Applecare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Techguy172, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Hey Guys,

So my Macbook is almost on to a year, and i don't know whether to get applecare or not. I have till Nov 20 to buy it. do you think it's necessary?
    are the Macbook issues still around? my case did crack a while back.

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

that depends...

Is 150-250USD worth peace of mind for the next year or two? Apple portables are hard to work on, (they all are except for the mac pro) and hard to find parts for. Do you want to find out that your logic board fried on December 17th, and learn that it's only 850USD to fix it?

3. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

Yes, I say go for it. Try and see if you can get it cheaper on Ebay but i would definitely recommend it.

Like the previous poster said, repairs can be expensive so getting Apple care is worth it for peace of mind, and incase anything goes wrong.

Just replacing the palm rest costs 100+ dollars.

4. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't know, 300 bucks is pretty expensive and could buy many things. I really want to know the likely hood of issues coming up later.

5. tdgrn macrumors 6502

Get it, seriously, I will post the reason (and letter to Apple) later.
    Long story short, they replace your stuff if you have problems...
    Yeah, get it

6. bengal85 macrumors regular

bengal85

no buy it because if anything with your mac or ipod goes wrong they will fix it and it will be cheaper than buying a new one

7. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

Yes, because if it's under warranty, use the chance for the extended version. If you ever need it, it may have been worth the money.

8. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Every part on the machine (as with everyone on the market) will one day fail. It's only a matter of when.

I highly recommend it. If anything, when/if you sell the computer it will increase the retail value. With an educational discount, you get it down to $183 for MacBook's and $250 for MacBook Pro's if you are/know a student.

9. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

You have to be a college Student don't you?

I think it's a good idea but the Price is a lot!

10. mintlivedotcom macrumors regular

11. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't trust eBay especially with that amount of money! The only way i get it is from apple or apple retailer.

12. mintlivedotcom macrumors regular

Like I said, I have had two great experiences with buying Applecare from eBay, but you can also spend a little more with the college discount.

13. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

If you have someone with you who is who has an ID you're fine. You could buy it online as well through the educational store, probably won't have to show an ID, but if they ask you to fax one in, just see your college friend.

$183 isn't ever near how expensive when they would charge $750 for you to change your display if it fades or goes bad.

14. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

15. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

What makes it so tough is I've had many other computers that didn't have a warranty and they never had a problem. I always take of my stuff, but I'm still unsure. I still have a little while I guess. Is apples failure rate bad, I had dells before.

16. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

As I said before, every part in the machine will one day fail, it's only a matter of when. If something goes in the first 3 years, it will cost you more than it would otherwise.

17. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

Do you drive your car without insurance? ALL of my new laptops have had AppleCare or some other form of insurance and NEEDED it. I can remember three different optical drives causing problems on two different laptops and a nasty issue with two of my displays. A minimum repair quote at the Apple store is generally $300 + parts.

AppleCare provides peace of mind and ease of service since you can obtain phone support, carry it in to a local Apple Store, and obtain free 2-way shipping. If you want an alternative, consider SquareTrade. A $1500 laptop can be insured for three years for $175 and a $1200 laptop for $113. They offer a 5-day service guarantee. I purchased SquareTrade warranties for other products purchased on Ebay but not an Apple laptop. So far, I have not filed a claim with them.

If you're still vacillating, ask yourself: "How would I fix this thing if it stopped working?" Repairing a laptop is not as easy as repairing a tower. You can't just flick a latch and open her up to drop in a new part. Even if you could get it open, most things are soldered on the motherboard. Google the price for your laptop motherboard.

18. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

I think I'll get it, in November. Just in case, Because like you said, what if.

Thanks guys!

19. droopysignal macrumors newbie

How does Apple Care compare to the standard Geek Squad Black Tie Protection or the Premium Black Tie Protection?

20. PhilaScott macrumors regular

PhilaScott

I think you're making the right decision. I've had my PB for 5 years and (knock on wood) I've never had any problems. But the AppleCare did give me piece of mind for the first three years I had it. When I get my MB, I will be purchasing Applecare for the extra support and warranty service.

21. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

get it. notebooks are a greater risk in terms of components failing. I used to work for apple retail and notebooks were the hot items at the genius bar. there a moving parts inside of the notebook, it is portable, higher risk of dropping it, gets warmer inside, than a desktop. do yourself a favor and get apple care. imacs are a different story, those were the best in terms of a low failure rate at the genius bar. mac pros please get apple care, they are worth too much to not get it. it'll save you every time.

22. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

wow appreciate the advice, thanks! I always get Apple care for my macbooks, but with the mac pro I was thinking of not bothering since its a desk top.

But i think I will now :) What's your advice on Cinema displays?

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely. Get it. I got it, for peace of mind. Initially, one of the reasons I switched to Apple was that they honour their warranties - two of my iPods died within warranty and were replaced without a problem or any attempt to seek refuge in contractual small print. MBPs are a lot more expensive to repair should something go wrong, especially if that were to happen a few weeks/months after the expiry of the initial one year warranty. Get it, as it's worth it.
    Cheers

24. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

The Mac Pro warranty covers the Cinema display.

25. droopysignal macrumors newbie

How does Apple Care compare to the standard Geek Squad Black Tie Protection or the Premium Black Tie Protection?