - £13 less for iPhone coverage.

Thank you, so it seems Applecare is a waste of money in Australia then.

IIRC, the reason that AppleCare+ was introduced in the States was to have consistent customer service. Under the standard AppleCare policy, punters were reporting different experiences when it came to accidental damage - going from memory, I think some folk said they paid nothing or next to nothing in the case of accidental damage, whilst others had to pay full whack. Under the two current schemes in the US, standard AppleCare will not cover accidental coverage – the AppleCare+ one does (albeit, IIRC there’s a service fee with each claim).

What are your consumer rights like in Australia?

briankeith513

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I have Verizon, and opted for AppleCare +, over insurance from Verizon. The only thing to look at when comparing is, do you want to pay much more for the insurance through the wireless carrier, but get loss/theft coverage.....or do you want to pay a much less amount for AppleCare+, but no loss/theft coverage? Both cover accidental damage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.