Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In July 2020, Apple introduced a new all-in-one gift card in the United States that combines its previously separate Apple Store and iTunes gift cards into one, and the combined gift card is now available in Canada and Australia as well.

apple-gift-card-new.jpeg

The new Apple Gift Card can be applied towards "everything Apple," including purchases of Apple products and accessories, App Store apps, iTunes Store content like TV shows and movies, services like Apple Music and Apple Arcade, iCloud+ plans, and more. The gift card is available on Apple's website in digital and physical versions, with the physical card sent by mail including a collectible Apple logo sticker available in five designs.

The gift card's availability in Canada was alerted to us by MacRumors reader Basic Apple Guy, while 9to5Mac noticed Australia was added too. Apple is no longer selling separate Apple Store and iTunes gift cards in these countries following the transition.

Apple Store and iTunes gift cards remain available in many other countries for now.

Article Link: Apple's All-in-One Gift Card Now Available in Canada and Australia

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Are they going to combine current iTunes gift cards so you can use them for Apple products or is this just for new cards?

edit: I'll answer that myself, I checked in the store and added an iMac and my iTunes balance was available to use! Pretty cool considering i got these at Costco for like 20% off

R.T.J.

Suspended
Jun 3, 2021
Mark my words... Romero Britto is going to suit for the one on the right. It has happened before with Apple designs.

large.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: DeepIn2U

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Are they going to combine current iTunes gift cards so you can use them for Apple products or is this just for new cards?

My gift card balance, is now just an Apple Account balance of the same amount so it looks like the switch is retroactive.

Reactions: philryan

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Learn to open me, click on the ways
Now, today, tomorrow and always
My only weakness is an email crime
My only weakness is- well, never mind, never mind, oh

Spam-scammers of the world
Unite and take over
Spam-scammers of the world
Hand it over, hand it over, hand it over

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Can these be used to pay Apple Card balances? I want to know because I'd like to upgrade to an M1, but that would mean trading in my 16", but I need to keep the 16" until the M1 shows up...

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Now, for tons of anime games lovers, if Apple One card comes to Japan, does that mean iTunes gift card account balance recharge is no longer an option? If that’s the case, that really sucks.

What I see this is besides mere “unifying balances”, it is no longer possible to purchase fixed value cards from somewhere and then use them to recharge Apple ID account with balance.

Japan is not really welcoming the purchase of stuff using international bank card. This doesn’t look good…

Last edited:

cknibbs

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
I really hope this isn’t the end of those Costco discounts ? that 20% off helped with so many subscriptions.

Reactions: frenzal

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Damn, we saw this coming, should have stocked up on iTunes GC at a discount given they shifted those balances to general apple credit (that can be used towards hardware).
Damn! Missed out on that. Gotta call Apple Support on these AppleTV credits - I get the email i've received the credit yet it's NEVER applied.

Moreover I'm hoping I can purchase an Apple Gift card for digital and email it to my sister who lives in the USA (snowbird) for her to use, even if its in CAN funds will it auto apply for USA prices/purchases - if she has a Canadian or USA iCloud account?

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005
I really hope this isn’t the end of those Costco discounts ? that 20% off helped with so many subscriptions.
I wonder if this is why they were removed from Costco. Since they are no longer "a thing" and to make room for the new gift cards.

Reactions: profets

svale

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2009
This offers absolutely no benefit if you're a legacy user with two different Apple IDs. It's stupid how Apple still don't let you merge the two accounts together.

Reactions: sydneysider88

SegNerd

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2020
Can these be used to pay Apple Card balances? I want to know because I'd like to upgrade to an M1, but that would mean trading in my 16", but I need to keep the 16" until the M1 shows up...
My understanding is that Apple's trade-in program allows you to order a new device, wait for it to arrive, and then ship your old one back for a credit/refund.

However, I would advise against doing this, because Phobio is a complete sham, and you might never get your money.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
With the current exchange rates (US/AU dollar and US/AU App Store rate) purchasing apps from the App Store with a 15% discount is about the same as purchasing from the developer/vendor. Removing the 15%, tips the cost equation away from the App Store towards purchase from developer.

trainwrecka

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2007
Earth
This is sweet as!
I always thought it was ‘un-Apple’ to have seperate gift cards.
Me too... then I realized how much it hurt the customer. You can NEVER get Apple gift cards at a discount, because Apple products are tightly controlled when it comes to sales/prices.

You could always get iTunes gift cards at discounts, and big discounts in the winter sales. If you bought an iTunes card at 25% off, then bought a year of Disney Plus through an Apple device, you are getting a fantastic bit of savings.

Now that it is one gift card, that never happens. I stopped buying them, when it was the only way I used to.

Reactions: freedomlinux

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
My understanding is that Apple's trade-in program allows you to order a new device, wait for it to arrive, and then ship your old one back for a credit/refund.

However, I would advise against doing this, because Phobio is a complete sham, and you might never get your money.
Curious to hear more about this because I'm due to trade in my current iMac 5K once my m1 iMac arrives next month. Is Phobio the company who evaluates the trade-in?

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada

Not sure if this answers your questions...if trade-ins can be converted to Apple Cash then it looks possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.