Applejack question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by britt0289, Jan 13, 2013.

1. britt0289 macrumors newbie

Had an issue with an external earlier that got remedied through disk repair. I figured I check out the boot disk...Checked with Disk Utility, says needs repairs. Got AppleJack 1.6, auto mode. I say 10 minutes go by and it asks me to reboot. I do so...check Disk Utility again and it says it needs to be repaired.

Did I do something wrong? Or is Disk Utility just unreliable? Boot up disk isn't acting EXTREMELY erratic but it has a few hiccups here and there. I just want to make sure it doesn't choke sooner rather than later :-/. I have DW and it is kind of intimidating to just haphazardly go in and finagle with stuff. (Don't have the bootup disk unfortunately)

Some insight please? Thanks!

2. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I'm sorry but I'm just a little confused atm.

Maybe a few more details? It is tough to troubleshoot a system when you don't know what exactly you're working with.

Is it a regular Mac? Mini, iMac, laptop? How old is it?
    Are you on Snow Leopard? Lion? Mountain Lion?
    Is this system completely stock?

So First you had some sort of problem with an external hard drive? and using Disk Utility to repair permissions OR repair disk? fixed the problem ?

So then I guess you decided to check permissions OR verify disk on your startup drive?
    It sounds like you're saying Disk Utility scanned the startup drive and found problems so instead of using Disk Utility to fix the problems you used AppleJack.

Personally I have only ever used Disk Utility for checking the status and repairing of my drive in OS X. I haven't had any problems with it.

Every once in a while I'll Click verify permissions on a disk and if Disk Utility finds problems then I'll have Disk Utility Repair Permissions.
    After repairing permissions I'll click Verify Disk and then Repair Disk if any problems were detected.

Also if you have Show Details checked in Disk Utility then it should tell you what type of problems were found, either with Permissions or Verifying the Disk.

Attached Files:

3. britt0289 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry! I tend to ramble a bit...

I have a 3 yrs old Macbook Pro. It has OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard). I am not sure what completely stocked means. I didn't do any drastic changes to it so I guess so?

And I was verifying the start-up disk via Disk Utility. It said it needed to be repaired. I searched around and it seems repairs can only be done via GUI or the boot up disc. I have no clue what GUI is and my bootup disc is MIA. I read AppleJack can fix this issue by using it in Single User Mode. I did such and what most estimated to be 30 minutes, only took me 10. I went back to DU to verify the disk and it says it is still borked.

What I wanted to know was, did Applejack not work, did I do something wrong or is DU unreliable? Given my trouble with DU with my external, I have a jaded opinion of it. Just wanna fix this before it becomes a bigger issue.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

GUI is Graphical User Interface... this is what you see under a normal OS X screen, as opposed to the text based interface like when you booted to single user mode.

Here is what I think may be going on. Some disk errors cannot be fixed while you are booted to that disk, even in single user mode. All Applejack is doning is using the "fsck" command to try and fix the disk errors.

What you need to do it figure out a way to boot to an external disk/DVD/USB key and repair the disk from there.

What I would do is either call Apple and buy another SL DVD then boot from that to do the repair.

Or... you can buy Mountain Lion from the App Store then make a bootable USB with the ML installer using this free utility with an 8GB USB key. Once you DL ML do NOT run the installer as that will delete the installer file (4.7GB) you need to make the USB key.

So DL the ML installer then quit it. Then run the utility I linked to make the USB key.

Now shut down and do an option key boot to boot from the USB key. Once in the installer, start Disk Utility then select the drive name (like Seagate 1TB or whatever) and not Macintosh HD. Then click repair disk. This will fix errors on the entire disk and not just Macintosh HD. Once the disk repair is done and there are no errors, go ahead with the ML install.

ML will install over top of SL without wiping your data, but make sure you backup first just to be safe.