Apples '95

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by olindacat, Jul 8, 2013.

1. olindacat macrumors member

olindacat

I'm one of the old guard Apple users from the beginning. It is interesting to see and read so many hopeful threads where customers (myself included) are praying for this bug or that innovation to finally make life better and all good.

The OS changes (iOS and Mac OS), that have rolled out over the past five years, stink. Go ahead fanboys, let me have it.

My wife and I couldn't be bigger fans of Apple, but our love of everythign Mac has waned as Tim Cook has become the new Bill Gates and this new iOS iteration is just another form of planned obsolescence only coming to us from the good people at Apple, who all think they are cool but aren't.

(Sorry, I know it is sounding very mean-spirited but I must confess I have tech range lately and I attribute 95% of it to my hard-earned cash investments in Cook, his hordes of teams, and iOS/Mac OS products. I feel, given that I am as loyal and dedicated a customer as anyone else, that I have the right to bitch.)

Has anyone had an issue with their Apple ID? How about trying to get Apps to do anything worthwhile? Has anyone with any real spreadsheet experience tried that POS Numbers? I bought it, tried it, and lost money bc it is crap!

How many here think the new iOS looks like Android? It does! Blue and modern and very Microsoft too!

The old keep it simple stupid MO that made Mac the best darn American innovation to come along in decades is now more complex, more buggy, and more like what Windows is: a perpetual confidence game where you are always hoping the newest version will finally work, and it doesn't.

The purpose of this rant is to vent. It is not to upset all of Apples legions of loyal PR posters here. I am just sick of everybody acting like 'it's all good' when it isn't!

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

You know how you know if it's all good or not? You look at the competition.

Blackberry: Missed quarterly earnings target and the downward spiral continues.

Windows phone: who? does anyone actually own one of these?

Samsung: Missed quarterly earnings target.

Continues to put out 800 different models of smartphone. (The S4 Active? Where can I get the S4 couch-potato that is potato chip grease resistant?).

Google: The last Nexus phone Google has released doesn't even have 4G/LTE radios in it.

I'll stick with Apple. They may not "Wow me" like they did in 2007-2008 but at least the quality and user experience is still there.

4. olindacat thread starter macrumors member

olindacat

Here comes the avalanche......

5. TheNinjaJedi macrumors regular

TheNinjaJedi

Why would you post your opinion and then troll people who disagree with you?

I can understand some of your points, I still think SL was the best OSX in a while.

6. nalk7 macrumors regular

Agreed, ML was the last real cat out of apple. Fear no though, Mavericks is looking really good from the developer previews.

Cheers

7. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

I find it amusing that the OP thinks using Apple since 1995 makes him an old guard Apple user "from the beginning."

I got my first Apple Computer in 1979....an Apple II Plus. :)

I too haven't been overly impressed with Apple lately, but I also haven't found anything better. In fact, I recently traded in my HTC Thunderbolt for an iPhone 5 and added an ATV, a Pioneer AirPlay speaker and AirPlay receiver to my ever-growing Apple ecosystem. Everything just works.

I do miss Android toggles and widgets, and the ability to do simultaneous voice/data on my iPhone 5 (I'm on Verizon), but other than that I'm pretty happy.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Pretty much how I feel. I just wanted to point out to the OP that the competition hasn't really done anything amazing either so there aren't going to be heaps of people jumping ship like some of these doomsayers are predicting.

9. martinocando macrumors regular

martinocando

I truly believe Apple is one of the most criticized companies in America. Yet, everyone wants one. Now, why is that?

Does it makes everything good? far from it. The Apple Newton was a joke of a PDA, but it was one of the first. With completely unusable writing recognition and all, but they took the first steps.

Palms and iPaqs had touchscreen, or, may I call it by their real name: stylus screens. Trying to do something with your fingers was a recipe for failure. Apple brought the first really responsive and usable keyboardless device.

Every smartphone (sans BB) is an iPhone wannabe. Only a few succeed.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Agreed. I have lots of problems with iOS 7 in terms of usability, but looking over at Android and Win8, I don't see anything better.

11. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

I have zero doubt that you truly are a big Apple fan. Your concerns are valid... but so are the responses that you're getting. So please, at least consider what other people are saying even if you still have the same sentiments after reading it.

12. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I totally agree, MAC os and iOS is crap. Ever since Cook took over Steve Job's legacy is ruined. One day back in '94 I said Bill Gates will come to Apple's system of eco and ruin everything. What do you think? I am not the hugest fan but I am the best fan. Every time Apple plays fussball against England I turn a fan into. Im throwing away all my apple devices cause they are terrible. Except Ill keep my I5, my apple tv, my mac, and my iPad. All the rest is going straight in the garbage box.

13. olindacat thread starter macrumors member

olindacat

Would you believe I have no idea what troll means? I'm sorry if I trolled him. I was actually making an attempt at humor. :confused:

14. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

15. olindacat thread starter macrumors member

olindacat

I remember the II Plus. Where do you get that I have only used Apple since 1995? My first was a Classic, which I got in '84, a year after I bought the XT for my office (I was a bookkeeper for a magazine back then and was automating their manual one-write system).

----------

I'm reading every single post. From my iMac 27", with my iPhone 5 plugged in....

----------

That :D was hilarious. Just the kind of reply I was hoping for. Nobody drinks the Kool Aid as much as me, or hopes Apple won't be the beacon of light I want it to be. A little vent every now and then never hurt anybody. And, of course, there is no comp out there for Apple. We all know that.

----------

Sorry, but you are wrong on that one. I thought it was a derogatory but couldn't remember and was too busy goofing off here to Google. Mahalo for the link. But you are wrong in calling me a troll. I was taking a stab at humor.

16. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

My bad. I assumed it from your thread title, "Apples '95". But the Classic came out in 1990, not 1984.

17. olindacat thread starter macrumors member

olindacat

Cmpact. Sorry. I always called it a classic.

----------

no HD, just floppy swaps. still had a green screen (i think).

18. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

Yes.

19. TheNinjaJedi macrumors regular

TheNinjaJedi

My apologizes.

20. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I do. Quite popular over here to be honest, although not as popular as the iPhone, I do see plenty people with Nokia Lumias. Windows Phone 8 is great OS, certainly a worthy competitor to both iOS and Android.

Anyway, threads like this are cancer. Just debate starters for the endless debate of which damn smartphone or company is best. If you ask me, they're all as bad as each other, people need to get over the fact that preferences and opinions differ and the OP probably needs to keep their rants to themselves or partner at bedtime.

21. PrometheusGeek macrumors regular

So the whole point of the OP's the thread here is to whine, right? Nothing constructive or discussion worthy. Just a bitch rant. Nice. Pitch a fit and then criticize people who disagree, and say "Stop being so judgmental, I was just being funny!" This is such a tiresome MO, and you're no long-time Apple fan. Your that dude who wanders into an Apple store for the sole purpose of sneering at the products in your open-source, Windows, Android sanctimonious contempt. Whatever.

Numbers was released under Jobs' watch, not Cook's. it sells really, really well, in both its full and mobile versions. It works largely the same as Excel, save for the addition of easily implemented visual enhancements. It only cost you $19 for the full version, compared to the higher price of Excel. Stop whining about lost $, it's silly and petty.

All the OS changes that you dislike, save for iOS 7's design, were released under Jobs, not Cook. Why is it Cook's fault? And as for your long-term stock value, you do realize that even though AAPL has lost a bunch from that $700 mark it hit, it's still worth more today - under Cook's tenure - than it ever was under Jobs, right? :rolleyes:

22. fivedots macrumors 6502a

95 what? Windows 95? I still have no clue what we are talking about.

Stop trying to love a corporation and just buy the products you enjoy using. Your life will be better for it. And stop with the hyperbole and uninformed Windows trashing.

23. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Must be a European thing. Windows phones are pretty darn scarce around here.

24. olindacat thread starter macrumors member

olindacat

Sorry to delay in responding. You make some good points, at least from your own mind-bending perspective. I agree with none of it, but YMMV elsewhere. Have a great day, and don't let your anger get out of control, you might burst a vein....

----------

"Cancer..." wow! Talk about harsh! I think you've been watching too much Fox dude.

----------

Giving advice on how to live life? Are you God or something? Windows trashing? I assure you Windows is planned-obsolescence incarnate and if you are wanting to defend that platform bless you, but please, keep your petty advice to yourself.

----------

The remark about ranting at my wife is uncalled for.

25. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

This whole thread is uncalled for. What is your point? You're old and unimpressed? Bravo.