Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's seventh-generation iPad mini is rumored to be launching this year, according to multiple sources. Keep reading to learn what the rumors say we can expect from Apple's small form factor tablet.

iPad-Mini-6-YouTubed-2.jpg

The current iPad mini was released in September 2021, and includes a 8.3-inch display, a USB-C port, a Touch ID power button, an A15 Bionic chip, 5G support on cellular models, a 12-megapixel rear camera, second-generation Apple Pencil support, and more.

Display Changes

According to one rumor, the seventh-generation ‌iPad mini‌'s screen assembly will be rotated to reduce the effect of "jelly scrolling" that some users complain about with the current model when viewed in portrait orientation.

ipad-mini-9.jpg

The term refers to a noticeable effect when scrolling vertically through text-based content like a webpage or document, where each line of text appears to tilt down towards the left of the screen as it passes by. The effect makes it look as though one side of the display is responding faster than the other when a finger drags to scroll the page.

Apple says the phenomenon is normal behavior for LCD iPads, but based on user feedback, it can appear more obvious and distracting when observed on the ‌‌‌iPad mini‌'s smaller screen‌‌. Apple reportedly plans to rotate the screen assembly to reduce the jelly scrolling effect in portrait orientation, but whether that will merely move the issue to landscape orientation is unknown.

Internal Upgrades

We are expecting the seventh-generation iPad mini to be updated with a faster chip, likely the A17 Pro or an A17 variant.

iphone-15-a16-bionic.jpg

If Apple goes with the A17 chip, it will put the ‌iPad mini‌ on par the iPhone 15 Pro models. The tablet will also likely get support for Wi-Fi 6E and Bluetooth 5.3, two of the latest standards that Apple has been adding to other recent product updates. Apple already added Wi-Fi 6E and Bluetooth 5.3 support to the latest iPad Pro, iPhone 15 Pro models, and most new Macs.

Camera Upgrades

Updated front and rear cameras are expected to be added to the iPad mini this year. The current ‌iPad mini‌ shares the same cameras found across all current iPad models: A 12-megapixel rear camera with an ƒ/1.8 aperture, and a 12-megapixel Ultra Wide front-facing camera with an ƒ/2.4 aperture.

ipad-mini-rear-camera.jpg

Given that it has been over 850 days since the current iPad mini was released, upgraded cameras are almost certain to be included in the seventh-generation model.

New Colors

New color options are on the way for the new iPad mini, according to one rumor. The current ‌iPad mini‌ is available in Space Gray, Starlight, Pink, and Purple.

ipad-mini-6-lineup.jpg

There's no information on what colors Apple could adopt, but it could potentially take inspiration from its ‌standard iPhone 15‌ models, which come in Black, Blue, Green, Yellow, and Pink color options.

What Not to Expect (Yet)

120Hz ProMotion

The new seventh-generation iPad mini will not feature a 120Hz ProMotion display, one leaker with alleged supply chain sources has claimed.

ipad-mini-display.jpg

Suggestions that Apple could conceivably adopt ProMotion for a next-generation ‌iPad mini‌ began to receive attention when the "jelly scrolling" phenomenon was identified shortly after the iPad mini 6 was released in September 2021.

OLED Display

After bringing OLED technology to the iPad Pro this year, Apple is rumored to be planning to expand OLED displays to the iPad mini in the future, but not for a couple of years yet. An iPad mini with an OLED display could be introduced in 2026, according to separate reports.

ipad-screen-colorful.jpg

Apple has apparently not yet fully committed to bringing the more advanced display technology to its mid-range tablets, and may be planning to review how the market responds to the first iPad Pro models that feature OLED displays, which are expected to launch as early as March 2024.

Foldable iPad Mini

Apple is rumored to be working on a foldable device that's around 7 to 8 inches in size and that could ultimately replace Apple's 8.3-inch iPad mini.

FoldPad-Redux-24-Magenta-and-Blue.jpg

Samsung Display and LG Display have reportedly already been sending samples of 7-inch and 8-inch foldable panels to Apple since last year, but Apple is said to be reviewing a launch timeframe for the device between 2026 and 2027.

Launch Date

Apple plans to update its entire iPad lineup throughout 2024, according to a November 2023 report by Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. However, while iPad Pro and iPad Air models are expected in the first half of the year, the release of a seventh-generation iPad mini could be a little further away... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: Apple's 2024 iPad Mini: All the Rumors So Far

Last edited:
Reactions: ikir

midwesthawkeye

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2013
I feel like the time has come for Apple to make an iPad Mini where you can make the iPad be your iPhone as well. I think the melding of the tablet functionality with the phone hardware (relying mostly on your Airpods to talk on the phone) might be a compelling device for some folks. I'm thinking of business professionals, and perhaps Baby Boomers in an old folks home (who would love the larger screen) who might want the portability of a tablet device along with the phone functions. Sort of one device to rule them all! I'd love to see something like this.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Bring on that Mini 7. Love, love, love my cellular Mini 6 which- with buds and VOIP app- doubles as my phone (a much less costly device that is slower to the "long in tooth" phase of iPhone and comes with a much less expensive, 5G cell plan). Works great for my telephony & texting needs... and all other apps are generally better on that bigger screen.

Because iPads seem to age better than iPhones, I look forward to replacing it with the Mini 9 or 10... so 7 is a step in that direction. My hop to this 6 was from Mini 2 after about 8 good years of the same kind of hybrid tablet + phone use. Roll out Mini 8 in about 2026, then 9 in about 2028-29. I'll likely replace in 2028-2030 for probably a few hundred less than the cheapest iPhone for sale in the same year. The big decision will be stretch this 6 for a Mini 10 launch or go with Mini 9.

Last edited:

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
I love my iPad Mini I use it at the gym to watch my podcasts and other content as I get my cardio in. I sometimes use it when I'd like a bigger screen than my iPhone. What I would really like on the next generation is 8 GB RAM because the current Mini suffers from App Refreshes and sometimes sluggish performance/app loads. The other thing that would be great is ProMotion, even if not 120 Hz, 90 Hz would be good. Also 128 GB as the base would be great as 64 GB is not enough anymore, especially if you download shows or movies or youtube videos.

Last edited:

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
I feel like the time has come for Apple to make an iPad Mini where you can make the iPad be your iPhone as well. I think the melding of the tablet functionality with the phone hardware (relying mostly on your Airpods to talk on the phone) might be a compelling device for some folks. I'm thinking of business professionals, and perhaps Baby Boomers in an old folks home who might want the portability of a tablet device along with the phone functions. Sort of one device to rule them all! I'd love to see something like this.
Unfortunately you are describing a scenario where Apple sells the consumer less product and a cheaper product as well which means less money for Apple. This is not something a business owner or CEO strives for.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Great article! Lots of good hints about both the upcoming mini 7 and beyond. And I appreciated how the author made it very clear these were all rumors and speculation. I know one should expect that on a rumor site, but it seems a lot of people forget about that and argue about a device before it's released.

My mini is my favorite iPad, it's very convenient for reading in bed. But I am surprised that the actual improvements may be minimal, or at least not really needed in my environment. And as I almost always have it in landscape mode, 'jellyroll' doesnt bother me at all. A tad worried if Apple rotates the screen as you describe that I will have to deal with it then. So perhaps this might be a generation to skip (for me). At least now I know what to watch for.

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
I have two desires for a new Mini: a softer shape for more comfortable hand-holding and a better screen.

The screen in particular felt like a slight downgrade from the Mini 5 somehow - the ones I have seen look a bit grainier with a bluer hue, plus I unfortunately am sensitive to the jelly scrolling.

The Mini 5 is my only iPad that gets daily use so very much in the market for an update.

Originalblez

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2021
The form factor has always been the best, and mitigating the jelly scrolling problem in portrait mode would be a great step. I returned my 6 because of it. The other thing I didn't like was that text scaling was weird on lots of apps, and the native scaling made for very small text. That might just be a me thing, though.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
For me as an iPad Mini 6 owner...

An upgrade to A16 would be underwhelming. A15 is pretty fast. A marginal increase wouldn't be worth it.
Jelly scroll doesn't bother me at the moment, so removing it is of no benefit to me.
Camera upgrade - meh, it's an iPad. Other than putting the selfie camera on the long side for Zoom calls, I don't see a need to improve the cameras.
Colours? I couldn't care less. It will be going in a case.

On the basis of those rumours, unless it also has more RAM and at least 128gigs storage at base level, I can't see myself upgrading to the 7.

MacFarmer

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
Nice, I'm waiting for a new mini! I would love to see a price drop though :D I know, I know.. wishful thinking..

Reactions: TMax

Wingdinger

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
Good lord, lack of ProMotion is ridiculous at this point. That’s the only thing keeping me from owning one. I’ve tried two Mini 6s, and couldn’t keep them. Every single screen I have is high refresh rate (phone, tablet, PCs) and trying to go back to 60hz is a nonstarter. It feels like 10 year old tech no matter the internals.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I have to wait even longer. Grrrr!

My iPad mini 5 is still going strong but I really want an upgrade so I can get the Apple Pencil 2 (I don't have any iPads that use it currently). If it is only going to be a spec bump and a slight screen adjustment, why the wait? I know I could just get the mini 6 but they upgrade these so infrequently, I really don't want to purchase one at the end of its life cycle.

Reactions: TMax

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
For me as an iPad Mini 6 owner...

An upgrade to A16 would be underwhelming. A15 is pretty fast. A marginal increase wouldn't be worth it.
Jelly scroll doesn't bother me at the moment, so removing it is of no benefit to me.
Camera upgrade - meh, it's an iPad. Other than putting the selfie camera on the long side for Zoom calls, I don't see a need to improve the cameras.
Colours? I couldn't care less. It will be going in a case.

On the basis of those rumours, unless it also has more RAM and at least 128gigs storage at base level, I can't see myself upgrading to the 7.
Pro motion, and yes ideally more ram or an M chip so it has more ram. The storage they will make you upsell so thats expected but id be happy with more storage of course . I wouldn't mind Face ID. I agree that based on the rumors this does feel very lack luster if one has a Mini 6.

When it comes to camera, id expect at least two new lenses on the back, basically to do spatial videos, I would be surprise if they give us a 3 lens set up like the iPhone pro.

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
The other thing I didn't like was that text scaling was weird on lots of apps, and the native scaling made for very small text. That might just be a me thing, though.
That might be why I perceived the screen quality to be slightly worse than the 5 - a subjective graininess due to scaling differences rather than an absolute LCD hardware issue.

Reactions: Originalblez

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Even if it is just the A16 and 6 GB ram I think I'll probably pick one up. My 5th gen Mini is showing it's age and I've contemplated getting a Mini 6 a few times, but while the A15 is plenty fast and the A16 isn't much of an upgrade, I think the 4 GB of RAM will limit it's useful life so in my case it's worth waiting for a Mini with more RAM. Doubling the RAM from my current iPad Mini sounds a lot better than 33% more.

HackMacDaddy

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2019
I feel like the time has come for Apple to make an iPad Mini where you can make the iPad be your iPhone as well. I think the melding of the tablet functionality with the phone hardware (relying mostly on your Airpods to talk on the phone) might be a compelling device for some folks. I'm thinking of business professionals, and perhaps Baby Boomers in an old folks home (who would love the larger screen) who might want the portability of a tablet device along with the phone functions. Sort of one device to rule them all! I'd love to see something like this.
I had an iPad Mini „competitor“ Android tablet many many years ago with this functionality and it was a really cool feature. It was especially great in the car. Kinda like Android Auto/ Carplay before it even existed 🤣 but the overall performance and Android OS weren‘t great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.