ApplePay, London Tube & Contactless payments

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by E3BK, Nov 16, 2014.

1. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Just wondering if any US folks who travel to London have tried to use ApplePay for the tube? I'm heading over for work next month so I was going to top up my Oyster when I noticed that I could add a contactless card now. Nice! A little further digging led me to read this:

I do have my AMEX set up as my contactless card on the TFL site now but I'd really love to use ApplePay if that's at all possible. Let me know if you've tried and the results!

2. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

I didn't even know Apple Pay works on the tube or buses. I hope TFL are quick to implement :apple: Pay on their transport network once it goes live in the UK, it would save carrying around that pesky Oyster Card in addition to your other essentials.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

4. john500y2k macrumors member

I don't think tfl will have to do anything as they have contactless all set up. Even when they just said Oyster cards would be accepted contactless cards still worked as there where a huge number of complaints about being double charged when someone had both cards next to each other.

I really think it is just a case of Apple flipping the switch on for the uk. And obviously U.K. Banks singing up to be included.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, I don't think that's correct as you still need a U.S.-based card from a supported bank. It should in theory work with any NFC as long as it supports tokenization so it's not a case of Apple flipping the switch.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Here:

You can use here, at ticket machines.

You can't use ApplyPay as your Oyster card, but you can use it to buy and reload your oyster card at ticket machines.

Or at least that's how I ready it. Subscribing for curiosity sake.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

googled, found this

Sounds like ApplePay's security makes it incompatible with the Tube.

8. john500y2k macrumors member

Good find Menel. Didn't think about the ticket inspector can see that one causing some issues.

9. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

The Tube can be a nightmarish crush. I'm not sure I'd want to have my $900 phone out in hand going through the gates. I prefer the indestructibility and lower value of an Oyster.

10. iGeek2014 macrumors 68000

Same here.

Not only that but if the finger print sensor was acting up you'd be there a while at the gates trying to tap in and out of your journey.

And given the impatience of some people you wouldn't go too well, haha!!

11. E3BK thread starter macrumors 68020

E3BK

I've thought about this. If I do try it out there on my next trip, it would be during non-peak hours when there aren't many people around. I'm curious, not stupid. lol. Also, I'm a New Yorker so I know all about that subway rush. ;)

Thanks for all your responses. Doesn't look like anyone has tried this yet. I'll try if I can when I'm there just to see what happens either way.

----------

You can use AMEX cards with a chip in it:

----------

That explanation does make sense. While it wouldn't do you much good for daily/weekly caps, I'm still just curious if it would work.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

There's still a unique yet constant number when using Apple Pay in the form of Device Account Number. The DAN doesn't change each time you use a particular credit card so I wonder if it'll still work?

13. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

No. It would not!:)

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

The DAN isnt transmitted.

The DAN is used as the basis to form the time based one time tokens.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yet the DAN (at least the last four digits) is shown on the receipt so why wouldn't it detect that?

16. E3BK thread starter macrumors 68020

E3BK

Resurrecting this old thread to see if anyone had any updates. That work trip to London ended up not happening (we went to Dublin instead). But I am going next month for sure for vacation so curious if any US travelers have tried it yet.

In any case, I hope my very old Oyster card still works so I can use up the balance on it. :)

17. tmiw macrumors 68000

On the FlyerTalk forums we concluded that Apple Pay will work for the turnstiles on the Underground but only if you use a MasterCard. Apparently that's the only card type that will transmit the necessary information to make those work. If you authenticate with Touch ID as you're walking towards them (open Passbook, bring up the card and put finger/thumb on button) it will keep the line moving and you won't inconvenience the people behind you.

Hope this helps! :)

18. E3BK thread starter macrumors 68020

E3BK

I found my Oyster card and there was still quite a bit on it so I didn't try ApplePay on this trip but I will add my MasterCard to my Contactless Cards list for next time! Or do you not even need to bother since it's in ApplePay? Just trying to figure out how the daily cap would work on it.

Also, I'm on FT as well and would love the link to this thread if you have it handy. :)

19. tmiw macrumors 68000

Relevant FlyerTalk thread (within the last 5-10 pages of it or so IIRC, I forget where exactly)

The daily cap is based on the DAN/PAN of the card so as long as you tap in/out with the same device you should be good.

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    The Device Account Number is static. It's the other authentication codes that go with it, that are dynamic.

According to a recent TfL news release, Americans have been using Apple Pay on the transport system for some time now.

As others have noted though, make sure you're ready to go fast if it's rush hour. And try not to damage your new Watch tapping it in a hurry :)

21. E3BK thread starter macrumors 68020

E3BK

It was just a matter of time, I guess. So Oyster support is becoming "official" which is super exciting. Hoping US transit follows. I travel to Chicago and have a Ventra card and hope they implement it there in the future. Also, hopefully within the next millennia, the NY MTA will move to contactless cards as well and utilize NFC tech.