AppleCare

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DCB1, Dec 1, 2008.

1. DCB1 macrumors member

Can you get AppleCare after you purchase your computer? I remember hearing that you had up to the first year to do so.
    I am getting a new laptop tis week and need to know if I can wait to get the AppleCare.

Peace

2. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

You can buy (and apply) AppleCare up to 365 days from your original purchase date, but not a second over. Double check on apple's support site for the date they have your warranty ending and plan to get AppleCare a week or two before that.

3. DCB1 thread starter macrumors member

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

If you have an Apple store near you, waiting til near the end of the year to buy it is fine since you can carry it in and get support anytime in the first year. But if you don't have one nearby consider that the factory warranty for the first year covers all hardware problems, but only covers free call in support for the first 90 days of ownership. Because of that if you wait until the end of the year of ownership to buy Applecare, there will be a gap when you will not have free phone resolution of problems from day 91 to day 365 (or whenever you purchase Applecare).

So you can see that if you buy it in the first 90 days, your phone will be free at any time for the full length of the Applecare contract, so no gap.

5. jsgrabo macrumors regular

regardless of whether or not you have applecare, diagnostics at the genius bar will always be free. just make sure you get the applecare for the hardware. dont want to be spending a $800 if your logic board goes out on the 366th day of ownership. it'd be quite unusual if it did but hey, life happens.

6. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I would recommend purchasing from MemoryMate on eBay and telling them that "xcmpx referred you to the xmas deal." Also search the forums for live.com information. You can get 30% off today!

You're welcome.

7. DCB1 thread starter macrumors member

How are they able to sell it cheaper than Apple? I see that they say it is the same thing as if I bought it from Apple but I am just curious how it works. I know that MacMall sells it for more than Apple does...

Just ordered the laptop (from MacMall) and it should be here in a day or two.

I may order from the ebay guy in a month or two.

Thanks!
    Peace

8. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

It's one of life's mysteries... I bought my AC off ebay for about 50% of what it retails for... Be advised that there are two ways you can buy AC on eBay... They can ship you the physical AppleCare box like you would get at retail, or they sometimes sell a "digital delivery" where they just email you the registration code.

Obviously there's a shipping charge for physical items so it can be more expensive, but I opted for a physical box just for my peace of mind.