Apple's Ambient Light Sensors

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jpbl68, Aug 30, 2009.

1. jpbl68 macrumors member

I don't understand how these work. Both my Macbook and my iPod Touch use ambient light sensors to auto-adjust the brightness of their respective screens. But they seem to make the screen brighter in dark conditions and dimmer in bright conditions. Shouldn't it be the other way around? When I have these sensors turned on the image looks dull and washed out in well lit rooms but uncomfortably bright in dark rooms. Surely the display needs to be brighter in well lit conditions so it can compete with the ambient light. Am I missing something?

2. tabasco70 macrumors 6502

Strange. When the ambient light sensor detects that the surroundings are dark, the screen becomes dim. When it detects that the surroundings aren't dark, (light, bright, normal) then the screen brightens up.

This is how it should work, and the way it works on mine. (and the machines in the stores)

Try putting your hand against the ambient light sensor (by the iSight) during the day, when it's not dark, and see if the screen becomes dimmer.

3. jpbl68 thread starter macrumors member

I just turned the sensor on on my Macbook, for the first time in about 6 months, and it seems to be working properly now. But I saw no difference in screen brightness on my iPod when I tested out the sensor. It's 2nd hand so in this case it may be a faulty sensor.

4. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

The auto-brightness setting may also be turned off or set very low.