AppleMail & BlackBerry Curve 8330

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fourtyoneantz, Mar 4, 2009.

1. fourtyoneantz macrumors member

Hey All-

The other day I decided to use the Mail program instead of checking my webmail constantly. I LOVE it. It's so much easier. Anyway, ever since then I haven't been receiving my mail on my Blackberry? I get a sporadic email or two but then I come home to 28 emails on my Mac. I don't understand what's going on here. Also, my webmail inbox never retains any mail. It's always empty. I feel like this may be the cause?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. sallythemac Guest

Are you using a POP3 account?

If so, POP3 is a pull-only service. When your mac checks for mail it pulls the mail from the server. It doesn't leave a copy it, it takes the original. That is why u can't see it in webmail after. This also means which ever device pulls it first gets the mail. So if u read the email first on your BB, the mail is pulled there. My mum has the same issue with her iPhone and Outlook.

Outlook has an option to leave a copy on the server. Therefore a copy stays in webmail for the iPhone.

IMAP4 solves this issue as it sync the changes, rather than pulls.

I am not sure if there is an option in Mail.app (i only have a IMAP4 account). Go to Preferences > Accounts and see if there is any options along the lines of "leave copy on server".

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

In Mail there's the option whether you want to remove the message from the server. If you navigate File--->Preferences--> (select the account you want to change)---> Advanced. There's a check box "remove message from server." OP, you'll want that unchecked to allow all msgs to go both to your MB and BB

4. sallythemac Guest

That's good to know for when my mum finally sees the light and moves to Mac!

Cheers.

5. fourtyoneantz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks you guys! I think that will do the job. I think the problem was that my messages weren't staying in my inbox long enough to be forwarded to my BlackBerry because my Mac pulls every 5 minutes. The sporadic emails were to due "perfect" timing. In other words my BlackBerry just so happened to pull a message in that 5 minute span that my Mac wasn't pulling. We'll see what happens!

6. skybolt macrumors 6502a

My mail account is set to IMAP and it works perfectly on my BB. Having said that, remember that the BB does not "push" emails, so there is lag time in reconciliation. On the BB you DO want to set the reconciliation to ON (or whatever the preference says). Then, eventually, the emails will reconcile with each other.