Apple's Aluminum Extended Wired Keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Velin, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

It's my favorite keyboard of all time. Best keyboard I have ever used.

The "flatness" of the keyboard, coupled with the minimalist approach to the raised keys, makes it really fast for touch typists. Solid aluminum construction is a bonus. The raised part of the keyboard, in the back housing the USB ports, provides just enough of an angle to make typing comfortable from a desk.

I hope they never change the fundamental design and layout of this keyboard. If it is updated, I hope the revisions are minimal, i.e. backlighting the keys or improving the keyboard's life.

2. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The only thing I can see Apple doing with they keyboard now is completely cutting off the round part and making it as thin as a USB port. That would mean that there would have to be a built in battery that lasts three or four months between three hour USB charges.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

But what does that have to do with the wired keyboard?

Backlighting would be a huge improvement. I don't always type with the lights on, and it's a pain to try to read the keys using the light from the monitor. Maybe have an ambient light sensor so that backlighting wouldn't be on constantly, with the options to vary intensity and to disable it completely for those that don't like it?

5. hickster macrumors newbie

Yes! Definitely backlighting.
    I wouldn't mind the USB ports facing to the back (at least one additional). They are a bit of a pain to access for things like thumb drives.
    hickster

6. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

+1 for backlighting.

7. Lloyd Christmas macrumors regular

+2 for backlighting and what happened to the move to black keys. Lloyd

8. RichardI macrumors 6502a

RichardI

I couldn't agree more with the OP. I'm one of those odd people who searched out the smallest, thinnest keyboard I could find when I had a PC. But, it had to have a numbers pad. This aluminum keyboard is a perfect blending of art and engineering, IMHO. I wish I had gotten a BlueTooth one when they were still available. I'm not sure how I would react to not having a numbers pad. I have had one right from the start. At any rate, this wired keyboard gets a 9/10 from me - if it was wireless it would get a 10!

Rich :cool:

9. ttopp macrumors regular

i like both the usb move and back lighting.

the usb ports are ok but you can only plug in small usb connectors.

i cant plug in my usb headset due to the plastic around the usb connector being thick. my ipod cable is fine though lol

10. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

I wish they also made it in black as well. It would also like it if the keys had just a little bit more of a dish to them. It seems that my MBP keyboard's keys had that. I bought an Apple keyboard for use with my computer at work (yes it is a Windows XP machine) and have gotten so use to typing on a Chick-let style keyboard that every time I use another keyboard it feels like I am typing for the first time again. I needed the numeric keypad because I enter a lot of numbers as data.

11. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Another vote for backlighting...black keys would be awesome too...