applecare?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by smogsy, Jan 20, 2008.

1. smogsy macrumors 6502a

i bought my macbook yesterday with apple care should i activate it right away or should i leave it? till the years up? any benefit?

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

For the first year the only benefit is more than 90 days phone support. But you pretty much get that anyway. Regardless of when you activate it you'll still only get 3 years from when the MB purchase was made, waiting a couple months wont make it last longer...

All AppleCare does is add 2 more years to your hardware support after the original year expires and extends phone support right through after the initial 90 days of complimentary phone support.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Since all else it equal, it's best to activate now. That way, you don't forget to activate it, and then potentially cause yourself some issues if you ever need to make a claim.

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

no benefit at all in waiting and worse, you might forget to activate it in time and then you'ld be out the money.

where did buy it? if you bought it at an apple store then they may registered it already

5. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

There is a benefit to waiting... the 2 years starts from the day of activation.

edit: see devilot's post

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Nope. From date of original purchase.

And I agree with Macky-Mac, it's too easy to forget to activate it in time and there have been plenty of sob-stories where folks who do forget despite having the AC in their hands, have been turned away from Apple. And it's nice to activate sooner just in case there are hiccups on Apple's end.

I know when I activated my iMac's extended AC, there were some hiccups and it took a couple of days to be fully noted with its extended coverage.

Better safe than sorry.

7. smogsy thread starter macrumors 6502a

i submitted it aswell as sent off my rebate for printer lol

£10 printer ftw lool..

i also bought 4gb ram 2x2gb from crucial be here on tuesday

loving my first mac already sorting out my mac pro for next year when they get reupdated again.

what a waste of a self built £2200 vista pc....

8. je1ani macrumors 6502