Applecare ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChewbaccaMac, Feb 9, 2015.

1. ChewbaccaMac macrumors newbie

Hey Guys

Ok so here is my problem. You see i just picked up the macbook pro retina 13. This is my first experience with OSX and i'm blown away. It is amazing and i feel like punching my self for not adopting it sooner. So its nice to be part of the apple club lol. I bought my Macbook pro retina off ebay brand new from an individual it was still all wrapped. Bad thing is which i didn't know is i cant get it insured anywhere ! They wont touch it because it was purchased from an auction site which i can understand. So i seen this applecare on apples website and wondered what it covered. Although it's expensive it does look good. But what i want to know is do i need the original receipt etc if god forbid something happened to this. Do applecare not require proof of purchase or do they require it, or do they only need one of the numbers on the back of you're macbook, the IMEI number or something like that. Its just this sort of gear is expensive and i feel like its vulnerable in a way, which i suppose it is a i will be using it a lot in college for my web design and development. Any reply with people on it would be beneficial. This is the mid 2014 model and i think warranty is still covered but i will need to act fast to get the applecare before it runs out.

2. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

As you are not the original buyer and it might be from abroad, AppleCare might well be the way to go, as the Sale of Goods Act won't apply.

AppleCare is an insurance warranty, it does not cover accidental damage, loss, or theft.

It basically extends Apple's warranty.

3. ChewbaccaMac thread starter macrumors newbie

ahhhh i see. Thanks for the reply :) Bit of a downer. I hate not having this thing insured. Maybe my home contents insurance will cover it hopefully. Other than that i don't see getting it properly insured. I will just need to be extra careful with it.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare does not require any proof of purchase of your Mac.

AppleCare
    AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display
    • You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
    • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
    • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase. It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
    • AppleCare follows the device, not the owner. When a Mac changes hands, the AppleCare coverage still applies to the computer. There is no need to "register" the new owner in order to receive coverage.
    • You cannot buy AppleCare again for the same device or renew it.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
    • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
    • You can buy AppleCare from Apple or from other sources, such as Amazon, B&H Photo Video, L.A. Computer Company and others. Exercise caution when buying from sites such as eBay, as some AppleCare offers have been scams.
    • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan Terms & Conditions.
    • Apple to Update AppleCare with Subscription Service and In-Store Repair Options
    As to whether AppleCare is worth it or not, that's a matter of opinion. You'll find lots of opinions on both sides, with roughly 75% saying it's worth it. You really need to decide if it's worth it to you. If you want more information, you can search the forum, where you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of threads asking "is AppleCare worth it?" The overall consensus seems to be about 75% in favor of it.

5. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Contact your insurance company. My rMBP is covered under my contents insurance, and is specifically mentioned, and the value set at what Apple charge for it. I have not had to produce receipts to prove this.

6. dqt785 macrumors newbie

I think you should put a question mark after ending your question. Your wall of text is confusing and won't do you any good.

If you are asking about AppleCare warranty prerequisites, then there is only one. Your Mac need to be under the original 1 year Apple warranty. If you go to About this Mac and choose the last tab Service, you can click on the link Check my service and coverage status or something like that. It will also tell you if AppleCare is available for your Mac. And may even help you with the AppleCare purchase because AppleCare pricing is different for each Mac model.

7. Jeff R macrumors 6502

Jeff R

Check Your Service and Support Coverage HERE!

Review your Apple warranty status and eligibility for support and extended coverage.