Apple's ad with flash? (again)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Hugh, May 11, 2010.

1. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Wasn't sure where to post this, so I posted it here.

Well it looks like Apple's marketing messed up again.

I just got my MacWorld today and the back of it has a full page ad of the iPad. Showing the New Your Times and places where flash would be (there is a flash video and a flash ad. There is no box saying plugin needed to view.

Now we all know that flash isn't going to happen on the iPad. But you would think after making the mistake once they would learn from it, and not do it again.

Most likely nothing will happen because of the ad. Come on how many people are going to know those areas need flash, other then us?

Hugh

2. diabolic macrumors 68000

Have you tried going to the site using your iPad? You don't see any flash notifications at all. No blank boxes, no blue legos. Guess they have an iPad version.

EDIT: I dug out my MacWorld and looked. Where is the Flash ad and video? If I go to the site on my iPad the ad above the market info isn't Flash, and the video section down the page on the left is HTML5 not Flash. And on the current site, you get the ads in the top corners on the iPad.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's probably just an old version of the ad that either hasn't been updated or hasn't been sent to Macworld to replace the old one.

...although that raises the question of why they had it displaying something with Flash content in the first place...

4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

As stated above, the NYT has an HTML 5 version of their main Web site now.

5. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

6. Battlestar macrumors 6502

7. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

The funny thing about the flash fracas is that apple has already won.

For every site that requires flash, ten others are, or have recoded in HTML5+h.264

Win for open web standards and a win for idevice users.