AppleCare

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by surflordca, Dec 1, 2007.

1. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I am so new to the Mac that I am waiting for the MacPro to be released before I buy my first Mac. My question is, should I buy AppleCare? :apple:

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

A frequently-asked and contentious question...have a search through the forums and see some of the past discussions. Just about anyone who has purchased AppleCare and had a major repair covered by it thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Just about anyone who hasn't had a major problem thinks it's a waste of money.

Think of it as insurance. On average, Apple makes money on AppleCare, so in that respect it's not a good deal. But what you do get is an exchange of the certainty of a known dollar amount for the uncertainty of a possibly-large repair bill. If you can afford to self-insure (ie. pay for repairs out of your own pocket), it's generally smarter to do that.

Also investigate the terms of your credit card if you plan on using one to purchase your new Mac. Many of them automatically double manufacturers' warranties free of charge, so you'd get a standard two-year warranty (one courtesy of Apple and one courtesy of your credit card) if you can pull that off. That makes AppleCare look even less attractive.

Even those who are proponents of AppleCare frequently suggest that it's a better deal on laptops, which are difficult to repair yourself and expensive to pay others to do. Towers, like the Mac Pro, are easy to open up and swap parts in and out for many things. So if you can absorb the labor "cost" with your own time and know-how, that also makes AppleCare less appealing.

3. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Applecare is worth every penny. You can easily get it for under $250 from places other than from Apple.

4. MacBlackBook22 macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

For sure look to the web for the apple care I was able to get apple care for both my macbooks for $300.00 total Cdn. :apple::apple:

5. TripleCore macrumors regular

And if you sell your computer before its expiration, it is added reassurance for those who might buy it.

6. TimJim macrumors 6502a

You have a year to buy AppleCare. If you want to spend the money and get protection for your computer get it.

7. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I wouldn't buy it on mac pros. For laptops, for sure. iMacs....depends on the person. For the most part if something of value will die it will die in the first year.(ie logic board) otherwise chances are good the worst you might have is a HD failure, DVD drive, or the likes. Now these are things which you can normally replace for cheaper then the price of applecare. And its easy to install.

8. surflordca thread starter macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will pass on it only because I will be purchasing the Mac Pro. Thanks again:apple:

9. joeaston Guest

Uh-oh!

Are you sure you have to purchase / register AppleCare within one year?

One year was 2 days ago! Argh! (ethernet socket on my MacBook has worn out)

I thought you could buy a plan any time, but the 3 years counted from your original product purchase date.

Anyone clued up on this?

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You can try calling Apple to beg and plead, but the deadline is officially one year from the date of machine purchase.

Otherwise you could purchase AppleCare for a machine and just hold onto it for the three years without activating it. If you ended up not needing it, you could sell it or apply it to another machine that did need it. That's not going to make Apple much money.

11. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

You have 364 days to purchase your Applecare from the date of purchase.
    period.

12. joeaston Guest

13. joeaston Guest

Order Date: Nov 29, 2006 at 04:49 AM PST

Looks like I'll have to tinker with this myself. I can't afford a new logic board.

Thanks for your replies.