AppleCare

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by illyb2000, Oct 19, 2014.

1. illyb2000 macrumors 6502

Hi;

Can someone explain the difference of an AppleCare plan to a years free warranty ? For the new 6 plus

2. ELPresidente720 macrumors 6502

3. madsci954 macrumors 68030

This. Or are you thinking of AppleCare+?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Applecare plus covers accidental damage for up to 2 years and 2 incidents with a $79 deductible. They will just replace your phone if anything happens during those 2 years.
    Regular Applecare comes with all iphones for 1 year from day of purchase. It only covers manufacturer's defects. If you drop the phone and crack the screen or get it wet or break it somehow it will not be covered.
    Only if the phone malfunctions without physical or liquid damage they will replace or repair it for free for the 1st year.

5. illyb2000 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You get one free year of warranty. AppleCare extends that warranty for one more year. That warranty is only for manufactured defects, not accidental damage.

AppleCare + gives you 2 full years of warranty against manufactured defects and accidental damage.

7. popeye88 macrumors member

AppleCare+ also gives you two full years of telephone technical support, as opposed to the 90 days you get without. That, on top of the 2 year warranty and two accidental damage incidents makes the $99 worth it for me.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Isn't Apple only offering AC+ now? My understanding is that you used to be able to purchase just Applecare (to extend the warranty one year) but now they only sell AC+.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Correct.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True.
    Not like the telephone support is that great but its an added benefit I guess to some:D

11. SnowDX, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014

SnowDX macrumors 6502

AppleCare

AppleCare+ also provides Apple's Express replacement service for free. There is charge for this service (used to be $30, not sure what it is now) if you don't have AppleCare.

This is great for people who don't have an Apple Store near them (closest to me is 6 hours). I can call Apple, tell them the phone's problem and if they decide a replacement is warranted I provide my credit card number (they don't charge the card but they put a hold on it) and a replacement phone is sent out same day and received next day. This limits the time you are without a phone as otherwise Apple sends you a box, you send your phone back, it's inspected and then they send you out a new one. Which can take a week or more.

I can also do AppleCare replacements through my cell provider as they have local stores. But the one time I did that, the phone got ordered on a Friday and didn't come until Tuesday and then I had to go pick it up. The Express Replacement Service comes right to my door and is much quicker so I like the service.

12. popeye88 macrumors member

I didn't realize this was also an added benefit. I just had to use it recently, and it was very convenient.