Apple's AR Team Includes Talent From Lucasfilm and Weta Digital, Smart Glasses Still 'A Ways Off'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 20, 2017 at 8:06 AM.

1. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

I'm not just looking at Apple here.

I see a world of possibilities.

AR will be massive.

2. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

This AR is attached to the aircraft. (yeah there is a move to attach it to the helmet in some cases ). A aircraft HUD isn't necessarily a car HUD. The questions is why is there one device that is a being used as a HUD in multiple different contexts.

Distracted driving is enough of a problem. More stuff in the driver's vision that is 100% on the task of driving is actually a more backward, not forward. If the task is fixed then where does the generic device plug in?

DSLR camera show settings in view finder for a long time at this point.

Old MIT Media lab demo from several years back did this ( been done and not rushed into a product). Don't know if virtual name tags and universal facial reg is go over well with folks.

3. Mactendo macrumors 65816

Glasses won't take off. Imagine everyone wearing the same glasses. And it will be banned everywhere. Smart lenses are the future, but it will take a long time to get there.

4. kbearh macrumors newbie

Wow, people in charge of successful companies really enjoy wasting money. In a world where our phones can't use GPS for too long w/o the battery immediately draining, yeah, this sounds like a reasonable thing to want. Lets spend millions on a useless DOA novelty. Smart.

5. sza macrumors 6502

From the past experience, the rumors are always right while the mockups are always wrong.

6. kmanmx, Mar 20, 2017 at 11:54 PM
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017 at 12:03 AM

kmanmx macrumors 6502

That's a poor thing to say though. The fundamental technologies required for good AR and VR have just not existed until now, and even now, they are still in their infancy and provide questionable quality.

If Apple had released iPhone in 1985 and were doing their 10th anniversary iPhone in 1995, it would still be a terrible phone compared to the very first iPhone in 2005.

I don't see how something as, lets face it, crappy has Snapchat can succeed and be popular - but you don't see that AR is likely to do the same. AR can basically do everything a smartphone can but much better (atleast it will be able to some day), plus a lot of unique things as well.

7. bollman macrumors member

Does anyone think that AR will be that sanctity of possibilites run by the user? I'm not so sure. Someone posted this dystopical video before and I'm starting to believe this is a more likely future for AR...

8. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

The real reason behind people not using Siri or 3D Touch is that is not that useful for most of the people. It was hyped as the next big thing and yet it is going down the same way as 3D TVs, curves screen monitors and stuff like that. Lets see what happens with AR and VR.

9. Lepton macrumors 6502a

Lepton

You know that iPad Mini that was just updated? That would be a great AR device! [short of glasses] AR is one case where you actually DO want to hold up a big screen in front of your face.

10. macs4nw macrumors 68040

macs4nw

No doubt it's coming but I too need more convincing and to see some concrete examples of useful applications.

11. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Applications are not hard to imagine, but obviously a lot harder to build...

12. M.PaulCezanne macrumors member

M.PaulCezanne

Totally agree with nwcs. It simply can't be good for brain function, particularly brain development in children, to constantly rely on electronics and a screen to tell you to "walk 65 meters and then walk down the stairs." Like most tech, AR can probably enhance productivity in certain aspects of life (e.g., heads up displays for fighter pilots), but IS, and always will be, just a parlor trick with others. Not that parlor tricks are always bad. For example, gaming might be good application for most consumer level AR, but as a productivity tool there's a good chance it'll most often be as harmful as it is helpful.

The other problem with the demo pic is that while it may be augmented, it isn't true reality. If it were, it would have advertisements plastered all over it, which (without sounding too cynical) is the true purpose of most consumer level applications of such sophisticated technology.

13. LordVic macrumors 68040

In my 30+ years on this earth, and seeing technology go from giant computers and floor sized mainframes to what we have today, Realism and experience have nothing to do with it. Realism and experience have taught me that never, ever, under-estimate humankind ingenuity to take advantage of new technologies in creative and interesting ways.

just because you and I aren't creative. Doesn't mean that there aren't others who are. There are almost 7 billion humans on this earth. i'm sure even a few hundred could surprise us.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I cut out the rest of the post because I agree, and it's boring to just state that.

However, on this side you gave me a great idea for AR Adblocks once AR glasses are an actual thing. Try to imagine America without seeing the thousands of unsolicited ads we have thrown in our faces every day, bet you can't. Imagine in a Twighlight Zone-esque world where the masses have to turn to AR to actually drill back down to the natural world without Pepsi slogans and sickly looking models plastered as far as the eye can see! :eek:

15. M.PaulCezanne macrumors member

M.PaulCezanne

Well, in keeping with that time-honored business model of creating the problem to sell the solution, I think you have something there! Maybe we'll need AR just to see past all the crap!

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What a world, what a wooooooooorld.

17. smallcoffee macrumors 6502

Gaming is probably the least imaginative use for AR that one could think of.

The rest of your post is pure conjecture, and to which I reply: nah.