AppleLPC.kext gone after firmware update today, is it important?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mr Black, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Mr Black macrumors member

Mr Black

Im having a lot of difficulty finding what this file does/did but after the firmware update today 2 .kext prefpanes had to be reinstalled (Little Snitch and Intellipoint software for my mouse) b/c they were just gone and AppleLPC.kext disappeared apparently but I have no idea what it is or how to even get it back. Any help/input would be much appreciated. :):):)

:apple: Mr Black :apple:

2. Not-a-cliche macrumors regular

If:
    An Apple update removed it.
    And:
    You don't know what it did.
    And:
    There have been no consequences.
    Then:
    It didn't matter.

3. Mr Black thread starter macrumors member

Mr Black

Ok, Ok, no need to be condescending

Im very new to the world of macs and im simply asking the question b/c I want to know what the file did/does. Partly out of a bit of concern, albeit probably not justified but if I spent $1700 ca on anything I want to know the functions of all the things that make it up, but mainly out of my own curiosity so no need to be condescending in your answer please.

Thanks,

:apple: Mr Black :apple:

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I don't see how his post was condescending. You weren't called any names. All that was posted was a decision tree of sorts, and one that makes good sense.

Just keep in mind that it's very unlikely for a missing file to cause permanent damage to that CAD$1700 piece of hardware. Worst case scenario is that you'd need to break out your OSX install discs and restore the OS. But again, as long as your Mac continues to function well - and it appears to be doing so - then there shouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, congratulations on your choice to join the Mac world, and I hope you're enjoying your decision so far. :)

5. Mr Black thread starter macrumors member

Mr Black

I retract my statement

I apologize for being defensive, your right SP, Not a cliche I apologize I was very tired yesterday and was just being a jackass. Thanks guys for your responses. I didn't think any permanent damage had occurred but I just wanted to know what that extension did. Its just annoying b/c every time my MB restarts the same message pops up stating that "AppleLPC.kext could not be used and should be installed again". Im really interested in what this does so anyone who might know message me or reply. There seems to be no info about it, its a little mystery.