Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
Sorry for the all-caps, but I think the subject justifies them.

particular, the company this week is said to be preparing for massive air-freight shipments from the Far East that are due to drop in the United States around the 5th of September.

Although sources were not specific as to what product(s) Apple is planning to move, the timeframe of the shipments coincides nicely with dates in which the Mac maker is believed to be ready to roll with its first Core 2 Duo-based MacBook Pro notebook systems.

Full Article.

I think we can assume this is true, given AppleInsider's insanely great track record - flawlessly predicting the Mac Pro's dual optical drives, all XEON processors, and unchanged case for instance.

In addition, they also put new iPod nanos as coming out in September as well... possibly around the 16th.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Merom in MBPs makes sense, but I'm not sure the iPod nano will be end-of-lifed so quickly. Bumped up in specs perhaps, but probably not retired altogether.

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
ksz said:
Merom in MBPs makes sense, but I'm not sure the iPod nano will be end-of-lifed so quickly. Bumped up in specs perhaps, but probably not retired altogether.

End-Of-Life is something told to retailers. It means "get rid of these, these exact models will be outdated soon", not "No more iPod nano".

I'm personally expecting a mini-esque design and a capacity bump.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Good to know...now if Apple could just launch a 12/13" MBP or even an improved 13" MB (with dedicated GPU and perhaps a backlit keyboard), I would be glad to spend some Swiss Francs on a new notebook..!

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
extraextra said:
Hoooray! Maybe all the "When is Merom coming out?" "Should I wait for Merom?" etc. threads will stop now. :rolleyes:

No sorry. There will be more.

When is the question?

Tomorrow in MBP [please]? Or is that too early?

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
This is exciting! It's hardly a rumor anymore! I still remember waiting for new PowerBooks... and now we have 64–bit dual–core CPUs. *cries* I love Intel!

ebuc

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2003
Nor'East
"massive air-freight shipments"...MAFS next Tuesday...That way its a bit more vague, since we don't know which machine Apple will update

(Really, though, we all know it will be the MacBook Pros. It better be.)

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Grrr...

Sheesh. So glad I upgraded to my 1.67 PB to the 17" MBP. Although I love the speed bump between the 2, I cant imagine a 64 bit MPB. For now I think I'll just have to keep the one I have (until photoshop goes native at least) however, If they change the case- I may have to cry. :(

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I want my Conroe iMac!

I'll even be happy with Merom...just give it to me before the free iPod deal expires :(

MikeNemat

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2006
There has been sporadic reports around the 'net and also on the macrumors forums of macbook pros going on 5-7 day delays at the apple store and out of stock at retail stores.

I smell a tuesday morning product update :D

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
BRLawyer said:
Good to know...now if Apple could just launch a 12/13" MBP or even an improved 13" MB (with dedicated GPU and perhaps a backlit keyboard), I would be glad to spend some Swiss Francs on a new notebook..!
If MBs got a dedicated GPU & backlit keyboard, what would be the difference between that and an MBP other than a superdrive, Firewire 800 and an Express Card slot? IMO, that's not enough of a difference for me.

ryanx27

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2006
ebuc said:
"massive air-freight shipments"...MAFS next Tuesday...That way its a bit more vague, since we don't know which machine Apple will update

(Really, though, we all know it will be the MacBook Pros. It better be.)

God, I hope so. Student loan money is hittin' soon, and will be burning a hole in my pocket (that is, the painfully finite chunk of it that won't be ear marked for law school tuition, books, rent, and food :( ).

But besides the back-to-schoolers, I think so many people are following the Meroms-in-Macs story intently because if Apple goes "live" with Meroms soon, it's going to signal that "milestone" shift for Apple that people have predicted ever since the switch to Intel was announced -- a competetive, responsive, and regular update/upgrade cycle for Macs that keeps time with the PC market (and, by proxy, will probably offer a greater array of choices for Mac buyers as well).

Here's to hoping that Apple makes "all the right moves," and wins much more market share by doing so!

LittleJ09

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2006
I thought "Core 2 Duo" was intended to be a desktop chip, and "Core Duo" was the laptop version.

If this is not the case, what was the point of the "Core Duo" ?

Di9it8

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
MacBook Pros

It would make sense to improve the specs of the MacBook Pro, as at the moment it is the screen size and vram as the differences. Also what about the iPhone:rolleyes:

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
appleintelrock said:
Sheesh. So glad I upgraded to my 1.67 PB to the 17" MBP. Although I love the speed bump between the 2, I cant imagine a 64 bit MPB. For now I think I'll just have to keep the one I have (until photoshop goes native at least) however, If they change the case- I may have to cry. :(

Don't worry, they won't change the case. There's not even a chance. The Mac Pro is all the proof you need. Aluminum is perfect! :)

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
LittleJ09 said:
I thought "Core 2 Duo" was intended to be a desktop chip, and "Core Duo" was the laptop version.

If this is not the case, what was the point of the "Core Duo" ?

Core 2 has 2 variations - laptop (merom) and desktop (Conroe) both are 64bit

Core Duo (Yonah) is the current one and is 32 bit.

The point of Core Duo (for Apple) was to get onto dual core Intel processors as fast as possible.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Merom soon makes sense--in the Pro models and maybe iMac.

But Apple should certainly keep Yonah machines (Mini and MB) as well.

Yonah (even single-core Yonah) is already overkill power for some low-end users. So why make them pay for a pair of Merom cores?

Instead, let Yonah's price drop, and the bottom-end Mac models' price drop with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.