Apple's 10-K 2005 Financial Details

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacCentral summarizes Apple's recent Form 10-K filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission which provides an overview of the company's over the past fiscal year.

Highlights include:

- Net Mac sales increased 27% year over year
- Average price of a Mac fell 7%
- 21% year over year growth in sales in higher education
- 11% growth in K-12
- 28 Million iPods sold with 248% revenue increase year over year
- 38 new brick and mortar retail stores in 2005
- Retail sales almost doubled to $2.4 billion
- Research and Development increased (up 9%)

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
looks good, I know that the retail stores are popping up everyewhere, which is pretty cool.
I espicially like the "Average price of a Mac fell 7%" and hope it continues, because if it does I betcha we get a lot more frustrated windows switchers.

(or maybe the new Mac mini at MWSF will just blow everyone away, so that they can't help switching, with price being no object).

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Super Dave said:
Does anyone know how much Apple does spend on R&D?

David:cool:

PS - Where's Lacero on the first post here, asleep? :p
She's sleeping. Still early over on the other side of the continent.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Can you beleive this? Apple is showing very steady growth in the last few years, and i know why. An aquaintance who runs the local office of a big-name investement company (and has a lot of my cash in his office!) has been an ardent PC user over the last 20 years. Never used a Mac, always thought they were toys. He always said that serious folk use PC's, and who's more serious than an investement counselor? One day he walked into an Apple store with his son who was picking up an iPod. While there they sat in the theater and watched a few demos of Tiger. About a half hour later he walked out with 5 grand worth of Mac. He called me one day becasue he didn't know how to do something, and admitted to me that the Mac is about the coolest thing he has EVER seen in computing. So cool, he said, he purchased a LOT of stock. But more important, spends ALL his time on the Mac now. He NEVER thought making movies, keeping and sending pictures and managing his music could be not only damned easy, but FUN to boot.
The word is out, folks.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
These results look great, and this year is only going to get better I feel. Mac sales will continue to soar, (especially with all those holding on for the MacIntels getting to buy), prices will fall and iPod sales will be even stronger.

I for one was surprised at the nano sales, they are absolutely flying off the shelves, even though I still felt the mini was an out and out better value iPod. Video content on the iPod and increased sales through iTMS will also continue to grow, which will keep their biggest sellers on the front pages, which will hopefully lead to more switchers.

It's all looking good.:)

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
I notice a glaring lack of any talk about profit. I don't have any idea what type of report this is, so it may not be supposed to talk about profit. But to a layman it seems suspicious at first glance.

mj_1903

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2003
Sydney, Australia
motulist said:
I notice a glaring lack of any talk about profit. I don't have any idea what type of report this is, so it may not be supposed to talk about profit. But to a layman it seems suspicious at first glance.
They don't have to talk about profits but they made a US$1.3 Billion profit last year off $14 Billion of revenue which isn't half shabby.

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
motulist said:
Profits were presented already at the Q4 Quarterly Earnings Call on October 11, 2005:

apple said:
For fiscal 2005, the Company generated revenue of $13.93 billion and a net profit of $1.335 billion, reflecting annual growth of 68 percent and 384 percent, respectively, and representing the highest annual revenue and net profit in the Company’s history.
I guess we can be impressed by those numbers.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
mj_1903 said:
They don't have to talk about profits but they made a US$1.3 Billion profit last year off $14 Billion of revenue which isn't half shabby.
With $8 billion in the bank (before they let go of $1.5 billion to secure long-term flash supplly).

mj_1903

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2003
Sydney, Australia
iGary said:
With $8 billion in the bank (before they let go of $1.5 billion to secure long-term flash supplly).
I highly doubt they have just paid over $1.5 billion, they have probably stated that they would pay that amount over a year (well 3 months at the rate they are going).

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
APPL plus 1028 Percent

Since the week after the start of the iTunes Music Store, apple shares rose 1028 Percent. :eek: :eek: :D

I still wonder if that's the reflection of the above mentioned brilliant work by the compagny or just another hype?

Attachments

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
runninmac said:
I like the 9% increase in R&D!:D
Not hard to figure out where that money is going. Its not going to be cheap recreating open firmware on X86 or the X86 equivalent of it. Its not cheap figuring out how to lock down your OS onto an X86 Mac. And I'd bet a few dollars that some of that R&D went into the G5 PowerBook blackhole.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
SiliconAddict said:
Not hard to figure out where that money is going. Its not going to be cheap recreating open firmware on X86 or the X86 equivalent of it. Its not cheap figuring out how to lock down your OS onto an X86 Mac. And I'd bet a few dollars that some of that R&D went into the G5 PowerBook blackhole.
You mean it's on it's way, and it's codenamed blackhole.:eek:

I guess if it ever did genuinely surface, that would be the best name for it.;)

WeBleed4Real

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2005
Apple Stock

Bought 46 shares of AAPL @ $52.76/share on Sept. 19 of this year.

Currently at $72.22/share, so a net gain of $895.10 since then.:)

Where do you think this is this is going to top out and should sell?

Also ran another test:

If I bought 100 shares of AAPL when I bought my Powerbook Titanium (June 2003) @ $19.20, it would currently be worth $7222.00!
I think there was a stock "split" somewhere there, so it might have been worth even more.

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
WeBleed4Real said:
I think there was a stock "split" somewhere there, so it might have been worth even more.
Yes, there was a split. So your powerbook equals $14,500.

And my 2 years old iMac is worth $26,000. :eek:

But I'd still buy it. :D

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
WeBleed4Real said:

Don't ask idiot me. I bought at 12 bucks and sold at about 37, thinking "It CAN'T go any higher. Well, it SPLIT since then, and climbed to where it is now. Even though my profit put my daughter in one year of a good college, I could have waited and she wouldn't HAVE to work.

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
WeBleed4Real said:

Also ran another test:

If I bought 100 shares of AAPL when I bought my Powerbook Titanium (June 2003) @ $19.20, it would currently be worth $7222.00!
I am wondering the same thing. Its really high right now ( I remember thinking it was pretty undervalued 4 years ago when the iPod came out), but this is getting crazy...

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Good to see prices going down and R&D going up!

I know my family contributed to thier growth this year - 2 iMacs,an iBook, two iPods, and a Shuffle in calendar year 2005. My parents are the only ones left, and they are coming around now too...at Thanksgiving my mother was saying "All my sons have Macs now, maybe I should too."

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Wow, these are all great numbers. And seeing an increase for R&D can only mean even better things as well - Apple spends so much on R&D as it is already!

I've bought and sold APPL a few times over the past few years, perhaps it's time to jump back in and make some more moolah.... ;) :cool: