Applecare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gullaa, Apr 28, 2009.

1. gullaa macrumors member

gullaa

Reading about all these stories about apple care going wrong. I think i am gonna regret buying the apple care two months ago. What technically has to go wrong with my MBP in order for them to Repair/Replace the laptop. If my MacBook Pro breaks done in 2 1/2 years what will happen are the parts for the old macbooks still available or do they replace with the current model macbook pro.

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

If there is something wrong with your computer, you take to a genius and they will try to diagnose the problem. They and the technicians will tell you the problem and how they will fix it.

What are your fears exactly? That you will get a better new computer?

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I don't think you can regret purchasing AppleCare - it extends the life of your MacBook Pro. Even if it doesn't fail, you had the peace of mind. Before anyone comes in here telling you Apple will replace your computer after x repairs, know that Apple does not have a lemon policy - any replacement for your computer is done by Apple out of satisfaction and is not a rule. That being said, Apple has done replacements for many users generally after 2-3 repairs of the same problem (ex. video card failing 2-3 times).

4. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

I hate extended warranties but Apple Care is the only one that I buy, have actually had to use it on all 3 of my Macs too. (Of course my iMac JUST died a year out of warrenty :mad:)
    You can add Applecare anytime you want within the first year of purchase.

5. JimmyDreams macrumors 6502

I hope I never need mine, but I don't for a minute regret getting Applecare.

Piece of mind, and all that....

6. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

wow, thats probably the oddest statement ive ever heard. yah, warranties are for chumps, stuff doesnt break, especially on expensive stuff

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Don't skimp on applecare. We are all extended warranty haters (atleast everyone I know) , but I use my machine for about 6 hours a day (work/school/financials) and don't feel like replacing a 2.5k machine. I also have fire insurance on it and all the extras I've put in it (ram, x-25m). MBP's are great but they are not without their quirks. On my first machine I had to have the fan replaced after 11 months and the power supply replaced after 10, so things happen.

8. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

I believe Apple does have a lemon law, at least in California were it states that after 3 repairs it has to be replaced by new machine.

9. PAC88 macrumors 6502

this may sound stupid but is there any way to extend the warranty past 3 years?

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No.

11. madog macrumors 65816

madog

The battery is only covered under defects, and as being a consumable part, is only covered under the first year, APP or not. [[edit: this line removed for inaccuracies]].

After that, as long as there is no serious physical damage or any spill damage ("accidental damage") then every Apple branded part will be replaced. If you add in extra RAM or bigger hard drive, those parts obviously will not be covered by Apple. If you drop your machine and there is no signs of it then you can get parts replaced. If, however, you drop it and there is a huge dent on the corner, but you don't have a problem internally until a year later it will not be covered under APP due to the damage.

Software is not covered, nor is your data. The DVD's included with every machine allow you to reinstall if you have problems, and your data is your data. They can't be held responsible for people too lazy to backup especially with external storage being as cheap as it is these days.

The unofficial/official policy for replacement computers is typically after the third MAJOR repair (which are most parts in the machine) and currently having the 4th major repair. Depending on who you talk to, they will either tell you that they are replacing it or otherwise you will have to suggest that you would like the faulty machine replaced completely. If Apple can't replace the part in a reasonable time (I've seen this happen after 2 weeks with no part from Apple), or they no longer carry the model you have, they can replace it with a newer machine. Apple has sole discretion to whether or not they will replace a machine. I have seen people get their MacBook replaced after the screen scracked, even though that is in no way covered by AppleCare. I've also heard of repairs happening days after the warranty period ended.

There are mistakes made by every warranty service out there for every device with their very own horror stories. However, just like the two stories above there are also many great things that you will most likely never hear about. Of the millions who are satisfied with a product you don't hear about it, however, once someone has a problem you can't get them to shut up (nobody complains about things working perfectly). The relatively few bad stories you hear are in no way a reflection upon AppleCare as a whole.

12. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

No. Displays are eligible for the length of the warranty, depending on the problem of course.

13. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Yeah, I just checked. I might have thought that because of people complaining about displays not being replaced due to dead pixels. A dead pixel is pretty much a common evil for LCD's and one dead pixel doesn't necessarily mean Apple (or anyone) will replace it.

Trying to think still.... it had to have come from that, or me seeing so many cracked screens in my days ("it just happened. I didn't crack it!") and constantly saying, "the display is not covered! (you lying jackass)".

:p

14. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Well you wouldn't be wrong with that. I get a lot of calls of people calling in with crack screens and thinking AppleCare would cover it (it's not a defect, YOU DID IT!. Also with the dead pixels, should they have them? No. But they do happen and with my experience, it's 50/50. You're better off getting a replacement done once you buy it but 6 months+, Apple might or might not replace it because it's within spec.