Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Hi; wondering whether I should buy Applecare for my 2011 Mini. I've had zero problems with it.

Applecare is £129.00 but I could simply buy a new machine for £499.00...

I don't think it's worth buying as I've had zero problems - thoughts?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Just because you have had zero problems with it, does not mean, that in the second and third year of your ownership nothing will happen.

But then again, nothing might happen anyway. It is a gamble, and you have to decide, if you want peace of mind or do not mind the 499 GBP you might have to pay for a new one.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Buy it from CeX for peanuts, only £35;

http://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=885909116850

I've Apple Care'd multiple macs/iPhones this way. Got a replacement trackpad and ODD on my old mbp in the third year of ownership via this, and my old iPhone 4 developed mic problems in its second year, Apple store replaced it with a brand new iPhone 4. It's completely legit, you just register the code online and et voila.

Last edited:

tejota1911

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2006
Personally, I never buy AC. I usually upgrade every 12 months or so anyway. I sell my old equipment for top dollar, so the price of upgrading is minimal.

BingClawsby

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2010
The way I understood Applecare was that you firstly had the usual one year manufacturer type warranty, then Applecare took care of an extra two years worth, for a total of 3 years worth of warranty if so desired.

When I bought a macbook in mid 2007, I waited till the first year was almost up then got applecare. Its nearly five and a half years later an its working like new (knock, knock). The only problem I've had to use applecare for was that just before it expired I had gotten a replacement for the original battery pack that had swollen up. (a common problem it seemed)

So bottom line is I don't think you can get Applecare now being that you would have had to get it by the time the original one year warranty expired... unless they've changed the terms in 5 years.

Apparently that is the case according to Apple:
http://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

Maybe Apple has to subscribe by different warranty laws in the UK though... I don't know

However, I do believe there are third party warranties you can buy for practically anything you own

Last edited:

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
You're right about buying in the first year, but its entirely possible the op bought his 2011 mini this calendar year in which case he's still got time.

I advise the CeX route, £35 for two extra years warranty is a no brainer. I don't upgrade macs like phones - year on year computer upgrades are the very definition of incremental upgrades, unless you're constantly running your gear full load 24/7.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm a big fan of Applecare for computers (though not for iPods) - to my way of thinking, it gives you peace of mind for three years.

I have had Applecare on each of the two Apple computers I have owned (a MBP and a MBA) and have actually had to avail of it for each of them. Well worth it. It meant that when the HDD went on my MBP, two years after I bought it, Apple replaced it without a problem.

Likewise, 14 months after I bought my MBA, the magsafe adaptor needed replacing, and the keyboard - which failed - was also replaced under Applecare.

There are those who replace computers every year. I'm not one of them. However, having Applecare when you sell on means that potential buyers may well be reassured even if they are buying a computer which is over two years of age.

Re Applecare, you can buy it at any time during the first year you have the computer - one year from the date of the sales receipt - but not one minute after that. Personally, I recommend it, especially if you plan to hold onto a computer for longer than a year.

BingClawsby

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2010
You're right about buying in the first year, but its entirely possible the op bought his 2011 mini this calendar year in which case he's still got time.

True.

Whats funny is when I go and buy some electronic do-hickey for under a hundred bucks and they want to sell you more warranty for another 35.

I tells them, 'look, if i only wind up getting a years worth of usage outta this thing and then it craps out, i got my money's worth' :D

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
True.

Whats funny is when I go and buy some electronic do-hickey for under a hundred bucks and they want to sell you more warranty for another 35.

I tells them, 'look, if i only wind up getting a years worth of usage outta this thing and then it craps out, i got my money's worth' :D

Oh god yeah. The worse for that in the UK is Argos. Buy a £6 usb charger and they try and upsell a 3 year warranty on it for £3 lol

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I got the 2012 with Fusion drive, figured more potential failure points in that system so I went with AppleCare to give me 3 years of not having to worry about repair cost.

Also AppleCare is transferable so if you sell your Mini you can advertise that as a benefit, remaining warranty coverage.

Interestingly AirPort or Time Machine is also covered if purchased within 2 years prior to, or during the AppleCare coverage on a Mac - so my AirPort Extreme I bought in 2011 is covered as well. Mice, keyboards, and displays are also covered but only if purchased with the Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.