ApplePay Usage/Even Usable?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigdog5142, Jan 8, 2015.

1. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

I wanted to see how many of you are using/are able to use ApplePay in your normal purchasing routines. I live in the suburbs of Detroit...and I've been able to use ApplePay ONE TIME since getting my iPhone 6 on launch day. I've tried to use it many times, but no joy. Even traveling this Christmas and I haven't been able to use it. That's a bit frustrating. I'd love to be able to use it, but the NFC devices are few and far between for me...and the places that DO have them either don't work, don't have them turned on, employees don't know how to use them or the business has them turned off because they don't want to support ApplePay (Best Buy).

What has been your experience with ApplePay now that it's been out a few months?

2. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

3. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

Apple Pay is a new use of technology and you are an early adapter. As with all early adapters you must wait a few years for the rest of the world to catch up with you. I have used AP a few dozen times but it is not widespread by any measure. Patience Grasshopper.

4. truskowr macrumors member

I agree that most of the stores that I frequent in my home town do not support Apple Pay. YET that is. Of the stores I frequent most, Save Mart has new card readers and their IT department is working on integrating it to work for Apple Pay. So they should be supporting it soon. The other store I go to a lot is Rite Aid, and we all know that story. There ARE stores that have it, but I don't go to very often like Mc Donalds, Subway, the Ford Dealer, etc.

In all, I have tried Apple Pay probably 10 different times and it has only worked once, at Peet's Coffee and Tea which is on my route to work.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

I use ApplePay pretty regularly. Walgreens and Home Depot are not uncommon stops (and neither was a change in my routine) plus the cafeteria at work takes it.

6. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

7. wiredup72 macrumors regular

wiredup72

I haven't found a single place that takes apple pay. time will tell.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It doesn't work with my bank(credit union actually) so I don't use it.

9. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

I think the biggest detriment with the Apple Pay tech is what you pointed out --lack of employee knowledge. Until most cashiers around the US have experience dealing with the technology and how to tell their company-specific POS systems the right thing to accept payment, it's pretty useless to me.

I think the concept of paying with your phone is so cool. I was very aware of the NFC tech that Google Wallet attempted to pioneer a couple of years ago, but I had never had real world experience with the tech until Apple Pay. My first experience with the tech was at Mcdonalds and it worked successfully. However, the next 2 times I tried to use it at Walgreens the cashier didn't know what to do and I was unable to make a successful payment using the tech.

Since that time, I haven't even tried to use it again. For me, I think it's pointless to cause confusion for the cashier and to have to explain what to do when I can just pull out my credit card. While the idea of your phone replacing the CC's in your wallet is awesome, until it's as painless as Apple has advertised it to be, it has little to no value to me. I have 5 CC's setup for Apple Pay but I've only used 1 and I probably won't use one again for a while.

10. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

I'll agree with the others about it being an early adopter issue and just how so many retailers and banks need to play catch-up. Besides that, there's the whole MCX thing and if that eventually falls apart, that may open the ability for more retailers to offer NFC for payments. That being said, I find myself using it quite a bit and here are some places I've tried:

• Meijer: I get a lot of groceries here - they have some good sales and typically pretty good quality produce and store brand items - I don't buy a whole lot of general merchandise there, but it is a better option than Walmart - I also like how copies of the receipts are kept in the app if you use their "rewards" program
    • Meijer gas station: We have a row of gas stations nearby and most are about the same price, so I've started using their gas station more because they have NFC readers on the pumps - again, their app gets these receipts, and their pumps ask if I want a receipt during the start of the transaction, so that saves a bit of time.
    • Home Depot: While not an official launch partner, the one near me has updated their terminals and they accept it. Haven't had any issues.
    • McDonald's, Subway, Firehouse Subs, Panera: While I certainly dine at other places, the former two are quick and cheap and close to work (but I've had a few isolated issues of a reader not working here or there). The latter two are a little more expensive, but tasty and I've never had issues with using Apple Pay.
    • Walgreens: I needed a knee support and was in a hurry and it was the closest thing - no issues, but the girl there was like, "Aren't you fancy?" afterwards.
    • Petco: I don't go here often, but I did do a bit of Christmas shopping here.
    • Babies R Us: I don't frequent this chain, but it came in handy when I was getting a gift card for a friend.
    • Vending: I tried it on a Coke machine at the mall one day for the heck of it - no issues.
    • Apple: I bought something at the Apple Store and used their little iPhone terminal to pay. I guess I could've used EasyPay, but they weren't busy and the lady offered to help.
    • Staples, Office Depot/Office Max, American Eagle: These are near me and accept it, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.
    • Within apps (Target, Groupon): I've used it a few times, but I'm waiting for a few more apps to get it that I use regularly. I'd love it if eBay or Amazon allowed it.

There's probably more locations that I haven't thought of, but there's quite a few options around me. I won't exclusively shop or dine at Apple Pay-compatible locations (some people have acted like that's what they plan to do), but if it's available, I'll use it.

11. newellj macrumors 601

Patience, patience. ;) Do you have any idea how long it took for credit cards to become nearly universally accepted?