Appleinsider: 512MB RAM in A5

Discussion in 'iPad' started by keysersoze, Mar 3, 2011.

1. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

there already is a thread discussing this and this not conclusive. Its still mostly hearsay and rumor

3. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

That's a strange article - since when is the iPad's RAM on the CPU? Did I miss something? :confused:

If Applesinsider can't get that right, I'm not sure I trust them on the amount.

4. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

It IS on the SoC chip. Samsung packaged them together and I suspect this is one of the reasons the iPad cannot get too much RAM. Apple is trying to really minimize the cost of the logic board and the space is limited when you package them together.

5. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

512mb ram is more then enough, hell even 256 felt snappy on the ipad 1.

even the most powerful games on a desktop pc rarely use over a 1gb of ram, so 512 for a tablet is more then enough, atleast i think so

6. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I that case, apologies!! I hadn't heard that before, and none of the sites I looked at mentioned it.

7. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I remember my first mac having something like 512kb :eek:

Anyway, even if it only has 512mb let's not bitch until we see how it peforms.

8. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

No problem. It was same for the first iPad's A4 as well. You can look at the cool X-Ray pictures showing you how the RAM and the SoC stuff are packaged together at iFixit. http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple-A4-Teardown/2204/2

9. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Android/honeycomb needs more ram to function well. that doesn't mean iPad slash iOS does. Harping on the memory shows a lack of understanding of how iOS and its apps allocate resources. Not accusing anyone in this thread, but people hung up on specs should just go buy a Xoom and enjoy bragging about their hardware.

10. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

11. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

What is? You and your dislike of the iPad? Oh ok. Carry on.

12. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Interesting, thanks. You'd assume it would have a performance benefit having the RAM layered on the CPU has performance benefits, but does it limit the amount of memory that can be easily added?

You'd imagine that an iOS device wouldn't necessarily need the same RAM as an Android equivalent - given memory management is manual on iOS and thus should be very efficient; plus there's no Java VM overhead.

13. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

As far as I know, no performance gain(still seen as external RAM to the CPU) and yes it probably does limit the amount to an extent since there's obviously a limited amount of space. It makes things smaller and cheaper to Apple though, those cheap bstds!

(Come on Apple, you could've given us a better camera :( )

14. note235 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I remember last year it was almost "certain" the iPhone 4 had 256 based on dumped and knowledge of iPad but it turned out to bs untrue to everyones surprise so I say let's wait

15. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

i never said i disliked the ipad, where did you get that from?

i find it funny, if roles were reversed and the xoom hardware was on the ipad...and vice versa, all the apple fanboys would be ragging on the xoom.

listen, i don't own a tablet at all, but i have used every tablet on the market EXTENSIVELY. i'm trying to guage which one to drop money one and the deciding factor goes to iOS 5.0. if iOS 5.0 brings something useful to the table, the apple it is. if not, android it is.

don't hate dude, chill out.

16. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

You don't need to. Every post for the past few days has been negative on the iPad iOS and all about Honey and Andriod. Ok we all know you don't care for the iPad.

17. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

grow up man, for real.

something was announced yesterday and i have an opinion on it. just because my opinion isn't all sunshine and rainbows for the iOS platform and the spec bump, doesn't mean i'm anti-apple and shouldn't voice my thoughts.

point me to the macrumor policy that states only positve apple product posts can be made.

i'll wait for you to get back to me on that....

18. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Specs >< user experience.

User experience >>>> specs. Every. Single. Time.

The "limit" of 256 in the first iPad model is rarely felt. It raises its head mostly using Safari BUT other browsers seem able to cache several tabs without having to reload the pages as Safari does, so I think it's more of a Safari issue than an iPad ram issue.

In my usage (see my signature) I tax the thing pretty hard, and I've definitely noticed lagginess and decreased snappiness over time. I have 2500 contacts and an active calendar using mobile me, several imap email accounts, etc. And I use it all day every day. So for me any added horsepower in the ipad2 will be welcomed.

The hands on videos posted of the ipad2 (eg on engadget) show clearly that the ipad2 is visibly snappier than the iPad. It should suffice for 99.99% of users.