ApplePay usability

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by omelet1978, Nov 5, 2017.

1. omelet1978 macrumors regular

Hi,

I really like ApplePay but I’ve found that it does not work all the time. However, when I use Samsung Pay it does. Samsung Pay emulates the magnetic strip reader I think.

It’s been a while since I used ApplePay. Has it improved lately or has Apple made any changes? Tempted by the iPhone X so that is why I’m asking lol

Thanks

2. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

Not much has changed. If the store agrees to allow Apple Pay, it will work. If they don't agree to Apple's terms, it wont. Not a lot of stores where I live support it and definitely no restaurants, other than McDonalds and Subway. My grocery store does not support it. So it's still somewhat of a novelty for me.

3. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

It’s worked every time with me. Except some times at a grocery store.

4. stulaw11 Suspended

It's not "Apple's terms" It is if the store has upgraded terminals that accept NFC. Which most are cheap and dont want to upgrade their systems to current technology. Some stores dont even have the chip yet let alone NFC.

All NFC terminals can accept Applepay (and Android Pay the NFC type; samsung pay uses the strip reader via sound or something like that)

5. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

I doubt they have any incentive to turn on NFC because neither the CC company or the store want to give a small percentage of the transaction to Google or Apple. The incentive for upgrading to chip readers is responsibility for who pays for a fraudulent charge. If they dont have the chip readers, the store is stuck with the fraud charge.

6. stulaw11, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017

stulaw11 Suspended

NFC is much more secure than mag strip too. The tiny fraction of a percent for smaller volume stores, .15% to be exact,is far less than the system upgrade costs which can be in the thousands.

Let's face it, businesses build in their merchant transaction fees into their merchandise pricing/profit per item. To think Apple is "stealing" from them, all of 15 cents per $100 purchase, is nonsense.

7. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

I'm just amazed at how many stores still don't have chip readers, especially the smaller merchants. Most restaurants, even the big ones still don't use them. I guess they would rather swallow the fraud charges than upgrade their equipment.

8. stulaw11 Suspended

The hardware costs thousands is why when talking the terminals for each checkout and the backend software upgrade

9. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

Most of that can be written off as a business expense.