Applecare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChadBrommer, Feb 8, 2008.

1. ChadBrommer macrumors member

ChadBrommer

I've heard several places that applecare is free in the Higher Education store. Is that true? Can you provide me with a link that says that on the site?

2. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

Applecare isn't free with HE discount, but a 3year warranty on parts is free.

You can pay about £40 to upgrade the 3 years parts warranty to applecare.

The difference between applecare and 3 years parts warranty? The 3 years telephone support that comes with applecare!

(The telephone support is mainly for software, and if you have an apple shop close you can prob just go there anyways!!)

I spent a lengthy conversation with a dude from the uk HE store about this, i can post the conversation if you really like.

3. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Link Here

4. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Please do post the conversation

5. ChadBrommer thread starter macrumors member

ChadBrommer

Everyone that had said this is from the UK. Anyone from the US who used the HE discount and got this warranty. Thanks for your reply bigbadnewill.

6. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

I think you have to be within a uni campus to access that link :D

Conversation added:

You are chatting with Marcus, an Apple Expert
    Hi, my name is Marcus. Welcome to Apple!

You: hello

Marcus: Hi

You: when you buy a macbook with student discount, what warranty do you get with it please?

Marcus: Are you in university?

You: yes

Marcus: what degree level?

You: bachelors this year, doing my masters next year

Marcus: Cool

Marcus: You get 3 years hardware cover not including software support (which can be added for approximately 50£)

Marcus: 90 days phone support is included from date of purchase

You: so i get 3 years on hardware for free, and if i want software support it's approx £50 extra?

Marcus: Yes

You: ok, so whats the difference between apple-care and the student 3 year warranty then?

Marcus: However, if you experience any issues you will be referred to Applecare so I strongly recommend the support cover as well

You: issues?

Marcus: Basically, if you get the HE emea uplift cover and buy from the HE store you get the same cover as Applecare

You: but without the HM emea i still get a 3year warranty on parts?

You: ok, so is that the same warranty as if i had apple-care? (on parts only i mean) i know applecare has software support etc

Marcus: Ok, I have a few details to line out for you

You: ok, thanks

Marcus: You're welcome.

Marcus: If you do not have the HE cover and experience an issue with your Mac you need to call Applecare

Marcus: Applecare charges for troubleshooting if the issue is software related

You: ok

Marcus: But if you have the HE uplift you are covered for 3 years

You: ok, and if i have a hardware problem i can take it to the apple store genius' and get them to fix the hardware fault?

Marcus: It does not include accidental damage though

You: ok, so the applecare is mainly a software thing, and the 3year warranty is a hardware thing

Marcus: No

You: sorry, i thought i had it then :)

Marcus: Applecare gives you 3 years hardware cover and phone support

Marcus: As you are an HE student you get the same cover if you buy the HE uplift

Marcus: You need the uplift (it is the phone support) as you do not want to be charged for troubleshooting when/if the issue happens to be software related

You: ok, now i understand...thank you very much!

I was playing dumb in the conversation to try get the maximum information out of him that I could. :D Thanks Marcus

7. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

i bought applecare even though i got HE discount for two reasons:

i want telephone support - i'm gonna be using logic soon to replace cubase i had on my old pc so would like support if anything goes wrong

and secondly, i'm not at university yet. i 'borrowed' my girlfriend's brother to come to the apple store with me a pretend he was buying for me. i don't want any hiccups if i needed to get it repaired outside the normal year warranty.

its only about £50 and i think its nice to have for that peace of mind

8. ChadBrommer thread starter macrumors member

ChadBrommer

I guess I'm asing the wrong question here. Can I ge tthe same warranty as the HE warranty in the UK at the Education store in the US?

9. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

i'm not too sure, i think so though! Is there no online chat option for the US store? If so, speak to one of the apple guys, and just ask them.

I don't see why the US HE doscount wouldn't include the 3year parts warranty as standard!

Also, i think you asked earlier...as far as i know the uk 3 year warranty will be valid worldwide. Infact, i'll go ask an apple man now :)

Back in a jiffy

Chat added!

I'm back!

* You are chatting with Marcus, an Apple Expert

Hi, my name is Marcus. Welcome to Apple!

You: hello

Marcus: Hi

Marcus: Would you like some assistance with your shopping?

You: i am currently a university student, thinking of buying a macbook pro. If i purchase it through the HE store i get 3 years warranty on parts, is that correct?

Marcus: Ok

You: however, i am in my final year and i may be moving to the usa through the summer, will my warranty still be valid in the USA?

You: for the full 3 years?

Marcus: That cover is for UK uni students in the UK only

You: i am a uk uni student now, but in order to have the warranty i must still live in the uk? That seems odd!

You: i thought apple provided worldwide warranties?

Marcus: That is the way it works yes

Marcus: We do

Marcus: 1 year worldwide on portables

Marcus: You can get the student Applecare

Marcus: But the HE agreement is valid in UK only

You: so if i get the HMEA uplift (I think thats what it's called) to make the student warranty up to a full 3 year apple care ...then will i be covered if i move abroad?

Marcus: If you get that you are covered for hardware issues (excluding accidental damage) and software troubleshooting for three years from the date of purchase of the machine in the UK only

Marcus: You are covered 1 year worldwide

Marcus: If you get the educational Applecare plan you are covered worldwide for 3 years

You: and how much is the educational applecare plan please?

Marcus: One moment while I check those details for you.

You: ok, thanks

Marcus: There we are

Marcus: Let me know if that link works for you.

You: yeah,that works. But thats the regular price for applecare. So in order to get worldwide coverage i need to buy fullpriced applecare? Then surely there is no need to buy the student HMEA uplift thingy?

Marcus: That is not the regular price for Applecare

You: how much is regular applecare?

Marcus: One moment while I check those details for you.

Marcus: £279

You: ok, thanks!

Marcus: Cheapest option for you I think would be to buy the pro with educational discount and get the educational Applecare

Marcus: That way you are covered 3 years and do not need to get the EMEA uplift

Marcus: Do you know when you might finalise your order?

Marcus: May I ask a few questions to better understand your specific needs?

You: i'm not ready to order yet, and the extra cost of worldwide warrranty has just made me contemplate not buying a macbook...sorry!

You: i thought all apple warranties were worldwide

Marcus: Ok

Marcus: No problem

Marcus: Any other questions?

You: no, thank you for clearing it up

Marcus: Cheers

So basically, the HE version of applecare is not worldwide. In order to get worldwide you have to buy regular applecare. He offered me this for £239....but we all know ebay is far cheaper for that.

So, you can still get a HE discount on the laptop, and then buy regular applecare for it, from ebay etc and get covered worldwide.

10. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Those chat logs confuse the hell out of me.

Applecare isn't free with HE (I bought mine through HE in the UK and it just gave a discount, if you buy hardware through the store you get 3 years extended warranty as opposed to the 1).

I have no idea if what I've just said reiterates those conversations. Damn Marcus....:rolleyes:

11. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

Yeah, they confuse me too! :D yeah, what you said was what the same conclusion we arrived at. It's very similar to applecare is the student version in that you get 3 years on parts...but you only get 90 days pho......

i'm bored! haha, written it too many times! marcus knows the answers. I feel close to him now, i've spoken a fair few times :D