Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple's 5th Avenue Store to Close for iPhone 3G Launch Preparation

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple's flagship Fifth Avenue retail store in Manhattan, normally open 24 hours a day, will be closed from midnight until 8:00 a.m. on July 11th in order to prepare for the iPhone 3G launch.

To get ready for the iPhone 3G launch, we will be closing at midnight on July 10 and will re-open at 8 a.m. on July 11.

The store has closed only a handful of times since its opening in May 2006, with the most recent closing occurring in late May, ostensibly for the filming of Apple's iPhone 3G commercial. One commercial, entitled Hallway, is currentlyairing on U.S. television in anticipation of Friday's product launch, although it has not been confirmed that the closure was related to the filming of this commercial or some other yet-to-be-seen commercial.

Article Link

avigalante

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2007
New York City
Interesting; too bad I won't be going there as there is an AT&T store right within the plaza located at my workplace. That said, I'd absolutely love to go to 5th Ave!

Comment

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
where did my post go?

Do they really need 8 hours? wow

also are they setting up allot of iPhone activation centers?

Comment

brianbobcat

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2003
Illinois
The store has closed only a handful of times since its opening in May 2006, with the most recent closing occurring in late May for filming of Apple's iPhone 3G commercial. The commerical is currently airing on U.S. television in anticipation of Friday's product launch.

The store closed for unrelated filming NOT the ad. Check out this post at IFO Apple Store for why the ad did NOT take place at 5th ave: http://www.ifoapplestore.com/db/2008/06/09/was-fifth-avenue-backdrop-for-iphone/

-Brian

Comment

MacGeek7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2007
where did my post go?

Do they really need 8 hours? wow

also are they setting up allot of iPhone activation centers?

Better safe then sorry....can you imagine the outrage if 8 am rolled around and they were still scrambling to get everything ready?

Comment

avigalante

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2007
New York City
8 hours is a little excesive. I haven't heard of any AT&T stores doing a work day's worth of prep to sell the phone.:apple:

I wouldn't expect anything less as this is a flagship store (not only is it a flagship store - it's Apple iconic, symbolic store); so, every bit of preparation is going to be fine tuned before launch. Also, keep in mind that there will be lots of glitz and glamour at the 5th Ave store - that area screams for that type of publicity.

To cover that much ground, I think 8 hours is a reasonable amount of time. I'm sure they're also prepping for the mass hoards of people that will enter that day (it's always a mad house, I can't imagine what it's like on iDay).

Comment

marykay9507

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
8 hours is a little excesive. I haven't heard of any AT&T stores doing a work day's worth of prep to sell the phone.:apple:

That's because at & t will probably just have a small display-- apple will most likely have an entire section of the store revamped for the iPhone...so they will have to remove mucho product and set up and activate mucho product as well.

Comment

illjazz

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2008
Anyone know of a site that's keeping track of the line at the 5th Ave store? Perhaps with pictures? Maybe that's a crazy question.. but considering I'm planning on getting in that damn line late Thursday night/early Friday morning, I wouldn't mind being able to keep an eye on that line.

Comment

gusapple

macrumors 6502a
The store closed for unrelated filming NOT the ad. Check out this post at IFO Apple Store for why the ad did NOT take place at 5th ave: http://www.ifoapplestore.com/db/2008/06/09/was-fifth-avenue-backdrop-for-iphone/

-Brian

There are arguments on both sides. Using the Quicktime VR of the Store, i found that the commercial has a lot of Macs, running OS X, where they should not be. For example, take a look at the VR picture. The green part shows where Macs should be and red shows where the iPhone should be.

However, the purple shows that there is an exit in the exact place that the employees enter. Also the blue shows that the Genius Bar is the same, but in a different location. Not sure if any of this is right, though.

Also, your source says it is the Apple Store, 5h Avenue.

Attachments

• qtvrofnewyork.jpg
    qtvrofnewyork.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 115
Comment

illjazz

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2008
That was a bit nutty, I must admit. I'll just go to the cube myself tomorrow night at around 7:30pm and take my own pictures. Hopefully it won't be too bad later that night. God that's gonna be a long wait :/

Comment

wadejc85

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
PA
Anyone know of a site that's keeping track of the line at the 5th Ave store? Perhaps with pictures? Maybe that's a crazy question.. but considering I'm planning on getting in that damn line late Thursday night/early Friday morning, I wouldn't mind being able to keep an eye on that line.

Considering people are already in queue, I'd get in line earlier rather than later! Good luck!!

Comment

murf'n'surf

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2007
I'm sure that the 8 hours off has to do with allowing staff to be off so that come 8AM they can have a VERY large staff for the entire day and into the night if needed.

Comment

mdodd

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2007
Montclair, NJ
Hey guys, we at theiLife.com are liveblogging from the line at the 5th Ave Store! If you would like to see up to minute coverage, pictures and videos from the line and launch, keep posted to theiLife.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.