Discussion in 'iMac' started by tawei25, Nov 27, 2012.

  1. tawei25 macrumors newbie

    Nov 27, 2012

    I recently decided to switch over from PC to MAC. I've been waiting for the new imac since early this year. it's finally going to be up for pre-order this Friday.

    I bought a MBA i7/8gb/256GB with apple care last week. What do you guys think regarding purchasing applecare on the imac.

    my friend told me that getting the applecare on MBA is a good idea since it's really hard to fix and replace part in the laptop.

    do you think I should get the applecare for the new imac? how much is the applecare for the new imac going to cost?

    thanks for your help.
  2. Hakone macrumors 6502a

    Oct 5, 2011
    Southern California
    Great question. I was wondering myself since it looks 'less accessible' than the previous generation. If they go the route of the MacBook retina, Applecare may* be upwards of $249.

    Is it worth getting? For the first iteration of a new form factor, i'd say yes.

    A couple of factors to consider is that there may be a rush to get these out by the promised November month. Perhaps they've cut corners to meet that timeframe? Maybe.

    Just think of it as 3yrs of peace of mind.

    Good luck in what you decide.
  3. MeFromHere macrumors 6502

    Oct 11, 2012

    ApplCare for iMac is $169 in the USA. That extends the warranty to 3 years, AND gives you tech support for 3 years also. It includes the keyboard and mouse/trackpad. The warranty can cover a Time Capsule or Airport, a SuperDrive, and a display under some conditions also.

    If you're moving from PC to Mac, you can probably take advantage of the tech support feature. You can get help with the computer, the OS, and the pre-installed applications. It is typically very good service. But you already have Mac OS tech support as part of the AppleCare on the Macbook Air, so a second AppleCare would be partly redundant.

    I'll be getting some flavor of the 27" iMac, and I'll definitely get AppleCare.
  4. 50548 Guest

    Apr 17, 2005
    Currently in Switzerland
    I haven't but I regret not doing so for my iMac - it's recently had its warranty expired and I am probably gonna need some service concerning a PSU/brightness noise.

    So the easy answer is: DO IT.
  5. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000


    Nov 15, 2012
    Yes!! Without a doubt, get it! If something on the rMBP dies, you have to replace half the computer. Even if it was easily repairable, I would still get it- the last thing I would want to do is to shell out $500 to repair something that could have been prevented with a $250-300 investment.

Share This Page