AppleInsider Mac mini review

Mannaerts

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2010
Belgium, Antwerp
Not much of a review imo.
They didn't open it and they went a little fast over the benchmarks i think.

The only thing is hold in my head is that the i3 is a worthy base model.

Reactions: grandM

ElectronGuru

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
The bottom cover doesn’t have 2010-12 opening dots. Suggesting the opening architecture (and ram install difficulty) will be closer to 2014 levels.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
The bottom cover doesn’t have 2010-12 opening dots. Suggesting the opening architecture (and ram install difficulty) will be closer to 2014 levels.
If that was confirmed, I think I'll have to wait the next model. Perhaps when they experiment a huge drop in purchases, they'll offer something more upgradeable. We are paying more for less upgradeable Macs. My 2-gen i7 rMBP does a Geekbench score of 11000 (MC), more than any current Macbook, Macbook Air and even entry level MBPs from the previous year, but its limitation of 8GB of RAM makes it disposable sooner than it should. I'm not an environmentalist, but they should charge more for their entry-level product and make everything (technically possible, like RAM, SSD and sometimes even the processor) upgradeable.

MRrainer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
If that was confirmed, I think I'll have to wait the next model. Perhaps when they experiment a huge drop in purchases, they'll offer something more upgradeable. We are paying more for less upgradeable Macs. My 2-gen i7 rMBP does a Geekbench score of 11000 (MC), more than any current Macbook, Macbook Air and even entry level MBPs from the previous year, but its limitation of 8GB of RAM makes it disposable sooner than it should. I'm not an environmentalist, but they should charge more for their entry-level product and make everything (technically possible, like RAM, SSD and sometimes even the processor) upgradeable.
Intel makes more and more CPUs BGA-only.
They just aren't available socketed.

Some people are OK with 8GB.
Why make it more expensive for them?

Reactions: D.T.

Stephen.R

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Video review out now!
I don't think I have the patience to sit through that. I got to the power cord and had to close it. I feel like it was intended for someone who has no concept of what a Mac mini is.

I guess it's the new world of 'content'.

Perhaps when they experiment a huge drop in purchases
The activity in the threads about the new model on this site alone, suggest otherwise. Until they announced it, I was resigned to buying an iMac. It wouldn't have been ideal but it would get the job done, and it's a little more expandable (cpu and memory wise) than a MBP.

Then, the new Mac Mini comes along. it's almost the definition of what I wanted. Lots of fast cores. Heaps of memory. Plenty of IO/expansion.

I can see plenty of people who bought MacBook Pro's or iMacs for software dev, ops, etc, jumping to a Mac Mini now.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2018
Earth
I don't think I have the patience to sit through that. I got to the power cord and had to close it. I feel like it was intended for someone who has no concept of what a Mac mini is.

I guess it's the new world of 'content'.

The activity in the threads about the new model on this site alone, suggest otherwise. Until they announced it, I was resigned to buying an iMac. It wouldn't have been ideal but it would get the job done, and it's a little more expandable (cpu and memory wise) than a MBP.

Then, the new Mac Mini comes along. it's almost the definition of what I wanted. Lots of fast cores. Heaps of memory. Plenty of IO/expansion.

I can see plenty of people who bought MacBook Pro's or iMacs for software dev, ops, etc, jumping to a Mac Mini now.
I was in for a 2018 MBP, because my mid 2012 MBP is maybe living it’s last days, and I don’t think it will be supported by 10.15.

But then I thought:”Wait, you barely disconnect it from the monitor, you’ve been keeping it in clamshell mode for the past 2 years 90 percent of the time.”

And rumors about new Mac Mini being released maybe next year got me interested, so I decided to wait. As it turns out, it was worth it.

But don’t let this sub forum fool you, many people here are Mac Mini fans, who were going to buy it no matter what.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

Stephen.R

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I was in for a 2018 MBP, because my mid 2012 MBP is maybe living it’s last days
Similar story really. After 3 fan replacements in 12 months (that first time you order replacement parts from a supplier website with Hong Kong and Shenzhen addresses is a real roller coast ride of "is this a scam.. is this a scam") my 2011 17" couldn't really classify as "reliable" any more, by work standards. So this is the compromise we made. A bog-standard, base model 15" as a short term "we still need to make money" tool, and then waited for the expected new desktop to customise as required.

I'm sure there are fans who just buy whatever is new - I'm sure there'll be a glut of 2018 Mac Minis on eBay or similar with never-once-utilised 10GbE in a couple of years, when the next new shiny is out.

But I also do believe this machine will be very popular with developers/ops/etc type roles.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
but its limitation of 8GB of RAM makes it disposable sooner than it should. I'm not an environmentalist, but they should charge more for their entry-level product and make everything (technically possible, like RAM, SSD and sometimes even the processor) upgradeable.
I make products myself and am used to working with tradeoffs. The basic question is, how similar are apples tradeoff decisions to yours. They may have decided the existing footprint was important or that 64w CPUs were important or that avoiding warranty claims for bad installs was important. If none of that matters to you, its going to suck for you. But some of these choices may make more sense for others.

Even so, the RAM is not not upgradable, its just not easy. I've taken apart 3 dead laptops and used the parts the make 2 working laptops of the same model. I can probably manage the install. But I probably won't risk it during the warranty period. I'm ok with that, if it means exceptionally quiet operation from the huge fan that's in the way of the RAM slots. Thats my tradeoff.

I'm a long time Mini fan and was already expecting to replace my 2010 mini. Then today I found myself wondering about resale value on my other Macs. Like "what if I also replace the 5k iMac with mini + 3x 4k displays in portrait mode. At least until I did the math on $850x3 just for the panels. But that's todays prices, someday those same screens will be 450 or even 350 each. Then things get a whole like easier.

Stephen.R

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
At least until I did the math on $850x3 just for the panels.
I guess it all depends what physical size you want to use - I'm paying quite inflated (I think due to import taxes) prices for a couple of Dell 24" 4K's but even they're not that expensive. Also remember one of the 4K's has to be over HDMI if you want three of them.

Stephen.R

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I’ve been out of the display game for a while but would want imac equivalent which seems to be LG. The older premium LG seems to be 850:
Until.. a month ago, I guess, I was using the standard ~110ppi pre-retina display on the last 17" MBP. Entropy (and 3 failed fans in 12 months) 'forced' me to buy a 2018MBP as an interim, while waiting for new desktops.

I'm not going back to low DPI displays again. I spend most of my time reading or writing text (either code, a console, DB queries, etc), and it's much nicer when that text is crisp.

I very briefly considered an LG ultrawide display. But they're still quite low DPI, (the cheap ones are very low DPI).

If it were available here, and reasonably priced, I'd probably have got 2 of the LG 4k 21" screens, but they're not available, would likely be ridiculously expensive here, and from what I understand they're not as flexible as the Dells either (i.e. no 90º rotation?)

I never thought I'd be buying Dell stuff, but (I think i said this before somewhere) I used a reasonably large (maybe 24" actually) "regular" (non-4k, probably 2560xwhatever I guess) Dell monitor many moons ago when I was contracted with AusGov (all dell in the office) and I remember being pretty happy with it for work. Critically - I won't be using the Dells side-by-side with e.g. an iMac (first one is on it's way and will have a short period of use with this MBP until I can order the Mini) so slight differences in colour/etc arent going to stand out to me.

Now if I can just find a way to hide that hideous Dell logo.... :D

Reactions: ElectronGuru

strawbale

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
French Pyrenees
Until.. a month ago, I guess, I was using the standard ~110ppi pre-retina display on the last 17" MBP. Entropy (and 3 failed fans in 12 months) 'forced' me to buy a 2018MBP as an interim, while waiting for new desktops.

I'm not going back to low DPI displays again. I spend most of my time reading or writing text (either code, a console, DB queries, etc), and it's much nicer when that text is crisp.

I very briefly considered an LG ultrawide display. But they're still quite low DPI, (the cheap ones are very low DPI).

If it were available here, and reasonably priced, I'd probably have got 2 of the LG 4k 21" screens, but they're not available, would likely be ridiculously expensive here, and from what I understand they're not as flexible as the Dells either (i.e. no 90º rotation?)

I never thought I'd be buying Dell stuff, but (I think i said this before somewhere) I used a reasonably large (maybe 24" actually) "regular" (non-4k, probably 2560xwhatever I guess) Dell monitor many moons ago when I was contracted with AusGov (all dell in the office) and I remember being pretty happy with it for work. Critically - I won't be using the Dells side-by-side with e.g. an iMac (first one is on it's way and will have a short period of use with this MBP until I can order the Mini) so slight differences in colour/etc arent going to stand out to me.

Now if I can just find a way to hide that hideous Dell logo.... :D
2011 MBP 17" screens are 1920x1200, so 133 ppi (like my BTO 2007 MBP 17"), so pretty crisp text-wise, I find.

Stephen.R

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
2011 MBP 17" screens are 1920x1200, so 133 ppi (like my BTO 2007 MBP 17"), so pretty crisp text-wise, I find.
Ok, 133, my mistake. It's not terrible, I used it for many years, but it's also not something I want to go back to, having used something with a higher PPI.

strawbale

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
French Pyrenees
Ok, 133, my mistake. It's not terrible, I used it for many years, but it's also not something I want to go back to, having used something with a higher PPI.
Understandable - I've been waiting for this 4k@60Hz MM for quite a while and will pair it with a 24" 4k as well - either Dell (P2415Q) or LG (24UD58B) on a VESA stand.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2018
Earth
Go to the fourth page of comments. The reviewer says there is one TB3 controller for ALL FOUR Thunderbolt™ 3 ports.

So I guess I can forget about getting full 40 Gbps from both graphics card and external NVMe drive, for example.

Reactions: strawbale