AppleCare+?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MartinGuitar, Dec 7, 2013.

1. MartinGuitar macrumors newbie

Hi all.

I ordered an iPhone 5s and am contemplating purchasing the AppleCare+ plan for my device. I don't have a history of taking poor care of my phone, but I recently dropped my 2+ year old iPhone 4 in a puddle, and am paranoid that I might repeat my mistake (be it identical or in a similar fashion) with my new phone.

Just out of curiosity, how has purchasing AppleCare+ for your iPhone worked out for you? Or, if you didn't purchase the insurance, how has that worked out for you?

Thanks for your answers. :apple:

2. iaymnu macrumors 6502

You can't go wrong with buying apple+
    If you are on a 2 year contract it's a no brainer.
    Only scenario where the apple+ is useless is if you lost/got stolen your phone.

I have used the claims once a year for the duration of the warranty. When it's used up it is time to upgrade again.

3. Anya B macrumors 6502

Anya B

I purchased Apple Care+ because I purchased my unlocked iPhone 5s from Apple. This meant that I couldn't purchase carrier insurance. Apple Care + covers accidentally damage, I considered this as important as I once dropped my phone into a toilet. Not a pleasant experience.

My bank account also offers free mobile phone cover and travel insurance, so I've registered the phone on my account.

4. eyoungren, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I got AC+ because I am a klutz and a lot of my damaging stuff is a result of my momentary inattention to what the heck I'm doing. So, AC+ covers me for that.

Also, Sprint wasn't allowing TEP coverage for the iPhone 5 at the time I purchased (launch day). It does now, but I have AC+ and no desire to deal with Sprint/Asurion.

My iPhone 5 has been replaced once, but that was under the original year warranty so I've not had to use AC+. However, it's there if I need it, which considering that I paid cash for my iPhone and therfore have no recourse via a credit card and no TEP via Sprint is a comfort.

$49 for a replacement (I got AC+ before they changed the pricing) is a much easier to swallow fee than the Out of Warranty replacement cost.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Polling is going to be pointless. You need to purchase based on your priorities/preferences/etc. This type of coverage is one of those things that you hope you don't need but may find useful when you do need it. I always get it but that doesn't mean anything with respect to your own decision making.

6. MartinGuitar thread starter macrumors newbie

So you do get AppleCare. Thank you for answering my poll.

7. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Unless you can predict the future? Then don't get it. lol

((while sitting at the genius bar)) I've seen where people have left their phone near a pool and the condensation got on their iPhone.

If you calculate it… it's only $0.27 a day ;)

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I don't typically buy Applecare, but I recently watched my wife drop her 64GB iPhone 5s face down on the pavement. With that "crunch" sound in mind, I bought Applecare+ when I purchased my unlocked 64GB 5s.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you need one incident it's worth it.

AppleCare+ plus one incident is $99 + $79 = $178 plus tax.

One incident without AppleCare+ is $229 plus tax.

And you get two incidents (not one) and even if you use both, you still have two years of warranty left.

10. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I've never bought Applecare for any of my devices including MacBooks, iPads, iPhones, iPods. They've been really good to me (my devices). If something happens I'll usually take it to the Apple store before my free Applecare runs out.