Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anitak1982

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2017
West Central Ohio
When I originally purchased my iphone X, I signed up for Applecare. I will have this phone paid of in November and was wondering do you pay to extend it? Is it worth it?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My son just bought an iphone x and can pay or a 2 year applecare. Is it because it is new?
Yes. At the time of purchase you can buy AC+.

Once purchased, you cannot extend it past the time it normally would lapse. You may, however, seek a refund for any months you do NOT use.

For instance, if you have six months of AC+ remaining, but sell your phone, you can either let the buyer keep that last six months or you can ask Apple for a refund of those six months. AC+ stays attached to the IMEI of the device.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
When I originally purchased my iphone X, I signed up for Applecare. I will have this phone paid of in November and was wondering do you pay to extend it? Is it worth it?
If you mean AppleCare Plus? You can only add that to your phone within the 60 days of purchase, after 60 days, you can no longer add AppleCare Plus. Once your phone will be paid off for in November, your warranty will expire and no way to renew it.

When you add AppleCare Plus to your device, you are only Extending it for an additional year (Additional 2 years if it's Mac), thus making it total of 2 years from the time of purchase (3 Years if Mac).

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Never had apple care can you transfer it to a new phone if you upgrade after a year?
No you cannot transfer the AppleCare from one device to a new device, you can do a transfer of ownership, or you can contact AppleCare support and ask for a refund and they will prorate the refund to you for any unused portion. You will have to buy a whole new set of AppleCare plus for your new device.

Reactions: The Game 161

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
For OP:

AppleCare - This comes with every iPhone you purchase. It is the standard 1 year warranty.

AppleCare+ - This is an optional purchase that can be made on iPhones up to a certain amount of days after you buy the phone (60 maybe?). It gives you 2 years of coverage from the date of purchase and also covers things not covered by the standard warranty (with a deductible/co-pay whatever it's called).

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
Yes. At the time of purchase you can buy AC+.

Once purchased, you cannot extend it past the time it normally would lapse. You may, however, seek a refund for any months you do NOT use.

For instance, if you have six months of AC+ remaining, but sell your phone, you can either let the buyer keep that last six months or you can ask Apple for a refund of those six months. AC+ stays attached to the IMEI of the device.

So if I sell my XS this year do I have to transfer AC to the new owner or is it still covered tied to the IMEI of the phone automatically whether who owns it

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So if I sell my XS this year do I have to transfer AC to the new owner or is it still covered tied to the IMEI of the phone automatically whether who owns it
It's still covered.

You can either get a refund, or you can sell it for more. Having AC+ attached to a device increases it's value to a buyer.

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
It's still covered.

You can either get a refund, or you can sell it for more. Having AC+ attached to a device increases it's value to a buyer.

Ino that which I will be doing. But do I have to transfer AC in the new owners name or with the phone itself being covered can they just book a genius appointment it they need to claim on AC

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Ino that which I will be doing. But do I have to transfer AC in the new owners name or with the phone itself being covered can they just book a genius appointment it they need to claim on AC

If you don't transfer it to the new person, then you could go back in and cancel it for a prorated refund after you completed the sale. If you want to maximize value I'd say you are willing to transfer it over.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202712

Reactions: Apple Mac Daz

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
If you don't transfer it to the new person, then you could go back in and cancel it for a prorated refund after you completed the sale. If you want to maximize value I'd say you are willing to transfer it over.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202712
Thx reading that it can’t be transferred. It’s on a Apple upgrade plan
Was planning on selling the phone with AC then pay Barclays off if this years is worth upgrading too

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
For OP:

AppleCare - This comes with every iPhone you purchase. It is the standard 1 year warranty.

AppleCare+ - This is an optional purchase that can be made on iPhones up to a certain amount of days after you buy the phone (60 maybe?). It gives you 2 years of coverage from the date of purchase and also covers things not covered by the standard warranty (with a deductible/co-pay whatever it's called).

Actually, there is std warranty, AC, and AC+.

For iphones, there is no AC option.

For macs, AC extends the std warranty (1 year) and software support (90 days) to 3 years, while AC+ adds accidental coverage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.