Applecare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bankaimadness, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Bankaimadness macrumors 6502

Ah back in 2010, I remember when I first walked into the Apple store and gotten my first Macbook pro. It was such an awesome day and was probably one of the most stupidest mistakes I have ever made.

After like an hour when I began to finalized my purchase, one of the apple salesman came up to me and tried to sell me Applecare. She tried to explain to me that Applecare is preferred and that I am going to get a better peace of mind and what not. I am standing there thinking if they are trying to make a sale of the MBP or trying to break me away from the sale because they were basically verbally attacking their MBP. Basically by trying to get me to buy Applecare they were saying how the MBP might break down in the long run.

Now I am not really feeling this. Apple computers are known for their excellent build quality and long-lasting components right? I mean that is why they are so expensive and so popular, right?

So I am kind of in there thinking er... are you actually trying to tell me MBP are ****** and need an extra insurance?

Anyways, I was trying to be polite and say no thanks, but then she started talking about the hard-drive. She then say that the hard-drive can failed and it is VERY HARD to replaced.

Now when I heard that, I was confused. Aren't hard-drives easy to replace and it takes like a couple of minutes to do it. Currently I have a SSD sitting on one of my laptops, but this was 2010 so I didn't know much about SSD anyways. (Would probably just bought a regular laptop hard-drive to replace it when it fails)

So is this really how Apple salesman try to sell Applecare?

2. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

how else are they supposed to sell it? By saying, your Macbook will never break, just give us 350$ extra?

And there are people who swear on apple care (and maybe who had some computers failing too) and some who never had any problems.

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

While from your description the salesperson's behavior was inappropriate...no electronic device is perfect. While many may have no problems for years, others do experience problems.

Whether one buys Applecare depends on whether one wishes to bet that there will never be a problem with their device. One might luck out...and then they have saved $350. Or, one might have a problem (as nothing is perfect), and then be in the position to have to pay for repairs. I had a logic board go south, and I was very glad that I had Applecare!

It is like any insurance...if you don't have it you are betting that you won't have problems. You might win the bet, and save money...or lose the bet, and pay more than the insurance cost.

As far as Applecare being the "best" insurance, people of good will disagree about that. I have Applecare, but others may well suggest other kinds of coverage and are undoubtedly well worth considering.

4. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i just got my first macbook, i didn't have the money to purchase applecare right away, but as long as the normal warranty is still active, you can always add it on. some people say that if something is going to fail, it will fail in the first year, but i will probably end up buying the apple care before my one year is up, just in case. I've already spent 1700, whats another couple hundred?

5. mneblett macrumors 6502

I have different coverage for different issues:

(i) Applecare for potential component failures that I want Apple to return to "it just works" status, and

(ii) accidental damage coverage off my homeowner's policy.

6. discojo3 macrumors newbie

Dude

BRO i completely agree its like buying a ferrari and them saying its the best car ever but i could blow up after a year there shooting themselves in the foot and money grabbing but its worth it because if it does blow u can get a free 1 simples

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Examples and where can you get different kinds of insurance?

8. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Yeah, HD replacements are easy on the 2010 MBPs. When I had mine I could change it in ~10 minutes.

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm sorry I can't offer any suggestions regarding other insurance, as I am satisfied with Applecare.

I believe that I remember something called FourSquare, or something like that. I'm sure that there are others who can provide you with much better information than I.

Also, it has been mentioned that some apartment/home owners insurance can cover electronic devices.

Again, my apologies that I can't be helpful on this topic. But I'm sure that there will be other posters who will offer suggestions.:D

10. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Maybe here..

I cannot say any Good or Bad, but I have seen several people mention them in other forums and places I happen by.. Might be worth a look..

They cover lots of items/offer lots of coverages, including Water Damage I believe.. Read ON!! :D

http://www.worthavegroup.com/

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

thanks, looking into it:D

EDIT, $354 FULL coverage for 3 years, not bad at all, $100 deductible covering a $1975 laptop

12. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I would think if you have something portable, things might move around? If I'm taking it outside the home, I want a longer warrantee especially when it cost more than $1k. $0.50 a day for a warrantee not too bad.

13. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Yeah.. I remember looking a while ago (I do have Applecare on my 2 yr old MBP) and thinking that for ALL the Insured Coverages (ESP Theft, Water Damage, Cracked Screen, etc) that it was NOT that bad at all!!

Applecare is pretty much 'best case' $379 here in Canada unless you are a Student, as B&H (and other Legit Sellers) will not Sell to us, likely because Apple says NO to protect Canadian Retailers!! :apple:

If I needed to cover a computer that I was 'using as a real mobile laptop' and not just goofing around in a house as some folks do, I would study the plan, likely call and ask a few questions, and likely BUY that for sure!! Over 3 years, it is ~$10/month to cover WAY more than Applecare does ~ Cheap if you EVER have any troubles.. Period!!

If you do happen to go that route, please post back here so we can see what the final deal is, just so we can 'keep track' for future thoughts/ plans at least.. Thanks again!!