Applecare.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wolvngelz, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Wolvngelz macrumors member

Link.

So i'm assuming this is a pretty trust-worthy source.

I was just wondering where do I enter the code the seller sends me or what website is it at?

Can anyone enlighten me?

2. spgiva macrumors regular

spgiva

Personally I would NOT trust ebay as a source for applecare, but then again I have not bought applecare in 10 years, and so far that has been the economic choice (for me). One day it may bite me in the a** though. :D

3. higgalls macrumors regular

Hey,

I actually bought from that same ebayer on the 31st of March (look at his feedback if you want to confirm).

He emailed it straight through, with the website address to register it, and it all registered without any problem, and today I actually received in the mail the Apple Protection Plan Certificate confirming everything has been registered.

So yes you should be fine (I am in Australia, by the way).

Cheers,
    Chris :)

4. Wolvngelz thread starter macrumors member

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

I bought AppleCare for my MacBook Pro (normally $350) for $200 off ebay. The seller sent me the physical, shrink-wrapped package with the certificate inside. I was a little leery, but when I entered the code to activate at Apple.com, it was accepted no problem, and about 3 weeks later Apple sent me the actual AppleCare certificate.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would take the package and pay for shipping. There are diagnostic software, which you would have to pay like $100 for otherwise.

Also $220? I would find a friend who can get you the student discount and pay $240 (which means you don't worry about scams, shipping, etc. and it's refundable)

7. Hmac macrumors 68020

Of course, "finding a friend who can get the student discount" for $240 is kind of a scam unto itself.

8. higgalls macrumors regular

And for people like me, who live in Australia, the Applecare pack costs $579 or $468 with my educational discount. So I ended up paying about $260 aussie dollars for it over ebay without any problems.

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I bought April 6 and haven't received the emailed code yet?!

No reason to panic - I'll let you know how it goes.

10. asme macrumors regular

I do believe one can download the diagnostic software from the Applecare Support website if one enters the serial number of their Applecare-protected computer.

11. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

I had a great experience when I bought AppleCare for my MBP on eBay. I bought it for $190 instead of the $350 Apple price.

I wanted to activate it before I left on a long trip, so I requested overnight shipping. The seller emailed me and offered to save me the extra shipping cost by emailing the activation code, followed up by sending the the package via regular mail. I got the code the same day and activated it immediately. That worked fine and when I got home, I found the AppleCare package and the paperwork from Apple waiting for me.

12. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

How is that a scam?

Apple doesn't specify how many Apple Cares I can buy!

Also, you cannot download the diagnostic software

14. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Received AppleCare code and activated brilliantly! Shipped $220 for Macbook Pro.

15. adamsen87 macrumors member

You can actually download a DMG from https://support.apple.com/techtooldeluxe/main?id=dl with TechTool Deluxe if you have an AppleCare Agreement enrolled on your computer

16. Hmac macrumors 68020

Let me get this straight, then, because maybe I'm confused. You are not a student, therefore not eligible for a student discount on AppleCare. So your way of getting around that is to have "a friend" who IS a student buy it for you. Now, it would seem to me that by doing that, you are scamming Apple since you are getting a discount from them that you aren't entitled to. What am I missing?

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I guess I scammed Apple since I bought 5 Macs with my student discount over the last 8 months.

Let me see. Apple: "Should we deny this customer 4 more computers because he already bought one or should we make money on all of them?"

I wonder.

18. higgalls macrumors regular

You should do what the Educational discount requirement states, and only purchase ONE Mac using your education discount within 12 months. The rest should be purchased at the full price.
    No matter which way you try and rationalise it, you are wrong.

Your rationalisation could be used to say, well I have a dodgy copy of windows XP. Lets make things right by sending Microsoft a cheque for $20. They are better off if you send them that money (even though it doesn't cover the cost of it), as otherwise you won't worry about any money and you will still use a dodgy copy.

So an educational discount should NOT be used unless you meet all the requirements.

19. Hmac macrumors 68020

What's to wonder? Of course you scammed 'em.

That's likely a question Apple already asked themselves when they set up the rules for student discounts. It seems pretty clear that they decided that students buying 4 additional computers at discounted prices for non-student friends and family was not what they had in mind.