AppleDefects - Pretty scary

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SXR, Dec 16, 2007.

1. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I've been looking at this , and I always get discouraged to buy something when I read its flaws. I know every products has it flaws, is the MacBook really having all these problems?

http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/index.php?title=MacBook#Poor_Display_Quality

I Quote:

Inappropriate Fan Management

* The MacBook fans often don't turn on at all, or only when heat has reached extremes (95 celcius).

Thats impossible. That would be boiling hot, and there will come smoke off the machine..

They also say the power brick is so hot that it can burn or mark flesh. MacBook owners - let me know.

EDIT:Keys have been known to pop off of the MacBook at random

what the heck..

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

Well apple sill is statistically the most reliable computer manufacturer, i personally wont be worried until that changes, but being number 1 means everyone has a keen eye on any mistake and will pick up on it. as well as the growing popularity, apple just have more to live up to than other manufacturers so owners of faulty machines are a bit more surprised / shocked.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Both of those are known (and unresolved) defects. If you're unlucky enough to get an MB with a fan that stops working, your temperature *will* rise. And since the fan is stupidly placed in front of the screen hinge, there's a strong chance the extra heat will deteriorate the hinge bindings. Good luck getting that replaced if you're out of warranty.

The issue about the burning power adapters is perhaps the most widespread flaw on the MB. Go to the Apple Store. Read the reviews. There are nearly 800 one-star reviews for the Magsafe on Apple's own site. 700 of them say the same thing - the brick gets hot enough to burn, and the Magsafe frays beside the computer, causing a fire and shock hazard. Several people have come home to burning cables, or were lucky enough to smell their wires smoldering while using their computers. Once the adapter goes, your computer's gone until you get a new one. Naturally, this happens as most people hit the 13th month mark. $80 for a new adapter - where the same thing is just as likely to happen within the year. Want to buy a 3rd party? Tough luck. Apple's the only store in town that sells the adapter, and nothing else will power your MB/P.

Isn't it great to know your dollars are paying for those "I'm a Mac" ads, and not, you know, quality control?

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Are all of them having all of these problems? No. Are a few of them having some of these problems? Probably. Are all of these problems covered under the warranty that comes with the computer? Yes.

What are you using now and how has it been working for you?

5. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Heh, my Macbook is in its thirteenth month now. :eek:

6. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

I have an HP Pavilion now , never really had any problems exept for the screen.

Any problems with it?

7. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

One problem so far, fixed under warranty a few months ago. The casing to the right of the trackpad cracked pretty bad. Other than that no hardware problems.

8. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

Any heating problems? Are you happy with it? :)

9. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

The fan runs loud when the machine is plugged in, I believe because in its idle time it is set to fold proteins and search for aliens (World Community Grid and Seti@home). It gets a little warm, but that's about all. :)

10. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

lol, I wonder where that "95 decrees , near boiling point" comes from ;)

11. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

There is no reason to expect any more trouble than you have had with your HP. If it makes you more comfortable, you can ask a salesperson to open the box and let you inspect it. They'll do that after you buy it.

Or, if you are happy with HP, stick with that. That's okay too. Best wishes.

12. heatmiser macrumors 68020

It's weird how willing you are to cast out those data points, simply due to wanting to believe all MB's work. A simple search of heat-related threads in this forum would provide you with plenty of examples of people who've dealt with 80-90+ degree Macbooks and Pros. I mean, this kind of stuff--pretending a problem doesn't exist because you'd rather it didn't--is just a smaller version of what Apple does as a company. It doesn't make the bad things go away there, either.

13. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

thanks. nah , im saving up for a mac. Just found that appledefects an interesting site.

HeatMiser:

I dont believe that all macbooks work, dude.

14. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

My fans always kick in as the CPU heats up. Though I've only had this thing 6 months.

Also should I worry about the magsafe adapter? I use my computer in my bedroom and the adapter sits on the floor which is all rug. I do put it to sleep when I leave for the day but what is the real fire risk here. I would think there would be a recall if it was that widespread and dangerous.

15. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

Im sure those issues listed on AppleDefects are happening occasionally bit very few macbooks. when I get a MacBook and I have these problems , im sure apple will replace it asap ;)

16. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Go to Apple. Read the reviews. Decide for yourself :^(

17. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

So far my adaptor is fine. It doesn't get that hot.

18. ValientHimself macrumors member

I've never once had a problem with an adapter for an apple laptop. Mine usually sits on the carpet in my bedroom, never once gotten too hot.

The people with the frayed cables are usually the ones that are grabbing the cable and yanking it out from the computer. That is obviously going to cause problems over time. Just grasp the plastic part when removing the power connector and everything will be fine.

19. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Because this forum isn't a biased set of data points either? :confused:

Of course Apple's have defects. Please name one computer model of any brand that doesn't.

But it is likely (for all brands, not just Apple) that for every one person posting on a random internet forum (or placing a review on a mandatory product on an official website, who does that for positive experiences???) there are at least 10 others who had no problems at all.

Sitting around worrying about defects results in no work getting done. Just enjoy your product, take care of it, and report all major problems to Apple so they can get to work on fixing them.

20. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Just go to youtube or google and type in "Mac defects" then do another search for "Dell defects" or "HP defects" or whatever and notice that the Mac gets several times more hits. How does everyone explain that? Mac users are more vocal? Perhaps, a bit, but that forsure doesn't offset their poor QC.

21. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I don't know whether this means anything or not, but this is actually my second 8 core Mac Pro. The first one arrived, myself giddy and gleeful in anticipation - only to find out it was DOA, as it wouldn't even boot up, no chime or anything. So off it went to California, and Apple dispatched the Mac Pro I am using now. :apple:

22. djellison macrumors 68020

Where can I find that statistic and how was it compiled? I've not seen a single Macbook that doesn't have cracks on it and/or significant discolouration a single MBP without dings in the lid...and that's in Regents Street's Apple Store.

Fortunately, my MB is fairly good - but it does have hairline cracks slowly growing on the case.

I consider most Apple products to be like china statues. Nice to look at, but fragile.

Doug

23. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

"Just go to youtube or google and type in "Mac defects" then do another search for "Dell defects" or "HP defects" or whatever and notice that the Mac gets several times more hits. How does everyone explain that? Mac users are more vocal? Perhaps, a bit, but that forsure doesn't offset their poor QC."

Ever try to create and upload a video to YouTube using only the software that comes with an HP or a Dell?!? That might explain it... superior communications hardware and software included with Apple equals more videos.

Seriously, I think there is a lot of "I bought an Apple and it had better be perfect... why can I read the screen from 79 degrees to the left and only 77 degrees to the right! Hello sjobs@apple.com!!! Take a look at this keynote presentation I created showing graphs of the problem, posted on-line with video commentary!" versus "Eh, problems... can't tell if it's the hardware or the software... I'll have to wait until my nephew comes over to look at it".

For example, PC Magazine... every year. And they hate publishing it.

24. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

Do you have a MacBook?

25. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

I do not believe that the brick to the outlet was designed or intended to be attached to MB or MBP all day while someone is out, or at work, etc. This is, afterall, a portable computer, where the battery is the primary source of of power!

You can always unplug the AC power supply when not in use therefore foregoing any issues of over heated bricks, etc.

My G4 iBook gets hot underneath and the fan does kick in when it gets hot, but I feel this is normal!