Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's annual Back to School promotion for students will begin this week in the U.S., according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. In a tweet today, he said the promotion will likely start on Tuesday, after new Macs are announced at WWDC on Monday.

2022-back-to-school-apple-feature.jpg

Last year's promotion offered a free Apple gift card worth up to $150 with the purchase of an eligible Mac or iPad, while free AirPods were offered in 2021. The free item is in addition to Apple's standard educational discounts, with students already able to receive between 5% and 10% off most Macs, iPads, and Apple displays.

The promotion is typically available to students attending or accepted to a college or university, faculty and staff at higher-education institutions, parents purchasing on behalf of an eligible student, employees of a K-12 institution, and select others.

The offer will likely launch in Canada at the same time as in the U.S., followed by European and Asian countries a few weeks later.

Apple plans to announce a larger 15-inch MacBook Air with the M2 chip during its WWDC keynote on Monday, according to Gurman. He also indicated that Apple is testing what appears to be new Mac Studio models with M2 Max and M2 Ultra chips.

Article Link: Apple's Annual Back to School Promotion Expected to Begin This Week Following New Macs

Last edited:

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
I still think this is a scam ha. I did it last year and all it did was give me a month installment for the gift card. Maybe I’m a big dummy though.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
I still think this is a scam ha. I did it last year and all it did was give me a month installment for the gift card. Maybe I’m a big dummy though.
The way it works is that you pay for the gift card (at its usual price) and the Mac (at a discounted price), which is why you got the installment for the gift card. When you add it up you are essentially getting the gift card free. This is probably to make it easier to do returns when someone decide they don't like the Mac but already spent the gift card.

Last edited:

sleven

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
I would love to see it be a little more, but I suppose that’s about the cost of the AirPods. The freedom to buy anything is nice but almost guarantees an extra spend beyond the GC amount.

Reactions: coachgq

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
It's a lot earlier than usual right? Usually July or August.
Past start dates for their back-to-school promo

2022 = June 24
2021 = June 17
2020 = June 15
2019 = July 9
2018 = July 12
2017 = July 12
2016 = June 2
2015 = July 23
2014 = July 1
2013 = July 2
2012 = June 11
2011 = June 16
2010 = May 25
2009 = May 27
2008 = June 3
2007 = June 5

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I am a student of life. Does that count?
The promotion is typically available to students attending or accepted to a college or university, faculty and staff at higher-education institutions, parents purchasing on behalf of an eligible student, employees of a K-12 institution, and select others.
Who are the select others?

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
I liked it when they gave AirPods. You could upgrade to the Pro’s for $90.
Seems like to me the gift card is much better than any specific item. You can still redeem them for AirPods or for anything in Apple Stores, and your choices aren't limited to the value of that gift card.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I was planning to dye my hair blue, wear an oversized xxxl white t-shirt with baggy pants with a skate board and just say ‘dude!’ to get it. Too much?
Ok in what century did you guys last go to school? I mean I remember when those oversized clothes were the shock and horror of everyone's grandma, but that happened 40 years ago.

Last edited:

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
The school year hasn’t even ended yet! It’s a little early for “back to school” sales.
I'm actually glad they're doing this early. Kids buying a whole new computer in the busy week before semester starts, and then showing up with an unfamiliar computer with all new apps they haven't configured or gotten used to, with all new incompatibilities Apple throws into the mix every year has caused a miserable heap of chaos for the first few weeks every year. I'd much rather the students get their new machines now and have the summer to get used to them, configure them, and find out what projects they can no longer open & discover whatever data they lost & have the chance to rebuild it so they don't show up empty handed & unable to work. It's still going to happen, because that's when most parents shop, but any kids that take advantage of this early are going to be much better off.

Reactions: orbital~debris

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
People are just getting out of school. It's like Christmas now. You have to be the first. In a few years we will have back to school sales in January.

JimmyG

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2019
Hudson Valley NY
The last thing any school district, college, university, library or place of business wants is a desktop computer that uses more electricity and power outlets than a stand-alone device such as the iMac provides. Time for Tim Cook and team to finally address their forestalling of Apple Silicon XDR iMacs, I'll be looking forward to a new 28" and 32" XDR models in time for next semester!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.