AppleCare

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by guklein, Jan 21, 2009.

1. guklein macrumors 6502a

1) Is it possible to buy an AppleCare in USA and activate it in an iMac bought outside the USA?

2) Is it worth to get it soon after you buy the iMac...or it is better to wait near the end of 1 year?

Thank you!

2. finnschi macrumors 6502

1. YES any apple care is valid WORLDWIDE!

2. Doesent matter its your 1year warranty + applecare... just remeber to buy it also buying from Ebay is cheaper and totally FINE!

I ask a t a local store where i bought my MB Unibody (Gravis) about applecare, and I got it for 80€ (110$) :D

3. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Unless you live very close to an Apple Store, AppleCare is a waste on an Apple desktop as they don't qualify for mail in service.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes
    Remember, your Warranty expires after a year, but your telephone support expires in 90 days. Having AppleCare early on will prevent gaps in coverage of both.

5. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Another option is to consider a squaretrade warranty. The reason is that you can get accidental damage coverage which applecare doesn't cover.

Also, if you purchased your computer with a credit card they may double the basic apple warranty for you already.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Buy Applecare on Ebay, dont waste money, save 80%.

Simple :p

7. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I can't speak for the validity of this in the US (and it that's the case) but here in Japan Applecare most certainly does qualify for service other than at Apple Stores. I've used Applecare a few times on my iMacs over the years and here in Japan they send a courier to the house with the boxes necessary for shipment (free of charge of course), ship it to the service center and return it again. It's quick too. I had a bad LCD panel replaced and returned on this iMac in 3 days total.

I highly recommend it. L.A. Computer's prices for Applecare are excellent by the way.

8. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why the prices in eBay are so much cheaper? How can the sellers do it?

Thank you.

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No idea how they do it so cheap, but so long as you go with a reputable seller you'll be fine.

I have AC purchased from a US seller on eBay registered against my UK Mac Pro. No problem at all.

10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

They buy them in 100000's and sell them one by one so they get a bulk discount, economies of scale :)

11. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

What is a reputable seller? More than 3000 feedbacks with 99.0% positive is enough?

Thank you.

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

What do you think!?

13. Hmac macrumors 68020

I've bought Applecare from 4 different sellers on ebay for 4 different machines within the last 18 months....substantial savings. For one of them, the seller sent me the shrink-wrapped box, the other three they sent me the registration number, usually within hours of purchase. In all four cases after registration, Apple confirmed the registration and either sent me the certificate by mail or provided it to me for download. When I check my Applecare status on their website, all four machines show up as good to go.

I don't know how they can sell it so cheaply, but it does register and is confirmed by Apple. I haven't had occasion to use any of these programs, but my daughter has (at an Apple store). She didn't have to produce the certificate -- they just looked it up online to confirm that it was indeed valid.

14. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

I dont know...I would like to know!

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I can't believe that you cannot determine for yourself that 99% positive feedback on 3000 ratings (presumably a number are for AppleCare?) isn't a pretty safe bet, but anyway, it's a pretty safe bet.

16. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

From personal experience I can soundly say that in the US desktop Macs do not qualify for mail in service, only notebooks. You can also take them to "certified repair centers" and have them repaired, but most often those places won't even honor AppleCare so it's pointless.

17. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

If Apple US is getting out of their obligation to accept mail-ins on desktops by using claiming the iMac is not "covered equipment" in the Applecare terms and conditions where they clearly state they will that sucks.

A quick Google search turned up Tyrosys. They seem to be "Apple-certified" and will send you the boxes to ship them your iMac.

Regarding Applecare:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If the machine is in AppleCare or Apple Limited Warranty, the parts and labor for the warranted parts will be covered by Apple.[/FONT]

But they do seem to have a $49 "bench fee" that is not covered by Applecare.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is nothing in the AppleCare Protection Plan Agreement that says that desktops do not qualify for mail-in service. However, it does say:

19. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Yeah, they don't specify it in the terms of service but when I called about my iMac a few weeks ago I was told that by the support tech. Thank you so much for providing me with that site! I was going to replace my defective SuperDrive myself but the part would have been $45, this way I can get it repaired under warranty and not void it for just $49 looks like.

Yep, I emailed Steve and pointed out to him that in the terms of service it only says "Direct mail-in service is available for most Covered Equipment," and that they need to be more specific, however I am yet to receive a response. But yeah, when I called AppleCare pertaining to my iMac SuperDrive they told me mail in service was only available to notebooks. It especially sucks considering that the nearest Apple Store to me is in Knoxville, Tennessee, nearly 100 miles from my home. Utter bullcrap!

20. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

At AppleCare FAQ's I found: "The AppleCare Protection Plan is available at the online Apple Store, Apple retail stores, and many Apple Authorized Resellers. Apple recommends that you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan in your country of residence, because each AppleCare Protection Plan has terms and conditions specific to consumers of the country or region in which the plan is offered. Please see the AppleCare Protection Plan Terms and Conditions for complete details."

People say I can buy it anywhere and activate it in any country. Is it really true?

Why this advice at AppleCare FAQ's?

21. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone can help me?

22. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

You've already been told by a few people in this thread that Applecare is global and doesn't matter where you purchase it. Someone above purchased his in the US for a UK machine and I bought mine from the US for my Japan-store purchased iMac.

Why do you keep asking the same questions repeatedly? You really come off as if you don't trust the answers you're receiving and it's annoying.

23. erstwhilepo macrumors member

Perhaps you should just contact Apple and ask...

24. Sam1487 macrumors member

Sam1487

I was told by a poster on another forum from Canada that over there if you never use your Apple care Apple refund you the money as credit.

Any validity in that? And does that apply in Europe if it is indeed true?

25. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

In the US if you cancel your AppleCare before it has expired they will refund you a certain percentage (based on how long it's still valid and how much the service has been used) minus a $25 cancellation fee. It'll tell you for sure in the terms & conditions.