Apple's apparent new TV streaming service

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by JoshMKB24, Mar 17, 2015.

1. JoshMKB24 macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

Well it appears that there will be some sort of streaming service available. If all the regular channels plus like ESPN, TNT, NBA TV, NFL Network, and a few assorted others I would be on board. Sucks that NBC is holding out...........dunno if I'll be able to do it with no Sunday Night Football.

Do you think the Apple TV will change much? I have 4 TVs in my house and currently only 2 of them have Apple TVs but they all have satellite boxes. I was thinking of buying 2 of the Apple TVs now that they are 69 bucks. However I could easily wait if the internals of a new one in June with this streaming service would be available. How much if at all will the actual box change?

2. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

We know nothing of what any potential new ATV unit will entail. We can guess, but there's no reliable information out there that Apple is even considering a new model in our lifetimes. (I mean, of course they are, but we've been waiting a few years for ATV 4 and still no sign of a new one.)

I would hope that a major overhaul of content like this would also come with a UI redesign, but I fear that at least in the near-term, we'd just get another bunch of "channels" on the main page.

3. JoshMKB24 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking and why I was thinking of going out and picking up 2 more now for 69 bucks. I guess my fear is that there will be a new re-design to accomodate the channels and a new UI and that with these live streaming services the box itself is going to go up in price to say like 150ish which isn't bad, but that would be a waste then to get 2 more of the current model which I don't really need.

4. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Apple's apparent new TV streaming service? Please provide a link to what you are referring to?

5. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

If you need them now, get them. If you don't, not much point in not waiting.

6. mic j macrumors 68030

I haven't read the WSJ article, but from what I have read (here and other sites), I would expect this to me nothing more that a new icon on the current aTV page, with that icon taking you the "bundled" feeds. I see no real reason to update the aTV box itself for that sort of change. And one possible reason for lowering the price of the aTV3 is to generate additional interest/placements in advance of that bundle (and HBO Now) being offered.

And of course, keep in mind, that the WSJ article could be totally off base. It's happened before.

7. JoshMKB24 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

Yeah, I hear you there.........sort of like the actual TV we've been promised for years :D I'm not sure if all the news outlets were just going off the WSJ article, but it did seem like last night a bunch of news outlets picked it up. Generally like with the whole idea of a car that has been floating around I wouldn't pay much attention to that, but it seemed like there was a fairly good idea of what type of content would be on there as well as what wouldn't be unfortunately. It is all speculation until there is an official announcement, but it does seem like something is coming together.

8. mic j macrumors 68030

About 3 years ago, the WSJ also said that Apple was going to produce a full fledge tv set. That seems to have "vaporized". So I am not sure how much faith I would put in a WSJ prediction. It's fun to talk about though!

What did V. Putin just say..."Life would be boring with gossip." (or something to that effect.

9. Medusa3 macrumors member

Medusa3

Is there any definitive list of the 25 channel listing?

10. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

There's no definitive evidence that it's even going to happen yet.

11. brendu macrumors 68020

If Apple can secure deals with all those other major partners, then who the hell cares about NBC? Almost everywhere can get a solid signal for NBC using a cheap antenna. If that was the only channel you needed and only sometimes that seems like a good enough solution.

12. JoshMKB24 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

Yeah, NBC for SNF would be a big one..........I was thinking more of the family of networks they have. USA and NBCSN are the 2 that come to mind for me. I love watching Formula 1 and at some point I'll want to watch the summer Olympics. I know basketball would likely be on NBC but a lot of the other stuff that is interesting would probably be on the family of networks.

Again, its all speculative at this point...........so I know nothing is set in stone and who knows if this will really happen, I'm sure in the end they'll work something out.

13. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

Everything I've seen on the new Apple Streaming TV service says that it is for any iOS device. Why wouldn't they want to offer it for OS-X ? I'd like to use it in the office on my iMac.

14. quamdar macrumors newbie

I know it is just rumors and speculation now but hard pass at $30-40 for cable channels and no NBC.

At that price I can either keep my regular cable or get Netflix, Amazon Prime, and HBOGo to pair with OTA.

15. whoiare macrumors regular

i dont see why people are going on and on about this so called streaming service apple will provide..It makes NO SENSE To me whatsoever.....this service seems to only really serve people who do NOT have a tv in their house...and solely want to stream off an Idevice. This isnt some "cracked it" breakthrough.. To me, all this does is replace your current TV provider...so instead of paying charter/comcast/whomever.. you now pay apple...BIG FRIGGEN DEAL. so instead of having internet and TV bundled...i now will pay a higher price for internet alone and then a smaller price for less channels. how does this solve anything?

the only people i see this making sense for is some college kid who is using the schools internet that blocks torrents and who cant afford a tv but has an ipad and wants to watch big bang theory when it airs....

between hulu and netflix i dont see how any type of bundling/a la carte package at any price higher than $9 a month is going to make any type of breakthrough.

the apple tv needs:
    1. AC wireless and maybe bundled with an airport express
    2. a unified search/interface where one can search for one item and it pulls from every app that has that certain item - ie if i search SNL, my results include hulu, netflix, the yahoo app, the nbc app, any shows i have in itunes, etc
    3. clean up of how it sorts movies/tv shows etc

thats really it....4K yea maybe...faster processor - sure...more ram...if i need it...a new remote...would be nice...but really what else does it REALLY need?

an app store and controller to play games....really? would it be cool...sure...but gamers fit into 2 categories for me...serious gamers - would already have a PS4/Xbox....casual gamers - would have a wii and its probably collecting dust just like mine is after the novelty wears off...

16. mic j macrumors 68030

I think people are excited because they are starting to see cracks in the current system and might actually have a choice in the future about how they get their content. Apple did a pretty good job of disrupting the music system and people are hopeful they will do something similar the the tv/movie system.

I agree with your stated need for unified search. That would be big. But I really don't see the need for "ac" unless you are possibly streaming full size 4K files. Right now, my movies start very quickly just using "n".

What I would like to see is the ability for the aTV to run it's own iTunes and become independent of streaming from my Mac. Right now, I have a dedicated old MacBook just running iTunes with a movie library close to the aTV. My other Macs are upstairs and the wifi transmission to the aTV (in the basement) tend to be slow. I would be very happy if the aTV would just do it all.

17. whoiare macrumors regular

Apple disrupted the music industry by making everything digital...by allowing preview of tracks...and allowing people to buy individual tracks at will instead of spending money on a full CD. Right now they have something similar in place for TV and movies...you can buy by episode...rent movies...etc and this hasnt disrupted anything. This applies to your itunes server issue. Right now...if you used all of apple services...that is itunes match, bought tv and movies directly from itunes, had all your pics on icloud..then you literally wouldnt need itunes on a mac...at all.

There is no crack in the system until apple offers everything...that is both Internet and TV...because the cable company still owns the internet lines. if everyone starts streaming TV vs watching it via cable or dish...all thats going to happen is that cable and dish will jack up internet prices...its that simple.

The only way this makes sense is if you compare buying everything via itunes vs. apple streaming...you can not compare it to regular cable. Here is how..looking at my tv shows alone, my family watches 35 total spanning HBO, CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, CW, Starz, Showtime, etc. Thats anywhere from 12 to 24 episodes per season. lets take the minimum and say 35 shows * 12 episodes = 420. Thats 420 episodes per year we watch...at $3 a piece per itunes...thats $1260 a year...a little over $100 a month AT LEAST. Their justification of a $30-$40 a month subscription to watch MOST of those shows legally makes perfect sense this way. Either pay $40 a month to stream all your shows...or $100 to download and own all the shows.

i wish i had a better solution. But right now, there is nothing better than downloading every tv show i wanna watch...ripping it to itunes...and watching it at my leisure without a single commercial. Second to that would be to pay for Hulu and watch pretty much every show the day after it airs...with commercials and you dont get the big network stuff.

i dont see how paying for JUST the big bang theory, new girl, mindy project, portlandia, broad city, about a boy, scorpion, marvel, arrow, flash, person of interest...etc individually will ever be cheaper than buying bundled cable..from apple or whomever..

Also AC is a no brainer....its the latest standard...all apple products are going to AC its just natural for the ATV to get it

18. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

19. solarmon macrumors member

solarmon

Can I order it now? :)

I cannot wait to call up DirecTV and say: Bye Bye, please remove your junk from my property!

I hope the Weather Channel signs on because I would miss their coverage of storms...but I would live without that to be free of the $100+ a month Directv charges. Also, DTV's picture quality is the worst of the three sources I currently receive: HDTV antenna, Apple TV and Directv, so good riddance to a crappy picture.

20. mic j macrumors 68030

You should try Comcast and U-verse next to your Directv feed. You would appreciate it more. :)

21. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

22. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I did a similar analysis for my household, and I realized not all shows we watch are equal. Some shows are put on mostly as background noise rather than genuine watching. These shows are easily replaced with alternatives on any streaming service. Netflix has old episodes of House Hunters - I don't care how old the episode is. Some shows we watch are stupid sitcoms that are also easily replaced or forgotten. When you whittle down the list to the shows I would actually miss, I am left with a smaller list on mostly premium channels.

Next, many shows are inexpensive streaming options like Netflix or Amazon. Those should be removed from your dollar calculation. Many shows make episodes available online, such as the Daily Show. Those should also be removed from your dollar calculation.

It's impossible to replace cable with an identical experience while saving money. It is possible to re-evaluate what is important to you, and see what it is that cable is doing for you, and try to get the same ends (if not from the same shows).

Also, one advantage with buying shows on iTunes is that there are no commercials. I am not sure how much that is worth to you, but it's certainly worth something.

23. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

Cable providers have got to be hating this. I don't know why though Apple doesn't offer the channels ala carte. Let me build my own cable network by choosing my channels at $3-$5 each instead. The bundles are fine, but also let me choose.

I'd love to get just 2-3 channels for $10 to supplement my ATA antenna.

24. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

$5 is way too much for each channel. I watch maybe 9 channels, and no more and at $5 a channel that would be $45, and with my cable modem tacked on, it would be almost right where it is now that I pay. Not good. How about $2 max instead. ;) On top of that, my cable company gives me a break for a packaged deal, but without the cable channels they would increase my monthly bill. Also not good.