AppleID "recovery key"

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by hawkeye_a, May 29, 2017.

1. hawkeye_a macrumors 6502a

hawkeye_a

I have an original iPad(2010) which I still use today. Today when I tried to use it to check my iCloud email, it told me password was incorrect, so I went in to my iCloud settings and reentered it. It then asked me for a "recovery key".

I have no idea what that is, I usually get a code sent to my phone or something. So i looked into getting a new "recovery key", and I could not find any way to do it on Apple's AppleID management page.

Does anyone here know how I can get past this and get a new "recovery key" so I can use iCloud on my old iPad?

Cheers

2. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

I use an iPad 1 too!

Check your iCloud email for the recovery key. Otherwise, go to appleid.apple.com on a computer and reset your password.

3. hawkeye_a thread starter macrumors 6502a

hawkeye_a

Just changed my password on my Mac, and tried updating it on my iPad, and it is still asking me for my "Recovery key".

I looked through my emails and I do not see a "recovery key" anywhere.

The Apple support pages I do find seem to refer to an old version of the AppleID page, which lets you reset the "recovery key".

Any suggestions?

4. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Just an idea (probably won't work); turn off two-factor authentication.

5. Rigby macrumors 601

The recovery key is a feature of the old "two-step" authentication (not the same as the new "two-factor" system).

Have you actually activated two-factor? If yes, you cannot login normally on the old iPad since two-factor requires iOS 9. One thing you can try is to get a verification code from another trusted iOS device (Settings/Acccount/Password&Security/Get Verification Code) or Mac (Settings/iCloud/Account Details/Security/Get Verification Code), and then log in on the iPad by appending that code to your iCloud password. If that doesn't work you'll have to deactivate two-factor.

6. hawkeye_a thread starter macrumors 6502a

hawkeye_a

That worked!!! Thanks a lot I really appreciate it!

Cheers