Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SallySal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2014
Hey guys new here but just wanted to find out your experiences.

I have friend that slag it off, i have others that swear by it.
Ive been to stick to local repairers, ive had people tell me they are a bunch of scammers (atleast in my area)

Seen a few courier places, but not sure how i feel about someone collecting the pride an joy, and possibility of not getting back lol (although i doubt it).
Saw a couple of sites like this one that stood out. Guess can always just ask for a quote and see what happens.

Whats everyone's take on repair services? Or are you all experts at taking them apart?

dr3w a

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2013
I get AppleCare simply for the peace of mind and be done with.

You'd just end up spending more on repairs outside AppleCare if ever the need would arise.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Plus with AppleCare + there is some insurance on accidental damage. I also have the peace of mind that an Apple trained employee is handling the repair or replacement and not some inexperienced person in the basement who just stripped every screw on the inside of my iDevice.

SallySal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2014
thanks guys.
main reason i had asked was had seen several people mentioning before that they had to jump through multiple hoops to actually get their device repaired, or sometimes they would only replace, when they couldn't get data off of it.

Should they have a consensus between stores or reckon there is always some regional differences or maybe just the staff you get?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Ive been to stick to local repairers, ive had people tell me they are a bunch of scammers

Apple has very few to no authorized shops for devices. Especially screen repairs on iPhone 4/4s, iPads. If you see a shop doing those, they are scammers. They will do it, with a sub par part and void your warranty with Apple for the life of the device.

----------

thanks guys.
main reason i had asked was had seen several people mentioning before that they had to jump through multiple hoops to actually get their device repaired,

Beware of what you read in the internet, it is often exaggerated. 'Major design flaws' turn out to be actually less than half a percent, hoops ends up often meaning that someone just didn't like the answer they were given so they screamed and cussed until a balls less manager gave in to shut them up etc. Or they walked in, often knowing that stores run by appointment but lacking one, and were told they couldn't be helped that day and would have to come back

Also, as to the data issue, it is the owners job to backup data. In many states it's illegal for stores to possess customer data so backing up on store computers is a big no no. Even just putting it on there with full intent of deleting it is illegal since it would be in the stores possession for even a few seconds. And if you read the terms of even the limited warranty data is not covered.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I decided to purchase apple care for my Air this time. I expect it to be fine but as others have said, it's insurance that I felt trying this time. It's a new device with some new hardware and such so why not?

Plus it adds to the resale value if I decide to part ways with it.

inyah

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2014
I let mine expire. It works out to be cheaper after a couple years to pay for the latest unit.

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
I "self insure"
Never purchased AppleCare.

Ordered new 5S online day it released.
About 3 minutes later on way to get coffee outside.
Pulled out of my pocket and it slipped out of my hand.
Watched it spin in the air (seemed like 10 minutes as time stood still).
Dropped it off at a reputable repair shop on way to work iRepair.ca
Picked up on way home.
Cracked screen cost $100 to replace.
Lot cheaper than 4 years of AppleCare.

Friend of mine always buys AppleCare.
He likes the one-on-one help and tutorials.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
First off, I've never bought AppleCare from Apple at the full RRP. Lots of online options saving between 30-50%

Don't think I've ever thought about it for an iPhone or iPad, but have always taken it out for my MacBooks. I've also used it to have screens replaced on the last two MBAs so pretty good value for money in that respect.

I did think about it for my iMac although having installed a SSD within a few days of it arriving ultimately decided it wasn't worth the hassle of it not being covered if anything went wrong.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I have apple care on my iPads. my wife's air and my rMini.
on Friday i dropped it and broke the screen.. 2 work days later I had a replacement. I'm the most careful person ever. I keep it covered with only a skinomi and have not borken any electronic item in 5 years, but this past week in the ice I slipped and so did it. I live in Houston... ain't used to ice.
anyway apple care was quick to replace and i was really glad to get my 32gb rMini replaced so quickly.
I highly recommend it, not just for the replacement, but for the support that they give. I rarely need it, but when I do it is there for me.

SquirrelGirl

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2014
A vote for AppleCare!

I have been very pleased with the service, in particular the express replacement on iPads is amazing. Just recently our ipad3 went crazy, it was bought at release so it was approaching two years old. Gave AC a call, I was warned that my AC was ending and that it needed to be replaced ASAP. AppleCare sent out a free replacement, just had me send them the old one back in the same box and call fedex to pick it up. Simple as that. A complete new replacement at zero cost, just a simple phone call that lasted all of seven minutes including hold time!

Not to mention coverage of the extra hardware like chargers, etc.

I will always get AppleCare.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have always had Applecare on Apple computers and my iPad.

I chose not to get it for my iPod.

Re Applecare, there are a number of reasons I get it, mostly for peace of mind. I have used it on a number of occasions, and it has more than paid for itself (Apple repairs can be expensive). A MBP had a HDD failure two and a half years after I had bought it, a matter which was dealt with briskly by Applecare.

My old 2010 MBA has had both the keyboard and the Magsafe replaced under Applecare.

So, it gives peace of mind; makes it easier to sell on an Apple computer (not that it enhances the value so much as reassures the buyer); and it allows me to buy on a three year cycle - as I start planning to buy an Apple computer in the last six or so months or so before Applecare expires, rather than when a technological breakthrough occurs.

Personally, I recommend it, and factor it in to the cost of an Apple computer when I buy one.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I "self insure"
Never purchased AppleCare.

Ordered new 5S online day it released.
About 3 minutes later on way to get coffee outside.
Pulled out of my pocket and it slipped out of my hand.
Watched it spin in the air (seemed like 10 minutes as time stood still).
Dropped it off at a reputable repair shop on way to work iRepair.ca
Picked up on way home.
Cracked screen cost $100 to replace.
Lot cheaper than 4 years of AppleCare.

Friend of mine always buys AppleCare.
He likes the one-on-one help and tutorials.

Where did you get 4 years from ? It's 2 years for applecare + for iPhone 5S

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.