AppleCare+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by max2, Feb 9, 2016.

1. max2 macrumors 68000

Is AppleCare+ worth it if you have no Apple Store nearby?

2. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

You would still be able to use it through the mail.

3. max2 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks does return shipping or shipping back to me cost anything though ?

4. rzc16512 macrumors regular

No

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

They actually don't charge you shipping for warranty repairs even if you don't have AppleCare+. You have to ship in your broken phone before they ship you a replacement, though.

AppleCare+ gives you advance replacement, where they will ship you a replacement first, then you ship back your broken one. The advance replacement costs $39 IIRC if you don't have AppleCare+

6. dark_knight177 macrumors regular

dark_knight177

AppleCare+ is totally NOT worth it. Tim Cook considers AppleCare+ a profit center, where they make 99% profit margin on each AppleCare+ sold.

Let me break it down to you:

If you don't have AppleCare+ :
    1. If you break the screen on iPhone 6S, Apple will charge you $129 to replace the screen
    2. If you get water damage or run your car over the iPhone 6S, it will cost you an out-of-warranty replacement cost of $299.
    If you have AppleCare+ :
    1. If you break the screen, Apple will charge you $99 deductible + original cost of AppleCare which will end up costing you $228 (129+99)
    2. If you get water damage or run your car over the iPhone 6S, Apple will charge you $99 deductible + original cost of AppleCare which will end up costing you $228 (129+99)

7. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

AppleCare+ whether it's worth it is subjective for anyone. I personally like it. It extends warranty for a total of 2 years and it gives 2 accidental replacements @99. It also allows for complimentary express replacement service by mail.

And another thing is it covers everything including the EarPods and the lightning cable/charger. Free replacements for the life of AppleCare+.

8. Simche macrumors member

Simche

I think Apple Care+ is worth it if you know that you're "clumsy" and usually drop your phone/stuff. Otherwise I don't see the point, especially if you live in Europe where consumer laws often include "Apple Care+" for internal damage (so a semi-guarantee is always included depending on the country lenght varies).

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Nothing more needs to be said. The new pricing of AppleCare+ has made it useless unless you plan on destroying your phone completely, multiple times.

When the cost was $99 and a $50 deductible it was worth it. They have upped the cost and the deductible multiple times making it a bad purchase.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

If you are type person who has dropped their phones multiple time or had other damages I would strongly suggest you get AC+. For the average person, I say it is not worth it.

Having no Apple store near you is a plus for AC+ in my opinion.

Insurance is always a gamble.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

All extended warranties are profitable for those that offer it. That doesn't mean its not worthwhile for the consumer to have.

Do you use the same logic for MBPs or iPhones, they're profit centers too, Apple makes a ton of money off the iPhone. Just because Apple makes money off of it, doesn't negate the potential benefit.

The question is, does it make sense for the OP, does he see the risk of damage outweighing the cost. I took the plunge on my 6 plus because the risk of damage I felt was too great for such a large phone.